Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #21

I think you said the root cause was a leak that you haven't been able to trace right?
If so...then you'd be subjecting the new flooring to the same water incursion that destroyed the old one. That may buy you a few more years but I'd suggest you also do all the roof edges/seams with Eterna Bond and refresh every through fitting with Dicor to try to head off the issue in the future even if it is impossible to find the source at present.
Further suggest the use of a moisture barrier plastic below the new floor and water resistant marine plywood as your base so it won't turn to mush as easily as standard glues do. If you don't like the raised 1/4 round idea...you could simply overlay plywood on everything and then put in a whole new flooring of your choice.

Good luck with the decision making and fingers crossed on the insurance!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #22

I wouldnt be too quick to dismiss any future Forest River or Rockwood product as there have been, and will continue to be, changes in materials and production methods over the years. Floor construction today is much better.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I think you said the root cause was a leak that you haven't been able to trace right?
If so...then you'd be subjecting the new flooring to the same water incursion that destroyed the old one. That may buy you a few more years but I'd suggest you also do all the roof edges/seams with Eterna Bond and refresh every through fitting with Dicor to try to head off the issue in the future even if it is impossible to find the source at present.
Further suggest the use of a moisture barrier plastic below the new floor and water resistant marine plywood as your base so it won't turn to mush as easily as standard glues do. If you don't like the raised 1/4 round idea...you could simply overlay plywood on everything and then put in a whole new flooring of your choice.

Good luck with the decision making and fingers crossed on the insurance!
I have been thinking about the floor, assuming they will deny the claim. Do you think I could glue cdx plywood over the good as well as the soft area, and then put a laminate plank flooring over that ? It would just be the entry and kitchen area, the rest would remain the same. I have 3 slides the flooring there will remain. The kitchen and the entry would be slightly raised, but i think I could live with it. any issues with laminate flooring in a rv ? will it flex enough to survive ? I could put more luan on the floor then laminate on that, Just thinking about options. Every exterior seam would be caulked to prevent any further damage from water. I will check the awning brackets as well.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #24
MCTroy

I think the ragged floor sounds nice!
We had the floor of our boat go bad. We took up the rotten plywood, and found the floor had big gaps where water was gathering...in an open boat there is no keeping it dry. We filled it with foam that hardened then put marine plywood down. Several years later it is still solid. Maybe something like that could help? Good luck.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #25

Well Geico claims rep. called me this afternoon. He said he along with the owner of the rv dealership inspected the camper, and that he found the floor was soft, but could find no evidence of a water leak, all the seals look great. His only explaination was the way the floor is built. ( he is not a structural engineer ) the luan is placed over styrofoam , then the laminate is placed over it. This is all done to reduce weight. I never could find a water leak I just assumed that since the floor was spongy it was damage from water. Thanks for all the responses , they were very helpful. They gave me options for repair that I had never thought of. It also gave me some time to find a friend of a friend, that is a master carpenter that can do the fix. It helps that I am in no hurry for the fix gives the carpenter at least 2 months or more to do the repair.. as someone said, it may be able to be fixed from underneath, I have a full underbody enclosure . Thanks again for all the help. needless to say the claim was denied.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Well Geico claims rep. called me this afternoon. He said he along with the owner of the rv dealership inspected the camper, and that he found the floor was soft, but could find no evidence of a water leak, all the seals look great. His only explaination was the way the floor is built. ( he is not a structural engineer ) the luan is placed over styrofoam , then the laminate is placed over it. This is all done to reduce weight. I never could find a water leak I just assumed that since the floor was spongy it was damage from water. Thanks for all the responses , they were very helpful. They gave me options for repair that I had never thought of. It also gave me some time to find a friend of a friend, that is a master carpenter that can do the fix. It helps that I am in no hurry for the fix gives the carpenter at least 2 months or more to do the repair.. as someone said, it may be able to be fixed from underneath, I have a full underbody enclosure . Thanks again for all the help. needless to say the claim was denied.

Thanks for posting the final outcome. Glad there was NO water damage...and yes...I think your plan to plywood over the whole floor & relaminate would work fine to be an inexpensive fix and a nice chance to update the look of the camper. Good luck on your new project!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #27

There are lots of campers made with this type of floor. It is the same as the walls in several of the very expensive campers. My friend repaired his by cutting out the top thin layer of wood in the soft area and replacing it with a piece of aluminum the same thickness. Be careful to not cut the aluminum floor joists when you do this. you can frame the area that you cut out with flat aluminum pieces the strengthen the joint area.

A very common place for water to enter at the door is the ends of the threshold. Everyone should seal this area, even on a new camper.
wvcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:05 PM   #28

The door will be sealed REALLY good. May try looking under the camper and shore it up there. I have some really talented guys working on it. Looking forward to it. thanks again.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #29

Sad. Quick to sell. Same with our crappy furniture. Pleather
punki220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #30

I had a problem with a 2011 RV manufactured by another vendor. The floor construction was similar to yours-thin plywood on top, 1.5" styrofoam type material in the middle, and another thin plywood layer underneath, all glued together. Although the warranty had expired the manufacturer first paid a local shop a lot of money to further support the original floor from underneath using 3/4 plywood and additional framing members. There was still a problem, so at my request the local shop asked the manufacturer for more funding to do additional work. Rather than continue with the local efforts, the manufacturer responded that they would pay all costs to tow our RV back to the plant, completely replace the floor and return it to us. And that, plus other repairs, is exactly what they did. Total cost had to be more than the value of the RV. So, if there is no resolution through your insurance company, contacting Forest River is well worth a try. Your level of maintenance is exemplary. We can only trust that this issue will be resolved in your favour.
wilfb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #31

Soggy Floor

We have a 2015 Surveyor that has had have the same problem. The styrofoam breaks down and the floor becomes spongy. I dropped the belly cover from the front to over the axles. You can bend it over the axles and leave it on the ground. I added an L support between the frame and then added a 2 X 3 plate under the spongy area. The floor still feels spongy but it has solid support so I know its not going to fail and its not that difficult to reinstall the belly cover. Also added a strap under the center of the fresh water tank. It had sagged several inches in the center of the tank.
Mike 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #32

If you put plywood and then laminate flooring over top how are your slides going to clear that new floor height?
FirstFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #33
Lifesylers

Who told you Forest River top of the line they are very near the bottom of the list. I will never own one again ever ever ever. Will be buying another in 2 months, but it will not be FR... owner of poorly built FR Berkshire 40 XL DP
Old 12-15-2020, 01:02 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestylers View Post
Who told you Forest River top of the line they are very near the bottom of the list. I will never own one again ever ever ever. Will be buying another in 2 months, but it will not be FR... owner of poorly built FR Berkshire 40 XL DP
Who are you asking? It's best to quote the party you're asking.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:54 AM   #35

In 1997 we had a 24' travel trailer that got broken into via rear side window. Rain water entered through the break and softened the floor. We had State Farm Insurance at the time. Replacing the window didn't make the deductible. State Farm denied us on the related floor damage. We found a good mom & pop repair facility that had the window we needed as NOS. They raised the body off the frame (somehow) and replaced the chip-board underfloor with strong water resistant plywood. Entire job cost us $1100.00. Mom & pop made it better than new while State Farm grinched us! We've been with GEICO for some time now. Our only claim was for 1 accident caused by an uninsured motorist. GEICO gives us better service with the same coverage for 25% less cost than State Farm.
northerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:42 AM   #36

We had looked at a 2014 Windjammer with some soft spots on the floor. The dealership that had it used to build rvs 20 years ago. They showed me that the glue between the top layer of luan and the insulation had failed allowing the luan to lift up. It gave the feel of a spongy floor. While they were in there they added more bracing cross members. The sponginess still remained but would never get worse. Our 2011 doesn't have any soft spots other than the one I created in the bathroom and fixed. That has held up real well.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #37

i had a similar issue with a soft spot infront of my sliding doors. ( I had a destination trailer). i had a local RV repair guy come out. he took out the door. tore out the old floor and installed new plywood. cost me around $500. Its worth looking into.
Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
I would call the following:
Rockwood Customer Service
574-642-8943
rockwoodowners@forestriverinc.com
Ask THEM about warranty services!
Sometimes you have to go around the dealer - I did and it worked with my Puma!

2020 Puma 257RESS
2020 Ram 2500 4 X 4
Centerville, Texas
Living to work and Working to live!
Sharonogoingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #39

There is a reason Geico can save you a ton of money on your car insurance. It's because their service is non-existent, and they cut every corner possible when approving/dis-approving claims. My experience with Geico was as the person with the car that was damaged by a Geico insured driver. They pulled all kinds of tricks, handled all of the scheduling with my body shop and then tried to deny 4 weeks of rental car bill when it was their scheduling that caused the delays. Then my estimator told me of all the short cuts the adjuster wanted to take on our 1 year old car so they didn't have to pay out as much for the repairs. Luckily I take all my body work to a reputable dealership owned body shop and they do not cut corners. They tried to only approve 3 days of the 4 week rental and that was after going full Karen on them and going up a couple levels of management. All I had to do was post this same story on their Facebook page and within 15 minutes got a call from a district manager that they were paying the entire rental bill.

On the other hand, I have RV insurance through State Farm. I found a hole in the roof of our trailer after sitting 1-2 years untouched that had rotted a significant area of the roof. I called SF and with very few questions asked, they told me to take it in for an estimate. They approved replacing the entire roof to the tune of $7000 on a trailer that was maybe worth $10k. Based on what I've heard, if the repairs are less than 70% of the value of the trailer they will fix before calling it a total loss.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonogoingsolo View Post
I would call the following:
Rockwood Customer Service
574-642-8943
rockwoodowners@forestriverinc.com
Ask THEM about warranty services!
Sometimes you have to go around the dealer - I did and it worked with my Puma!
The OP has a 2012 TT, making it 9 years old.
It has been out of warranty for 8 years, so not sure why Rockwood Warranty department should be involved.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, water