Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2022, 05:07 AM   #1
spooky

Internet Service

Am looking for best service for internet in my RV. Need to work from RV and want to be able to stream TV. Anyone using something that can help? Looking at TOGO, NOMAD so any suggestions? thnx for help phone plans don't cut it
rekaj321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:19 AM   #2

Wifi has been the number one complaint for many ppl that are into camping. Campgrounds don't really offer a good signal or bandwidth . Depending on where ya going or where your at a hotspot box might help. But then again Data restrictions, and other cell service crap they come up with. Sat internet might help but with a steep price. And Ends when the storm comes in.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:21 AM   #3

Here is something i found. a bit pricey .
https://store.lci1.com/onecontrol-ho...it-805592.html
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:55 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

I just use a wilson we boost with an external antenna and a Verizon jetpack.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #5

We have a Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800L and we're able to stream YouTubeTV with it. You will experience some buffering but it's pretty minimal.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekaj321 View Post
Am looking for best service for internet in my RV. Need to work from RV and want to be able to stream TV. Anyone using something that can help? Looking at TOGO, NOMAD so any suggestions? thnx for help phone plans don't cut it
first, lets break it down to service, then equipment.

1. based on where you plan to be squatting, you need to evaluate the coverage. Is it Verizon, Tmobile, AT&T, or Satellite service ? I realize you stated phone plans do not cut it, but in reality other then a satellite plan, you are getting the same data infrastructure service that is the phone plan ie. 4G or 5g service

once you determine the best service and cost you are willing to spend, think unlimited data if you want streaming as well. there benefits to using the provider you have cell service with i.e. shared data plan?

2. how do you turn the service into Wifi coverage.
a. Phone used as a hot spot - only works when the phone is there
b. dedicated service provider device (jet pack, other, they all offer them)
usually requires a second line on the account (need dedicated SIM card)
c. third party hot spot device (lots out there - cradlepoint, net gear, etc) still require second Sim card, but provide better buffering for streaming services.

Lastly, your question on packaged providers - TOGO is an AT&T package offering, so if AT&T has the coverage you need and you do not use or need cost benefit of having your phone and hot spot data service together it would be an option.

NOMAD is something to avoid if other options exist, they have a hybrid solution utilizing different service providers in different places, including trackside backhaul (which forces down speed - on through put) in the end they can not provide consistent through put speeds depending on location so the offer is spotty, but they cover large rural areas where this are no other options.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #7

We have a phone number attached to an I pad. Verizon service. 35$ per month. Wherever there is a Verizon signal we can stream, use the internet with speeds not throttled by WiFi.
We have spent many of rainy days watching Hulu, Netflix ect.
Been using this method four years. We have a connector allowing the I Pad to steam through the TV.
okie dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #8

I am an IT guy, and have installed allot of WIFI and Satellite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekaj321 View Post
So the 5G hotspot of T-mobile has been really good if you got cell service.

The problem is cost, but its FAST FAST FAST. I get on average about 100mb in speed up and down most places that have good Cell service, but thats where it ends.

Too many RV spots I want to goto , are in the mountains and such and have nothing. We were in such dead spots, like Junction Texas we got 2G and thats standing next to the freeway, and 1 radio station and Zero TV stations.

So I ordered StarLink, thats Elon Musks Space X new system, and RVers online are getting on average 300mb in speed and thats line of site anywhere in North American and eventually worldwide.

If you need it now, get 5G hotspot from a cell service like Tmobile, if you can wait put down the $99 down on Satellite Starlink, and wait, from what I am seeing about 6 months, and they will ship it too you if you are in the current service area, based on ZIP.

Both are unlimited. Current satellite is expensive for RVers because there are data caps. That will all change when Star Link starts taking all the old satellite providers business.

Pricing : $150 base price for 5G hotspots, monthly for unlimited is around $50, there is a wait and limited service areas for the unlimited but I have found in Houston and everywhere I have driven so far, its been great!

Pricing for Satellite. All systems base price $500 usually. Monthly is $50 - 200, never unlimited, except for Starlink

Starlink : $99 down, $400 due at delivery, $99 a month, unlimited, GIG - LIKE speeds. <------this will be the system to have in the next 2 years for sure.

My Starlink is ordered, and I am on 5G and 4G right now and you must go out of your way to find RV spots that have good cell service, usually close to the freeway.

Another thing I have noticed on the 4G/5G rural cell towers, is they get bogged at night. Everyone is leaching data off them now at home at night everywhere watching Netflix. I can get 20mb during the day on 4g and it drops to 1mb at night.

One thing to note about satellite is I think the new Star Link is motorized so that keeps you from having to aim it and use a compass. Unless you drop $2k on a motorized dome dish, you cannot use it on the road or in motion, and you must stop and aim it everywhere you go. Thats gotten easy now with cell phone apps that do it for you but if you are working going down the road, the 5G hotspot, is better for that, unless you get the $2k antenna. The prices may have come down, but those antennas are pricey.

TMOBILE 5G hotspot. Old model is better.

www.t-mobile.com/isp

Star Link satellite system

https://www.starlink.com
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:01 PM   #9
llr

I am using Visible with a $70 smart phone as a hot spot, $25/month unlimited but it is throttled, I have not had issues streaming when signal and bandwidth are good.

The do limit the hotspot to one connection so I have a portable router that the phone connects to and everything else connects to the router.

This is Verizon service and when signal and bandwidth are good I get a little over the throttle amount, I don't recall exactly but it is around 4-5 Mbps. When signal or bandwidth are poor it matches my work Verizon cell phone.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:09 PM   #10

We have the t-mobile hotspot through FMCA tech connect. $49.99 a month and unlimited with no throttling unless the tower you are hitting gets busy.

Was an older sprint plan and the old hotspot worked well but the new MiFi box is setup for 5g.

Speed test just now was 433 mbps. Works great for both of us working remote.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
We have the t-mobile hotspot through FMCA tech connect. $49.99 a month and unlimited with no throttling unless the tower you are hitting gets busy.

Was an older sprint plan and the old hotspot worked well but the new MiFi box is setup for 5g.

Speed test just now was 433 mbps. Works great for both of us working remote.

When did you get the new hotspot and what model is it? I was just notified that my FMCA hotspot will be replaced as they transition from Sprint to T-Mobil. The Sprint Inseego was fantastic, I've heard through the grapevine that the replacement hotspot is not 5G capable.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #12
Retired Army MSG!

Bit Pricey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanabe View Post
Here is something i found. a bit pricey .
https://store.lci1.com/onecontrol-ho...it-805592.html
We have an Artic Wolf that came prepped for the unit linked above. It would be an easy install but I have not purchased because it only works with AT & T and I do not want another cell subscription. I use T Mobile for my home internet and cell service because they are the only carrier that works where I live. I normally use my cell as hot spot which is 5G and I can work from my RV or stream videos and music.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakist View Post
When did you get the new hotspot and what model is it? I was just notified that my FMCA hotspot will be replaced as they transition from Sprint to T-Mobil. The Sprint Inseego was fantastic, I've heard through the grapevine that the replacement hotspot is not 5G capable.

We updated maybe 6 months ago. The old sprint box died on us so I called and FMCA replaced with the new inseego MiFi one. It is 5g capable and, at times, is better than our 600 meg hardwired connection at home.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
We updated maybe 6 months ago. The old sprint box died on us so I called and FMCA replaced with the new inseego MiFi one. It is 5g capable and, at times, is better than our 600 meg hardwired connection at home.

Yes, the inseego is great. That's what concerns me now. It came with a Sprint SIM which is not going to be supported anymore. The FMCA email wasn't clear as to whether they are sending a new T-Mobil SIM or a different hotspot. I hope it will be a new SIM, I'll know in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakist View Post
Yes, the inseego is great. That's what concerns me now. It came with a Sprint SIM which is not going to be supported anymore. The FMCA email wasn't clear as to whether they are sending a new T-Mobil SIM or a different hotspot. I hope it will be a new SIM, I'll know in a couple of weeks.

Should be t-mobile now and 5g. That is what we were upgraded to.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:54 AM   #16

I just completed an install of my Pepwave system from mobile must have.com

Using a new SIM/line from visible, yesterday I was getting 55 up and 15 down. The key is to set TTL to 64 for the visible network and the throttling is not bad at all.

Pepwave bundle is not cheap right at $800 but at least it solves my issue and the visible plan is only 25 bucks a month. The other benefit of the pepwave is you can put in a second SIM card in another slot if you want to use AT&t, Sprint or Verizon as a backup or vice versa

Good luck!
Toy4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
I just completed an install of my Pepwave system from mobile must have.com

Using a new SIM/line from visible, yesterday I was getting 55 up and 15 down. The key is to set TTL to 64 for the visible network and the throttling is not bad at all.

Pepwave bundle is not cheap right at $800 but at least it solves my issue and the visible plan is only 25 bucks a month. The other benefit of the pepwave is you can put in a second SIM card in another slot if you want to use AT&t, Sprint or Verizon as a backup or vice versa

Good luck!
Past experience has proved that if Visible catches you using their sim in a data only device they will immediately terminate your service with a lifetime ban on coming back. No big deal if it's close to the end of the billing month but not good at the beginning. Using the latest Netgear Nighthawk with visible gives good speeds but usually slightly slower than AT&T or Verizon. Haven't tried T-mobile sim.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service