Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Insurance Advice for First Timer

First year with the motorhome, loved every minute. I just cancelled my insurance for the winter months. Should I get something for theft and fire, or is that covered under another insurance?
kthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

If it is in storage, or parked for winter, just put comprehensive on it. They will ask what it is worth. Comp is fire and theft only and is cheap to insure. Good luck.
ptdonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoms View Post
First year with the motorhome, loved every minute. I just cancelled my insurance for the winter months. Should I get something for theft and fire, or is that covered under another insurance?

Can you do that!? In the 2 states I've held residence in, you had to show proof to the insurance company that you had turned in your tags/plates to DMV before they would cancel any insurance.

Also, if you own your home, and park it on your property, it will probably be covered by your homeowners policy.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #4

That was one of the reasons I got my insurance through Good Sam. They allow you to pause all coverage except comprehensive for storage during the winter months. They send you a check at the end of the term for the refunded premium.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #5

I'm not sure that would be legal in Virginia. Our laws require property and personal injury coverage if you have current plates. There is no provision, as far as I know, for pausing that without turning in your plates. While Good Sam may be willing to do it, it may not be legal.

However, if your insurance company is willing to reduce the cost based upon your statement that it is only in storage, without actually dropping the coverage, then that is a different ball game

Charlie

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS3 View Post
I'm not sure that would be legal in Virginia. Our laws require property and personal injury coverage if you have current plates. There is no provision, as far as I know, for pausing that without turning in your plates. While Good Sam may be willing to do it, it may not be legal.
Interesting, never thought of that. I will have to inquire about that. The TT is stored at a county operated storage facility, so maybe that makes a difference.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #7

In Michigan, anything with it's own title has to be insured on it's own. My travel trailer wouldn't be covered by homeowners if I cancelled ins.
ptdonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
D W

I remember many years ago, while in the Army, I was stationed in a state that I'll only refer to as the "Peoples' Republik", where the DMV was linked to the insurance companies. If you let your mandatory Liability coverage lapse, the insurance company would notify the DMV and a State Trooper would be dispatched to the address listed on the registration to take your plates (tags) away. You were also presented with a Summons with an administrative hearing date with the DMV.
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Can you do that!? In the 2 states I've held residence in, you had to show proof to the insurance company that you had turned in your tags/plates to DMV before they would cancel any insurance.

Also, if you own your home, and park it on your property, it will probably be covered by your homeowners policy.
My homeowner's insurance ((State Farm) won't cover my fifth wheel in storage). I am more worried about a tree falling through the garage or directly on it when it's outside more than anything so I keep comprehensive on it. Better check with your insurance agent before thinking your homeowners will cover it. It's pretty inexpensive anyway.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #10

As an insurance agent, I can tell you it wouldn't be covered under your homeowners. The only problem I see with dropping to comprehensive, is forgetting to change it back once you're ready to start camping in the spring.��
kevndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #11

I would be VERY careful. I wasn't using mine when a freak storm came through and blew 2 trees on it. Insurance paid without question. They will never recover enough from me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1478719210.497137.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	124976

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #12

Insurance coverage

I live in Arkansas and my 5'er is covered under my homeowners policy and listed on it with complete coverage just like a second home because that is what it is. So it is covered on the road or when under the carport when not in use.
Southern Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #13

My full coverage insurance for my brand new $35k TT is about $300 per year. What would one realistically expect to save by dropping coverage for the winter months?
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #14
Newly Retired

Compare the savings to to possible loss.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #15

I live in MI and have always dropped the insurance on both my tow vehicle and TT down to comprehensive only for the winter months. Our homeowners does not insure my TT. I was financed through a credit union for one of my TTs and they would only permit me to suspend the insurance on the TT for up to 6 months out of the year, which still worked well for me. The savings is enough that it is worthwhile for me to suspend coverage, except for comp, from November to May every year. I've never forgotten to reactivate the insurance for my tow vehicle or my TT once I'm ready to hit the road again.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #16

No ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post

I've had two claims for storm damage to two different M/H and both claims were denied "because they have an engine". No homeowners coverage, except for property theft from M/H. At least that's my experience. Did get coverage for the car trailer roof, not motorized.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #17

Most here are famous for spending other people's money, but for me a $1-200 difference there is no way I would chance it. My liability is covered by my truck(hello I am towing) and the comprehensive is on its own policy. Mine is like $20 a month.

another thing to think about... suppose you are working on it in the off season and something happens...is it gonna be covered?
Old 11-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Most here are famous for spending other people's money, but for me a $1-200 difference there is no way I would chance it. My liability is covered by my truck(hello I am towing) and the comprehensive is on its own policy. Mine is like $20 a month.

another thing to think about... suppose you are working on it in the off season and something happens...is it gonna be covered?

You have no collision coverage?

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
That was one of the reasons I got my insurance through Good Sam. They allow you to pause all coverage except comprehensive for storage during the winter months. They send you a check at the end of the term for the refunded premium.

I have a feeling they are keeping your insurance in-force and sending you the check if you don't file a claim during that time period.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
You have no collision coverage?

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

Sorry. I am no insurance guru... my TV has part of the insurance and the RV has whatever the insurance company said I needed on it, but they said the TV covered it when towing. I don't pretend to know. I trust them I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
first time, insurance