Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFiver View Post
If you put plywood and then laminate flooring over top how are your slides going to clear that new floor height?
I have 3 slides 1 in the bedroom and 2 opposing slides in the living area. The soft/spongy area is in the kitchen area only, no slides. I feel that area could be covered with plywood and laminate floor, the floor will be slightly raised coming from the living area and well as the bedroom and the bath. May explore other options, but it was suggested on this forum and seemed like a logical/ cost effective solution. We will see how that plays out, good thing there is no evidence of water intrusion , still a mystery why it happened.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #42

If your going to that kind of trouble, I think you would be much better off removing the under belly liner and adding support under the unsupported section. If I saw a repair like you are talking about on a rig I was looking to purchase I would run away. You can put the liner back after the repairs and mine is just stapled up under there.

On the other hand, my trailer has some areas with less support and those areas have been a bit springy compared to other areas for the many years we've owned it.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
I have 3 slides 1 in the bedroom and 2 opposing slides in the living area. The soft/spongy area is in the kitchen area only, no slides. I feel that area could be covered with plywood and laminate floor, the floor will be slightly raised coming from the living area and well as the bedroom and the bath. May explore other options, but it was suggested on this forum and seemed like a logical/ cost effective solution. We will see how that plays out, good thing there is no evidence of water intrusion , still a mystery why it happened.
That would become a tripping hazard, or at the very least a stub your toe hazard, with that much height difference in the floors.
FirstFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #44
Dano

Water damage being covered by a warranty is slippery and squishy. Even when it's not a claim on a structure, house components, or furnishings. I have a 2014 Legacy pusher (purchased new), and in 2017 I had the electronic shift selector for my Allison transmission acting up - the gear selected digit would go blank. I took it in and claimed it against my CW extended warranty. Because the mechanic's notes stated there was "moisture" in the cover on the shifting servo (electronically shifts the trans), the $1700 repair was denied for "water damage". Clearly defined as excluded in my policy. Remember this is attached to the side of my transmission, under the rig, out in the WET open. Traveling down the WET highways, ... And it was most likely simple condensation from the hot and cold collected on the inside of the cover.

So I posed the question to the underwriter - If the water pump gave up and sent a piece into the block, or the head gasket failed, sending water into the engine, and destroyed it, would it be covered?

You guessed it - NO - "water damage"

OMG!

So I'm awaiting the response here.
dmwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #45

The insurance company's hold all the cards, we just pay them. I think I got a fair shot at my claim. Base on the type of damage, soft mushy floor in front of the door. I just assumed it was water damage, although I never observed any water coming in while camping or discovered while stored. The adjuster stated that it would be covered if they found evidence of water, they found none. Now for the repairs. I will be having a friend repair it, he is very talented and does good work on whatever he is working on. He just restored his camper, We will look at all options and decide the best route. I do like the idea of going under the camper and shore up the floor that way...stay tuned. He will start after the holidays.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #46
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKonyha View Post
We had looked at a 2014 Windjammer with some soft spots on the floor. The dealership that had it used to build rvs 20 years ago. They showed me that the glue between the top layer of luan and the insulation had failed allowing the luan to lift up. It gave the feel of a spongy floor. While they were in there they added more bracing cross members. The sponginess still remained but would never get worse. Our 2011 doesn't have any soft spots other than the one I created in the bathroom and fixed. That has held up real well.
What process did you use to fix it?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP has a 2012 TT, making it 9 years old.
It has been out of warranty for 8 years, so not sure why Rockwood Warranty department should be involved.
I didn't see that - I only saw that the dealer was involved. However, if it WAS because of the way the floor was constructed, it could be worth a shot. There shouldn't be a time constraint on repairing design flaws and Rockwood or Forest River would be the ones to contact - maybe I should have said customer service instead of warranty.
Sharonogoingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #48

Its probably a design flaw, depending on how many other products have similar issues. The problem would be that you would be disputing the engineer that designed the construction of the trailer. it would be an interesting call. I will reach out to them after the holidays. I am sure there are others with the same type of issues, but were they documented ? still a good thing, no water intrusion, seams are doing what they are supposed to.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #49

Floor update ; had a local rv guy look at the soft spots, after removing the floor in the kitchen area, most of it was still wet and had black mildew, he located the source of the incoming water. There was a section of the fender liner under the trailer that had close to a 1/2 inch gap in it. That gap went right to the under belly of the camper. The stryofoam and luan had just come apart due to the water. He is now in the process of installing a new floor complete with the underlayment ( minus the luan ) using cdx plywood instead. The fender wheel gap was just on the entry door side, the other side was tight I have a full enclosed underbelly so the water was trapped. The camper did not go through deep water ever, however it has been driven on roads during heavy rain, after looking at it there was now way water could get out. Also never had any tires blow out, that would have caused damage. So add that to your check list of things to be aware of. stay tuned.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #50
MCTroy

Thanks for the update. Guess I will be crawling under the trailer to check those fenders out when it warms up. Good luck on the repairs!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:10 PM   #51

I was amazed at the gap in the fender well, gonna use a marine sealant to repair, its very flexable and water proof, and it not affected by temp changes. Marine is a tough enviroment.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #52

I dumped the Forever Warranty after the first year. Dealership was charging $200 for each yearly inspection! Putting that money in the bank instead.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:06 PM   #53

I am dumping mine also, I have been spending around 250 per year for the last 8 years. They were no help to me.

Tags
insurance, water