Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #1

Insurance Carrier

Hey FR friends. Does anyone have an opinion on TT insurance carriers? I use Southern States for home and auto. They would not cover my Harley so I pretty sure they won’t cover TTs.
HarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:53 PM   #2

i have Hartford,, AARP. 2 trucks and 2016 puma toyhauler, all on one policy. Geico for my can am spyder motorcycle ins. best rates fir motorcycles.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:00 PM   #3

We have Formost through Geico.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:28 PM   #4

Responses to insurance carrier questions are typically, “I have <blank> insurance”, where <blank> can be any one of 30 or more different names. In addition, no two people will be paying the same rates.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #5
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Allstate here. Mine is a rider on our auto policies. Very reasonable premium with a $250 deductible. We had one MAJOR claim (in excess of $14k) and it was paid in full, no ifs, ands, or buts. AND -- our premium did not increase!

I don't know how it is as a stand alone (without auto or home), but it's a good deal for us.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarMar View Post
Hey FR friends. Does anyone have an opinion on TT insurance carriers? I use Southern States for home and auto. They would not cover my Harley so I pretty sure they won’t cover TTs.
I had progressive on my last TT, switched to Overland / General RV (not the one on TV in the uniform). I'm paying $200 less a year for my brand new TT than I was on my 2004! Check them out at www.rvins.com
Old 02-17-2021, 06:03 PM   #7
dm6

So what exactly does the insurance cover on a travel trailer? While you are on the road, I believe your auto insurance will cover the liability portion if you get in a wreck. But does the insurance on the trailer cover damage from fallen trees, leaky roof, broken pipe, etc.?
dm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:14 PM   #8
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm6 View Post
So what exactly does the insurance cover on a travel trailer? While you are on the road, I believe your auto insurance will cover the liability portion if you get in a wreck. But does the insurance on the trailer cover damage from fallen trees, leaky roof, broken pipe, etc.?

No, those things are usually covered by homeowners insurance if it's parked in the yard and unattached structures are covered. RV insurance covers everything left out of liability insurance. A finance company will require you to carry "total loss" insurance so they don't lose money when you total your TT and your auto insurance only issues you $1,500 for repairs. Each state is different, each auto policy, homeowner policy and RV policy varies.

https://www.progressive.com/answers/rv-101/
Old 02-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:

I believe my Progressive insurance covers all that, the only reason to have RV insurance really. Also covers loss of RV contents. I think it has a vanishing deductible too. I was paying 200 per year, but now it's up to 207. Terrible.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:44 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

lwbfl, thanks for link, haven't looked at it in awhile. It's nice to see so much is covered!
Quote:
Comprehensive protects your RV from theft, vandalism, windshield damage, acts of nature, rocks and debris kicked up by other vehicles, and accidents/impact with animals. A deductible applies.
I expected that, but all the other stuff is nice to have!
Old 02-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #11

Like Njkris I have progressive also. About the cheapest I found and when I search with Goodsam They come back with Progressive also. About $200 and change a year
Old 02-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #12

State Farm was the cheapest in my area for the 5th wheel. My car and home insurance company wanted almost double the amount.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:38 AM   #13

as an agent, I can tell you, from a customer's point of view, that there is simply NO WAY to easily and quickly find 'cheap' insurance for your RV, unless you want to take the first offer someone quotes you. There are just too many variables and options, and even companies that either insure your RV on the same policy with your vehicles, many who only insure them on a separate policy, some that only insure towable RVs and not drivable RVs, and those that insure NO RVs... there is no 'standard', it's up to the insurance company.
Many folks are also finding it interesting that, like Geico and others, while the insurance company may 'quote' you RV insurance, they are really never going to put it on 'their' policy, they are simply acting as any other independent insurance agency and giving you a quote from one of their 'other' companies that they partner with, such as FOREMOST.

It is certainly a CHORE with RVs - it's not a simple quote.

Yes, it is a CHORE to do, there is no 'easy' way. It's a process, and you'll have similar questions from some providers, and totally different questions from others, and you'll find yourself quickly deciding that this is just too much work and time - let you local independent agent give you some free advice, and let them do it for you - they have several companies that they can simultaneously quote with and give you several options, all with one stop, or call.

Some companies also don't allow for 'full time' usage, as they don't want the risk of having to provide the personal liability on the RV policy, they want you to have that thru your Home Insurance policy. Some don't allow RV coverage for those who 'park' their RV for seasonal usage, either. They want you to be traveling with it, not parking it. Strange, but true.

Most RV insurance is pretty cheap, simply because most RVs are typically only used sparingly, several times per year, and mostly for short periods even then. The likeliest claim that ever occurs with RVs is the 'tail swing' accident, most likely at fuel stations. Secondly it's probably hail damage or a tree limb falling on the unit.

The only REAL way to know what your options are, in your state, for your type of RV, and for your personal needs, is to CHECK AROUND at all insurance agencies, whether brick-and-mortar, 1-800 numbers, or online. Chances are, you'll find a BIG difference between many quotes, price wise, but also many differences in COVERAGE, as well. Not all policies are alike, and many are very different.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #14

One thing to remember about insurance companies. They are real good at taking your money but stink at paying it back out.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
One thing to remember about insurance companies. They are real good at taking your money but stink at paying it back out.
I have not had that issue with my insurance companies. I have to place claims for both auto and home. Both went very smoothly and fairly. I also pay what I consider reasonable rates. You can check the box and be legally covered or you can get good insurance.

My biggest issue, with auto especially, is the other guys insurance trying to place partial blame on me even when their insured admitted 100% fault to the responding officer. Both Geico and Progressive like to do this. Fortunately, my insurance company did their part and got the matter resolved in my favor quickly.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:35 AM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
I have had good luck with NJM. See if you are eligible for them. But even they are tight with purse strings, which I normally appreciate, keeps my premiums low. Had to sue them to get them to pay out on an under-insured motorist claim following a horrible crash back in '15. Sometimes lawyers are good!
Old 02-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #17
Retired Army MSG!

X 2 on Progressive coverage. I just traded my Coachmen 5vr for a Cherokee. I had used my Travelers policy for homeowners and vehicles including RV for several years. My Coachmen was a 2015 and the new Cherokee is a 2021. My RV policy premium increased pretty significantly. Being a Good Sam member I went out on a limb and contacted them. They set me up with Progressive for 1 year for like a $150 more than six month premium at travelers, and if RV is destroyed anyplace I get a brand new replacement for $500 deductible.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I have had good luck with NJM. See if you are eligible for them. But even they are tight with purse strings, which I normally appreciate, keeps my premiums low. Had to sue them to get them to pay out on an under-insured motorist claim following a horrible crash back in '15. Sometimes lawyers are good!
I had a bad experience with them with a work related injury about 20 years ago. Long story short they threatened and and said If I seek another Doc's opinion they would make me liable for all medical bill's. Of course I shut them up, but the intimidation was not right. I know they are cheap but I have a personal peeve with them.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #19
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Ours did with severe tree damage, replaced entire roof and sub room sections -- see post 5.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Allstate here. Mine is a rider on our auto policies. Very reasonable premium with a $250 deductible. We had one MAJOR claim (in excess of $14k) and it was paid in full, no ifs, ands, or buts. AND -- our premium did not increase!

I don't know how it is as a stand alone (without auto or home), but it's a good deal for us.

+1 for Allstate
beatnix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance