Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #1

Insurance increased by 50% !

No claims filed with my Farmers/Foremost insurer, yet rate when from 317 to 459 annually. I am finding it difficult to get a logical answer. Any help available ?
Old 09-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Time to shop for another insurer.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
D W

Any time insurance premiums increase it is due to a risk assessment performed by the insurance company, brokers, agents, etc. Past claim history in geographical area as well as projection of insurance events, plays a big role in the underwriting, not necessarily individual claim history.

When it comes to insurance you have use the free market for the best deal.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Time to shop for another insurer.
Beginning to eliminate companies that do NOT offer Total Loss Settlement nor Adjacent Structures, namely Progressive and Good Sam/National General !
Old 09-30-2019, 09:14 PM   #5

Or the insurance companies have figured out that travel trailers are time bombs waiting for a policy number!
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #6

Would recommend a call to Geico. I saved dollars when I switched to them 3 years ago. First year renewal rate went down $15 and 2nd year renewal went down $1. This was on two cars and motorhome. Yes saving wasn't much but it actually went DOWN. Hadn't seen that from and insurance company and many a year.

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #7
Retired Old Fart

Our vehicle insurance went up and I shopped around. The best rates were all within a few dollars of each other. My agent is a relative (I did not tell him I was shopping rates) and he said it is set by the area (zip code) more than anything, and the risk pool for that area not just you specifically.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:02 AM   #8

I had Geico, then Farmers insurance. Now I have Erie insurance, because my monthly premium dropped about $60-$80, and I have better coverage now compared to the minimum full coverage I used to have with the other 2 I mentioned at the beginning. And Erie insurance agent is right down the street from my house.

Alucke
Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #9

After researching, looks like I may be "locked" into Foremost. In order to get the "Total Loss Settlement Provision", you need to get started with that in the FIRST year of ownership of the new TT, so switching now prevents that clause. Also, many do NOT offer the "Adjacent Structures" provision ! And possibly, many may not even offer the "AMOUNT STATED" provision.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavaiani View Post
No claims filed with my Farmers/Foremost insurer, yet rate when from 317 to 459 annually. I am finding it difficult to get a logical answer. Any help available ?
I'm not loyal to any Insurance Company after being with State Farm for years and years and the rates for home, auto and trailer always seeming to be on the rise I decided to shop around using an Insurance Broker to find me the best rates. Now I am with Progressive on the TT it was the best option for me and a different Company for home and auto...Every year now for the past three years I check for better rates not going to fall in the trap of being complacent anymore.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Also, many do NOT offer the "Adjacent Structures" provision !
Just curious why that is so important to you. Homeowner's insurance typically covers any loss to all structures on the property.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I'm not loyal to any Insurance Company after being with State Farm for years and years and the rates for home, auto and trailer always seeming to be on the rise I decided to shop around using an Insurance Broker to find me the best rates. Now I am with Progressive on the TT it was the best option for me and a different Company for home and auto...Every year now for the past three years I check for better rates not going to fall in the trap of being complacent anymore.
I am paying for my 2019-2020 renewal this week, I shopped around and Progressive was the better choice for the TT because it also includes roadside assistance.

I have a bunch of cars and Erie has no problems covering them. Fortunately my oldest has now been driving for 4 years, the rates will drop. Unfortunately my youngest starts driving next year, the rates will go up again.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Just curious why that is so important to you. Homeowner's insurance typically covers any loss to all structures on the property.
Currently, TT is kept at the campground.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #14

Why be loyal to any Insurance Company when there’s absolutely no loyalty in return, it doesn’t matter if you have been with them for years and years with no claims, it’s not about their customer’s it’s about the almighty dollar and the stockholders, I would love to be in a meeting were an executive suggest a loyalty program for long time customers with no claims just to see how fast that executive gets fired.
Luckydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #15
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydogs View Post
Why be loyal to any Insurance Company when there’s absolutely no loyalty in return, it doesn’t matter if you have been with them for years and years with no claims, it’s not about their customer’s it’s about the almighty dollar and the stockholders, I would love to be in a meeting were an executive suggest a loyalty program for long time customers with no claims just to see how fast that executive gets fired.
USAA has had a loyalty program for years. It's called a Subscriber Savings Account. It pays the insured dividends based on their policy and claims every year, so it's not beyond the realm of impossibilities.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #16

I had Geico for 5 years, instead of my rates going down, they kept going up, and I am the only drive in my family with one not at fault accident, and not tickets. Then when to Farmers, had them till June of 2018, my rates kept going up. Was paying $190, for basic full coverage for truck and travel trailer. Switched to Erie insurance, now I have renter insurance and better full coverage auto/travel trailer insurance for about $100/month. I don't own a home, my travel trailer is paid for. Still paying for my truck loan. But saving approximately $90/month pretty damn good.

Alucke
Old 10-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #17

While I'd never consider leaving USAA, my son fell for the "GEICO Lowball", giving him somewhat lower premiums for 6 months, then wanting a 50% increase to renew, stating that "all rates have gone up". Yeah, sure. Obviously, he didn't renew with them.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #18

I think the auto insurance industry as a whole, rips people off.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #19

Insurance

We had Allstate for years at least 30 or 35. Then when I need a roof replacement no you don't. Replaced it my self and moved on. Cars went to USAA and 5th wheel to USAA. Totaled 5th wheel USAA paid no problem. Wind damage to 200 year old oat tree and some deduction I did not see caused me to pay for the oak removal my fault for not reading the contract. Our 3010DS is with progressive a subset of USAA. The problem with USAA is everything is by internet and phone. Modern age I guess.
SQROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #20
Newbie- 21 FBRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.C View Post
While I'd never consider leaving USAA, my son fell for the "GEICO Lowball", giving him somewhat lower premiums for 6 months, then wanting a 50% increase to renew, stating that "all rates have gone up". Yeah, sure. Obviously, he didn't renew with them.
I had USAA for 25 years, then they dropped me when I downsized houses ( although they insured my next door neighbor six months earlier). They were minimizing Florida exposure. Since they showed me no loyalty, I shopped my auto insurance and found comparable coverage on all my vehicles for about half the cost I was paying at USAA. I have Safeco now.
Coevers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance