Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #1

Question Instant tankless waterheaters

I was wondering if anyone has done any research on these, I would love to have more hot water, we live full time and are parked and skirted, I was wondering if it is worth the investment.
montanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #2

Lots of current draw for shower quality hot water. The under-sink models that get the water very warm are still pushing the RV current load capibilities.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #3

amperage draw was why we didnt choose to add one in ours.
1st the 120 volts models can pull 75 amps
and the 230 volt models go upwards of 25-30 amps

even a 50 amp rv cord and breaker box just inst going t cover the load
a 50 amp service is two 120 volt lines with 50 amps available on each line, technically you do have 230 volts , but you would not have any power left over for anything else and the park pedastal might just do a melt down
However if your a park model and set in, you might be able to work a deal to get a separate power line off the parks main line and run a you a 230 circuit thats dedicated the water heater.

this being said i did find a few that might be suitable depending on your water flow requirments
this one is 230 vlts and needs three LIVES plus an earth ground. OUCH
67amps

120volt 29 amp

if you do decide to do it
please do a write up or MOD for all us Rvers
Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #4

What about the RV500 propane tankless heater? Has anyone used one of those? Here's a link: http://www.gaswaterheaters.com/boats...V500/index.htm
sushidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Kind of a Big Deal

I know that Bosch make's a model that requires no power. It used to be sold at Home Depot but i noticed it is not there anymore. My brother in law installed one at his friend's cabin far north (we are plumbers). The flow of the water creates dc power, which powers the gas valve and safeties. Maybe do some digging and you'll come up with a place that sells them....................
YZ450 and TTR-50 for the boy
Todddob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todddob View Post
I know that Bosch make's a model that requires no power. It used to be sold at Home Depot but i noticed it is not there anymore. My brother in law installed one at his friend's cabin far north (we are plumbers). The flow of the water creates dc power, which powers the gas valve and safeties. Maybe do some digging and you'll come up with a place that sells them....................
thats a ticket right there, use the electromotive force of speeding molecules. very NASA .

I like it
i did see the gas fired heaters,
an ingenous person could use that waste heat to heat the rv or make electricity
lp powered
this ne needs 120 volts to light the sparker.....and pricey, but
less money
i fully support green technology
thanks the input
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #7

http://www.boschhotwater.com/BoschMo...4/Default.aspx

This does sound interesting. Don't know about mounting, though. Maybe some of you plumbers could advise.
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
Kind of a Big Deal

Maybe could be mounted at the back of a closet, and direct vented straight back off the top of the heater. Run a propane line to it and re-rout some water lines to it. Nothing an afternoon and a dozen beer couldn't solve. haha
YZ450 and TTR-50 for the boy
Todddob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #9

this is a doable project
it weighs 33 pounds or so
plus maybe 3 gallons of water
still puts it at less weight than a full 10 gallon heater ( 80 lbs plus or minus)
and the actual size is not to big either, it would easily fit in the basement when the old water heater is GONE

you guys should get the gold star for making us use our brains and think out side the norm for rvs
Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #10

Here where I work, we have an insta hot unit called I.S.E.[in-sink-erator]. There are two different models, W152 and W154. The W152 is a 2 1/2 gallon and the W154 is 4.0 gallon, they both are 1500 watts 12.5 amps @ 120 volts. They both have an adjustable thermostat 110-170 degrees F. This unit is made by Emerson Electric Company 4700 21st Street, Racine, Wis 53406. Toll free number 1-800-558-5700. We do have another one as well called a Titan but I don't have the manuel in front of me at the moment I have to locate it.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #11

We have the Bosh model in our house and it works great. They now make models that can be externally mounted in a little open "shed dormer" that hangs on the outside of the house (or coach). We save a billion - well not really - bucks a year on not heating and reheating the same water. It's an easy setup. I did ours and I'm just a jack-of-most trades kinda guy. Some of the new propane ones use the flow of water - caused by the open hot water valve - to spin a small generator that kicks the spark and opens the gas line. Ours is totally power free, but it needs a constant pilot light. While a bit expensive up front, we figured ours paid for itself in about 3.5 years. BTW ours is mounted in a small broom closet in the bathroom. We NEVER run out of hot water. There is a bit of a time delay for the water to get hot, say 10-15 seconds.

Mom & Me (both USAF Ret)
w/Jake & Buddy
2008.5 F-350SD SC
Lariat Long Bed w/6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel 6x6
2007 Palomino Prototype WinterCreek 11.5' Slideout TC loaded
Bruisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #12

I like the idea, but you would have to be careful and frugal with your water supply while boondocking. That 10-15 second delay would waste valuable water unless you captured it and recycled it. Small price to pay for what you have, though.

Just looked on the Lowes website and they list the 1600H LP unit for $741 (with the possibility of a $300 tax rebate). If I was fulltiming I would consider it for my Sandpiper, but for the time being I'll just keep my Suburban 6 gal. However, I'm thinking seriously about putting one in here in my stickhouse. I'm on municipal water so I would have hot water when the power is out. And it's got to be cheaper than the unit I have now.
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote