Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
USAA has had a loyalty program for years. It's called a Subscriber Savings Account. It pays the insured dividends based on their policy and claims every year, so it's not beyond the realm of impossibilities.
It's not a loyalty program. It's a return of premium they have charged you an you have paid which they kept as a cushion against widespread catastrophic losses which did not occur. If you leave USAA, they have to pay you the balance in that subscriber savings account within 6 months.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #22

7 years ago I had USAA and thought I was getting a good deal for my 2 vehicles and TT. I shopped around just comparing costs and found that I could save 600.00 a year switching to GEICO, which I did. Every year that I was GEICO I would shop costs and up until this year GEICO was the least expensive. This year, USAA saved me over 1000.00 a year for both my vehicles ( I have a F450 and GEICO classified it as a commercial vehicle even though I only use it to pull my TT), I kep my TT coverage with GEICO as they were much less expensive than USAA.

Now I just shop insurance rates every 6 months or so.
jenandrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #23

IF your camper is kept at a WI campground, then, after my extensive research, it looks like to me that American Family Insurance is the VERY best way to insure it! I'm not 100% certain, but it looks like they will come forth better than anyone else, by far. The only limit I see is that they will not do a complete Total Replacement clause on a camper that is not just newly purchased, BUT, they will declare a Replacement Value for the Original Cost of the camper, with no depreciation applied. Just not sure how long that clause will remain in effect. All of the other coverages are INCLUDED and better than the competition! They rate it as a "manufactured homeowners policy". Well done as I see it thus far !
Old 10-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #24

Move to Michigan and you would beg to get that 459.
SSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSandman View Post
Move to Michigan and you would beg to get that 459.
Who are you referring to? You didn't quote their post.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #26
Dahagen

My rates jumped a bunch suddenly so I called the insurance company. They told me that it was because I turned 75 years old!
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #27

A couple years ago the renewal rate for just my car and myself was going up by 50% with Progressive. I started shopping around and eventually got a rate lower than I had been paying before the proposed increase...for my car and my wife's car. This great new lower rate was from Progressive.
smkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
My rates jumped a bunch suddenly so I called the insurance company. They told me that it was because I turned 75 years old!
Sure glad Medicare does not work that way .... I guess U R not joking, as they always DO ask for birth dates !
Old 10-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #29
GnS

My MH insurance has gone up for the past two years in a row. They tell me it’s because of all the hail damage claims they paid out in my area. Never mind the fact that my MH is kept in totally enclosed storage and won’t be susceptible to such hazards for the most part. If they pay out a lot, they jack everyone’s rates to keep those shiny new tires on the CEO’s private jet.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #30

Insurance Increase

Our policy went from $850 to $1850 this year... We're in Canada, apparently CAA bought out echelon and decided to put up their rates... I'm shopping now for better rates - 37' Class A motorhome. Just go a quote for under $600, but only 1M Liabiltiy. I just asked for rate on 2M and we'll see what it is... Others are asking between $1200 and $1600... Crazy...
jamesdbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #31

what is adjacent structures coverage for a camper? i would think that for anything my coverage does not handle would be picked up with my personal liability umbrella policy.
privateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
i would think that for anything my coverage does not handle would be picked up with my personal liability umbrella policy.
Your umbrella conver your LIABILITY to others if you cause them to suffer a loss. It does not cover your belongings at all.
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #33

Insurance do it because they can. We need it and they have it. Kind of like the oil companies you know. They're probably one of the corporations I dislike the most. Doesn't matter what kind of insurance it is, household, vehicle, RV, health, etc. We had an attic fire in Jan of 18, didn't lose a thing in the house, just damage to the attic, wiring, sheeting in the roof, etc. They jumped our rates 42% the next time.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyMax View Post
Your umbrella conver your LIABILITY to others if you cause them to suffer a loss. It does not cover your belongings at all.
ok, not too worried about my stuff as my houses have their own insurance coverage... i am only worried about my camper cooking and taking other campers with it.
privateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavaiani View Post
No claims filed with my Farmers/Foremost insurer, yet rate when from 317 to 459 annually. I am finding it difficult to get a logical answer. Any help available ?
Just like many others will say, time to shop. My best friend is in the insurance industry and tells me should shop every 3 to 5 years. We are all guilty of developing a comfort level with your agent, not that they are trying to rip you off they do loose track of individuals and do not do there job of keeping the rates reasonable.

I would first call your agent and see if he can do a correction, if that doesn't work start shopping, I will say you are shopping the same if not better coverages that you currently have, I also say do a wholesale switch, what I mean by that is bundle everything you have covered, you will get a better rate overall.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavaiani View Post
No claims filed with my Farmers/Foremost insurer, yet rate when from 317 to 459 annually. I am finding it difficult to get a logical answer. Any help available ?
When I had farmers and the cost went up, the farmers rep told me to leave, find another provider for a year or so, then come back to us.

It’s all a game... the longer you’re with an insurance company the more the suck out of you like vampires.

Don’t buy into reputation and long time customer, and trust, those days are gone. Get a company you pay the premium and save $$. Insurance companies are a joke for how much they charge for users that have zero incidents /claims.
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Just curious why that is so important to you. Homeowner's insurance typically covers any loss to all structures on the property.
NJkris, I would double check your policy on that, I have a young lady I work with who just bought there first TT, it was in her driveway with the awning open when a freak storm ripped her awning off and damaged the TT during the process. Point is her insurance company denied the claim because it was on there property, they said if it happened when they were camping it would have been covered.

It din't make sense to me but she is stuck with a high dollar repair bill. And no they did not have a separate policy for the trailer.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #38

Insurance

I have tracking 11 of the major insurers for about 5 years. The rate differences and increases are unbelievable. First they went to 6 month policies - now they can raise rates twice a year. I have Two cars, one minimum coverage, one full coverage. Quotes range from $1200 to $2300. I have 10 quotes from the same company, with independent agents, which range from $1300 to $2200 for the same coverage.

I finally started looking at rate increases. Without fail most all will raise you rate 29%-30% at the first renewal period. Finally found one (Texas Farm Bureau) for $804 per year. Rate increases range from 0% to 4%.

I continue to shop every six months. Home insurance is not quite as bad but similar. Extremely wide range of prices.

Central Texas.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #39

I found an independent insurance agent that reshops all my insurance every renewal. I know he does as I have gone behind him and checked myself. He told me that most companies have a "new customer" rate to lure you in and then it goes up substantially at the first renewal.
VaHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #40

RV Insurance

You might try Costco, I found that they were the lowest around.
plr501 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance