My old awning is bad shape. I bought a new awning fabric on ebay for $140.
Extended my old awning, then just cut it in half so I had room to work and could take it off easier.
I put a stake and ziptied it to the awning frame on the back end, just to keep things lined up while I was yanking and pulling the new awning on and the old one off.
You can see at the front end, there is already one open hold for the valence, but you have to drill out a rivet, remove the cap, and deal with the spring to get the main awning out.
What if there was a better way....
First, I taped the up/down switch so I couldn't do something dumb.
Then I drilled a hole.
Ran my air hose out from the garage
And used a little air grinder to grind it open,
Smooth it out with a file, and your good to go!
I had the new awning on in about an hour of cursing, yanking and tugging, with some help from my wife and my neighbor. I got it about half way on by myself, but I was only making about 3 inches of progress at a time before I'd have to get down off the ladder and pull from the other direction.
To hold the awning in place, I still put the screw back in place up top, and on the bottom I just filled the end of the track in with some silicone. Easy enough to pull out if I ever need to replace the fabric again, but will keep the awning from somehow coming out. Although I seriously doubt it would have ever happened had I not done that either, its a real pain to get that thing in there.
All zipped up and ready for a camping trip next weekend! We're going to Red River Gorge in Kentucky.