Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2021, 08:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
They also had an insufficient number of head bolts. Major design flaw.
Yeah.. but easily addressed by going to head studs.

For the most part though, those that were blowing them were also running a hot tune or not performing the required maintenance.

I'd put my 6.0 up against just about anything else out there. .
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #42

My daughter did not want to get rid of her early 2000s Lincoln. Looked great and road like a dream. Started over heating and everything was changed ~~ I thought, except the radiator. Took it to a small tire shop and mentioned a probable radiator replacement and the employee said WHAO. Young guy, 30s or so came over and said that engine is a beauty. Not a Ford engine. Got down on the passenger side and said the water pump was bad! The motor had TWO pumps. The only one a parts search could find was in CA, across the country and $400. Put your foot in it a little and it ran like a raped ape.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:52 PM   #43

Face the fact: simply because VW bought the company that bought the company that controls a company that builds a particular brand of engine does not mean that engine is a VW engine.
DuluthCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:27 PM   #44

My 66 Studebaker had a 283 Chevy engine.
Foodguy923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #45

My 1996 Isuzu Rodeo was a waaay better vehicle than my brother's 1996 Honda Passport......

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #46

Back in the 80's early 90's Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth used VW engines in their 4 cylinder cars and minivans. Mitsubishi in the V6 cars and mini vans. The only engines they made then were the V8's for the full size cars and trucks. I had a Horizon TC3 that had a VW engine and transmission. I pulled the trans in my driveway in an hour to replace the clutch, and thats when I discovered it is identical to the VW Rabbit. During the 90's when turning a wrench I worked on countless D/C/P vehicles and got to know VW and Mitsubishi well.

Ford at one time owned Volvo, which was regarded as the safest cars on the road, and now Ford has the safest cars on the road. Companies like Ford and the others buy up other car companies, and then gain information that can be put to use in their main brands. Ford had a stake in Mazda at one time too. What was really interesting is back in the 2000's when the Prius hit the road, Ford had come up with the exact same hybrid drive system, and had to work with Toyota on the licensing before they could mass produce the drivetrains. Toyota beat Ford to market by a few years.

I had a 99, which was an early model built in May 98, F350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke, and went to the International dealer to get parts for it. Really good running engine too, transmission OTOH was a pile of poo.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #47

AMC does not stand for American Motors…

It’s All Makes Combined
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #48

That reminds me of my friend back in the 80's. An orange AMC Hornet was the car he drove. Had a GM straight 6 in it, Ford starting system, and I don't remember what else. I think Checker, who made cabs, did the same thing.

Ah, I miss those days, I miss him, he passed about 10 years ago from Diabetes. He went under the knife for an issue with his foot stemming from it, and the possibility of loosing his leg put him under such stress that he had a heart attack on the table, nearly died, they brought him back, but he had some brain damage. He was out with his mom and sister having lunch, when he had a moment of complete clarity, and then dropped dead at the table. Complete shock to me. He was a good guy, miss him dearly.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Ever look under the hood of an 80's Jeep Cherokee? 4 cyl engine from GM, brake booster and master cyl from Chrysler, Ford AC components.... used to hate to see them come into the shop. The only positive was that once we figured out what we were looking at, they were super easy to find parts for!

Bosch fuel injection, and some other european coolant bottle.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #50

You're showing your age TitanMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
(Psst. This was offered as humor as well as pointing out how companies are eaten up by big foreign companies)

I'll bet earlier Ford owners rarely, if ever, bragged about their "Corn Binder engines".
Wow TitanMike, I haven't heard that term for a long time. Now you're showing your age.
I remember we always called International Trucks and Scouts "Corn Binders."

Thanks for the memories.

Greg
gthomp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Yeah.. but easily addressed by going to head studs.

For the most part though, those that were blowing them were also running a hot tune or not performing the required maintenance.

I'd put my 6.0 up against just about anything else out there. .
I have a 5.9 cummins I'll take you on with 100% stock
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroaderone View Post
I have a 5.9 cummins I'll take you on with 100% stock
Some people just canít admit that the blue oval let them down by using poorly designed engines. Four bolts per cylinder on a Diesel is just cheap. I have owned my own truck repair business over 50 years and I quit working on Ford Diesels a long time ago. There are numerous other design flaws.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:49 PM   #53

My "Ford" built Powerstroke puts out so much torque I would be afraid to put it up against others as it might break the rear end. At half pedal it chirps the tires in second and third gear, while pulling the trailer. Empty and the traction control needs to kick in. That 6.7 is a beast.

I did blow out the 4.11 rear end on my old 99 Dually with 7.3. Hopping 4 tires is not good for spider gears, and all I did was put the pedal to the metal from a dead stop. That was an expensive mistake, one I would rather not repeat. Somewhere I have a picture of the hole in the cover from where a piece of spider gear exited the differential.

Tags
ford