Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2023, 04:05 PM   #1

internet provider

ok, I have travel data and now they have a new whole plans and prices up quiet a bit.

Anyone have other suggestions for part timers on the road that just want to stream tv?

149.00 per month is pretty steep. maybe starlink is looking better?
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:13 PM   #2
llr

Currently I am using a Visible phone as a hot spot $25 per month unlimited, I also work from the camper sometimes so I am thinking of adding star link. Not sure what you have for $149/month but that sounds real high to me, I could get star link and visible for just slightly more
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:41 PM   #3

129 for 500 Gigs or 149 for 1000.
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:52 PM   #4
Always Learning

I use T-Mobiles Home Internet in the RV. I've heard of differing reports on if it's within the terms of service to be moving around with it or not, but it works well and is affordable. $50/month for unlimited service. It's good where you have cellular service but with T-Mobile, you sort of have to be near populated areas.

I also carry Starlink on a residential plan w/ portability. It's $135 for unlimited data. You need a clear view of the sky, so forested areas are out. It mostly works good but there have been times that it's slowed down to the point of being barely usable. And, for the night-owls, it seems to glitch between 1am-3am with restarts and whatnot. It also requires setting up at every location and I'm super lazy if my stay is less than a week.

Lastly, I carry both AT&T and Verizon on unlimited plans. But these are old grandfathered plans that I acquired back in 2016 and hold onto like they're gold. But again, they only work when there is cellular service.

In the RV, I use a router and just plug whatever internet source I want to use at that particular location into it.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronthet View Post
129 for 500 Gigs or 149 for 1000.
I'm confused. Who is your internet provider?
Old 01-19-2023, 06:54 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I'm confused. Who is your internet provider?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronthet View Post
ok, I have travel data and now they have a new whole plans and prices up quiet a bit.
Travel Data is the company.

https://traveldata.page/
Old 01-19-2023, 08:35 PM   #7

Thanks. Capitalization matters. I'd never heard of the company.
Sorry. I have no suggestions as to a provider that costs less.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:28 PM   #8

We have T-Mobile cell phone service and when we needed to use the internet to pay bills on our laptop last year during a cross-country trip we just plugged our phone into the computer with a USB C to USB A. No streaming or TV watching though, that's why we camp.

However, I do have a spare router at home and I might try the router trick mentioned this camp season.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:37 PM   #9

I use visible. It is 30 / month for unlimited data running on the Verizon network. Couple that with a mini router and you can connect multiple items to a phone as a hotspot.

I have had it for 2 years and only one I can remember my fire stick lagging a little. B
bduemig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:13 AM   #10

We use our Verizon Phones as a hotspot for internet while traveling. We don't do much streaming though.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:58 AM   #11

T-Mobile Magenta Max 55+, 90 dollars for 2 lines, no limits on anything except for 40 gig hotspot unthrottled. After 40 gigs no guarantee about throttling. In Northwest Central FL we have had had zero issues and the streaming has been perfect. Use it in conjunction with a Roku device. Life is good!

Before T-Mobile, we had At&T and it sucked. The frustration level was threw the roof. Now with T-Mobile the internet quality is just like home with high speed Spectrum.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduemig View Post
I use visible. It is 30 / month for unlimited data running on the Verizon network. Couple that with a mini router and you can connect multiple items to a phone as a hotspot.

I have had it for 2 years and only one I can remember my fire stick lagging a little. B
Visible is abandoning the system they started out with and forcing conversion to one based on Verizon's network. (Yes, they're owned by Verizon and always used Verizon towers but started out with a novel software-based system.)

In the process they're restricting converted accounts to allowing only one connection and enforcing a hard limit of 5 Mbps. They claimed the same in the past but didn't seem to enforce it. I just upgraded two phones and did some testing. Speedtest on connected devices showed initial speeds between 30-70 Mbps but immediately and consistently dropped to 5 Mbps.

If you tweak the TTL on the router it may obscure the fact it's tethered, possibly bypassing the limit on devices or speed. That worked on the old Visible network. I hope it does because I use a Netgear LTE modem connected to a gl-inet travel router in my travel trailer. I haven't tested it on the Verizon network and don't know if it still works as well as before.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote