Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

Internet Connectivity and Availability

Hey Guys and Girls

Off to the FL Keys for 20 days in 2 weeks time. We`re starting at Pennenkamp and moving South every 4/5 days ending up in Key West. I have been reading many posts on here that suggests that State Parks in general dont have internet or if they do, its limited to the business center or something to that effect. So to eliminate the range issue i can purchase a nano Station 2 and resolve it. Even though i now have signal i might still have terrible bandwidth, because after all, it is a State Park.

In addition to extending the wifi range on offer, im looking into getting something like the Jetpack from Verizon, my only concern is data. Are there packages out there offering unlimited data? Secondly, what has your experience been like camping in the keys from a signal perspective? Do i also need to look at a 4G booster?

Thought and comments appreciated.

Cheers for now
GeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #2

Wow, there are so many variables to consider, I don't know quite where to begin to answer your question.

First of all, you need to determine your real "NEED" versus "WANT" for a system. If you really need a system because you operate a business, etc., then you need to evaluate systems based on that need. However, if you just want a system to do internet browsing, email, etc., then that's a whole different story. Basically, the more bandwidth you NEED, the more you are going to pay for it. Regardless of the type of internet connection, you won't do much streaming video. Maybe a couple of YouTubes, but not many Netflix movies.

All the major (and most minor) cell providers also have a data plan. Wireless data plan from the cell providers is a lot less expensive that other options. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc. all have data options, whether using your smart phone or through a MiFi type device. You need to examine where you are likely to camp, and start with carriers that cover that area. For example, in the West, Verizon and AT&T have the best coverage with Verizon leading the pack. On the East Coast, I hear that T-Mobile has good coverage in many areas. Beware of any carrier that advertises "UNLIMITED" data, because no one really has that - for most "unlimited" plans you see your internet slow to a crawl as you go past a certain amount of data, and end up no better than dial up speed.

If you really NEED internet, then satellite is the only way to go. Regardless of where you are, if you can see the southern sky, you can setup your satellite internet. The hardware is costly and the service levels cost many $$$. Before wireless data became available, I had the satellite internet service to access my business. Very costly.

If connection speed is not an issue, then there are a few providers that have an "unlimited" plan on 3G service. But, I assume you would want 4GLTE service that will give you the best speed possible.

Other questions to answer would include how many devices do you want to have internet access, do you want a printer shared between connections, will you have 120v electrical available continuously, etc.

After you determine the best method for your wants and needs, then we can start suggesting hardware and software to provide you with the best internet service.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:14 AM   #3
Always Learning

I answer those exact questions here:

http://www.learntorv.com/2016/04/mob...t-on-road.html

And here:
http://www.learntorv.com/2016/04/cel...rks-oh-my.html

Cliff notes:
- yes, unlimited plans exist. you can either lease or buy one.
- yes, boosters can help BUT it's hard to tell if you need one until you're there. If you have Amazon prime, that's fairly easily solved in a few days. But that might be too long depending on your needs.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:05 AM   #4
Insert witty title here

I mentioned this in another thread but if you have an android phone, you can buy an app in the app store called FoxFi. It will unlock the use of your phone's wifi hotspot without having to pay a monthly fee to your carrier. Any data used through FoxFi will be billed against your monthly data allowance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
So to eliminate the range issue i can purchase a nano Station 2 and resolve it
this signal is line of sight and trees and leaves do NOT let signal past...

if you can see the signal source then this will work, BUT... probably cannot see the source for the trees

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I mentioned this in another thread but if you have an android phone, you can buy an app in the app store called FoxFi. It will unlock the use of your phone's wifi hotspot without having to pay a monthly fee to your carrier. Any data used through FoxFi will be billed against your monthly data allowance.
Just use your phone as a hot spot.

No fuss, no muss.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #7

Using Cell Phone as Hot Spot

It is really easy to use your cell phone (iPhone anyway) as a hot spot but note that you can burn through your data plan on your cell phone VERY quickly. If you have an unlimited data plan on your cell phone it's not so much of a problem. If you have a limited data plan, such as 5 gigs/month, be careful and watch your data usage so you don't get socked with a huge bill from your carrier.
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #8
Site Team

The major carriers have caught on to this and will not download it. You can find a direct download and install, but the newer versions of Android will not run it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:41 AM   #9
Insert witty title here

Internet Connectivity and Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The major carriers have caught on to this and will not download it. You can find a direct download and install, but the newer versions of Android will not run it.

I have the latest Android version and it runs just fine and it is available in the Google app store.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #10

Regarding foxfi, look at your agreement with your carrier. This might be against your agreement.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #11

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the feedback - just to clarify a few things, might allow for a better assessment of my requirements.

I will require internet access most of the time, purely for email and remote session work, VPN connectivity, RDP Sessions etc. Voice and video conferencing etc will not be done during this time. Streaming of movies, on Roku for example and Xbox connectivity would only be done in the evenings when business hours are no longer applicable. Streaming of movies etc is a nice to have and would only get done if i were to get an unlimited data plan else, if capped would not be an option.

Im guessing a leased unlimited data plan might be the way to go - i have a spare iPhone 5 which is not on any plan or locked to any network right now that i could use purely as a hotspot or would ya`ll suggest the purchase of Jetpack/MiFi device? If getting a Jetpack it eliminates the need for the FoxFi app although i also have an Android tablet i could possible use for this - not sure if the tablet supports 4G, will need to look into that, pretty old. Not looking at having more than 2 devices connected during business hours, perhaps more after hours.

Thanks in advance.

Where would i look for the unlimited lease data plans? I`m probably only going to require it for the month of July.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
Hey Guys

Thanks for all the feedback - just to clarify a few things, might allow for a better assessment of my requirements.

I will require internet access most of the time, purely for email and remote session work, VPN connectivity, RDP Sessions etc. Voice and video conferencing etc will not be done during this time. Streaming of movies, on Roku for example and Xbox connectivity would only be done in the evenings when business hours are no longer applicable. Streaming of movies etc is a nice to have and would only get done if i were to get an unlimited data plan else, if capped would not be an option.

Im guessing a leased unlimited data plan might be the way to go - i have a spare iPhone 5 which is not on any plan or locked to any network right now that i could use purely as a hotspot or would ya`ll suggest the purchase of Jetpack/MiFi device? If getting a Jetpack it eliminates the need for the FoxFi app although i also have an Android tablet i could possible use for this - not sure if the tablet supports 4G, will need to look into that, pretty old. Not looking at having more than 2 devices connected during business hours, perhaps more after hours.

Thanks in advance.

Where would i look for the unlimited lease data plans? I`m probably only going to require it for the month of July.
Your usage requirements mirror mine quite a bit. I'm a software developer; am constantly connected to a VPN and commonly remote into servers and view other people's desktops.

First, phone hotspot vs. Jetpack/MiFi- for working reasons, you can't beat a separate hotspot. The phone works for occasional hotspotting, but for long-use, it doesn't work so well. The network can get finicky and the phone gets downright hot. Been there, done that.

For an unlimited data lease, contact my friend Keith @ Wanderlust RV Services.

Personally, I would connect your Nanostation to your Jetpack's wifi. The reason for this is that the nano likely creates a stronger wifi network than your Jetpack will. You can SEE the Jetpack up to 40-50 feet, but after about 10-15', the speeds drop off significantly. Plus, then you can change things all at one shot depending on what wifi source you want to use.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #13

Love the Keys!! We spend Christmas and New Years at Jolly Roger RV on Grassy Key just North of Marathon Key. Love the park and the owners.
We use the Verizon JetPack on the 10 GB plan as we don't do any streaming and rarely use all 10 GBs. The DW runs her business from the TT so there is a lot of emails back and forth. NetFlix and such eat up a lot, so we just don't use it. Been there, done that.
We found in our personal experience that the iPhone hot spots wouldn't carry the signals very well and kept on breaking up. The JetPack works for us. Good signals in the Keys.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #14

Blackhat - thanks - good to hear from someone with first hand experience in the Keys in terms of signal!! Thats good news hearing the signal is good, that was one thing i was wondering about.

Epndydad - i have contacted your friend and await his response regarding the lease period in question. I have also seen on eBay that they`re selling for a little cheaper, by about about $30 and seems to be reputable sellers but, would rather purchase from someone (your friend) who seems to have been offering this to the RV`ing community for a while. The Nanostation idea is great, i`ll definitely do that thanks and yeah - ill do away with using a phone as a hotspot too - purchase the mifi device and have if i need to use it again going forward.

Wondering if Verizon have a month to month data contract - if i could get 10GB, that might solve my problem and might be less expensive or might not. Going to contact them and see if they have something for me.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #15

Which Nanostation is everyone using? M2 or M5?
Old 06-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #16
Always Learning

The cheapest plans that I've heard of are $120 and that's from a company called Peerless Something. Friends of ours use their service and have for 6+ months without issue. You're not in it for the long haul, but they also offer yearly rates at a lesser cost.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #17

Ependy and the rest who have chimed in - thanks so much for all the advice. I know what needs to be done and will do it! Thanks again

One last thing - you mentioned connecting your Nanostation to your MiFi device - i have gone through all the mifi devices available and see none of them with any ports for network cables to plug into. Assume you are connecting your Nano to the MiFi directly using the RJ45 cable? Do i have to purchase the $80 Jetpack or will the $20 device suffice? I know the newer devices support 15 devices and the older ones only 8 - whats the difference besides that and the touch screen etc?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
Ependy and the rest who have chimed in - thanks so much for all the advice. I know what needs to be done and will do it! Thanks again

One last thing - you mentioned connecting your Nanostation to your MiFi device - i have gone through all the mifi devices available and see none of them with any ports for network cables to plug into. Assume you are connecting your Nano to the MiFi directly using the RJ45 cable? Do i have to purchase the $80 Jetpack or will the $20 device suffice? I know the newer devices support 15 devices and the older ones only 8 - whats the difference besides that and the touch screen etc?

I don't have a Nano, I have a WifiRanger but I thought the premise was the same- it connects to wifi and rebroadcasts it under its own network. I do it with my WifiRanger because the Jetpack wifi is very weak (even though you can see it, speeds really drop off quickly).

I don't know about the difference between the devices. I'd check to make sure it supports the Verizon network on 4G and all that jazz.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #19

My wife and I run a software business and we need access to the internet when traveling. I've used EasyTether for years on my Android phone with Sprint/Boost Mobile for years. I pay only $30 a month for "unlimited" data and have never been throttled. I haven't gone above 5gb since we are only hitting it hard for 3 days on our trip. We use it to go from the northeast to Florida and we never lose our connection all the way down Rt 95. Connection speed has been decent.

I just leased an verizon unlimited data plan on ebay for $120. Search eBay for Verizon Unlimited Data Plan $120.

I decided to go for the Verizon leased plan (bought a Verizon Jet Pack device used for $28) because we are going to go out west and I heard they have the best coverage.

Hope this helps. We are also installing a WeBoost 4Gx https://store.weboost.com/products/drive-4gx wireless booster.
MBSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #20

Personally I have found both Verizon and ATT to be much better than Sprint for reception in many area.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote