Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #1

Internet Verizon Unlimited Data

I thought I would let people know who have Verizon for your wireless phones, tablets and hot spots. As of today Verizon now is offering unlimited DATA. They have started it today. Verizon was probably the last carrier to do this. If you have a Verizon account you now can sign up for it. You can stream all you want with your hot spot at any CG, without using the CG WIFI. There has been alot of talk about using the CG WIFI to do this, now you can do it without using the CG at all. If your interested sign into your account and make the change. There is a catch. You get free data at 4 g LTE up to 10 gigs after 10 gigs they will only supply you with 3 g LTE. I think its still a good deal, so check it out if you haven't yet. HAPPY CAMPING....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #2

I saw this in the news but my DW and our kids have been on this plan for 4 or 5 months now. When I read the article, I thought you could get unlimited 4g data plans again... Oh well, thanks for the update.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:11 AM   #3
Always Learning

Be very careful with this plan. Witch Doctor covered some of the caveats already.

RV Mobile Internet put out a good overview of it today:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ver...-some-catches/
Old 02-14-2017, 03:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Be very careful with this plan. Witch Doctor covered some of the caveats already.

RV Mobile Internet put out a good overview of it today:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ver...-some-catches/
yes I read that, most CG I'm at my jet pack only gets 3 g anyway, very rarely do I get 4g. Verizon has sent me my estimated bill for the next cycle, my cost went down by about 10.00 per month. that is with 3 devices, jetpack, ipad and smartphone. the total is 112.00 per month. I have had direct payment to them with my credit card for the last 5 years, there was no mention of debt card or check in what they sent me. I was on a share plan with 6 gigs. So they never asked me to go paperless or change my payment plan. If things change I will just switch back out of it, I don't think I have ever been over 6 gigs to begin with. I would becareful if your using it for work and are a heavy data user. We will see what changes they make as time go's on. But they are still going to have to be competitive, to keep there shares, I was also surprised how they came out with this no fan fair at all. I will keep my estimated bill and it better be the same as they sent me, will know in a month. Thanks for your input Espendydad.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

Lots of catches hidden in all of these wireless contracts. For example, since we have DirecTV and ATT wireless, we should be eligible for unlimited data, right? Sort of. Seems if you sign up for the unlimited wireless, then you lose the Hot Spot capability on your devices (which we have right now). That means you can't use your iPad or iPhone's hot spot to get data on your laptop, etc. Also, beyond a certain point, almost all of them will throttle your connection speed down to the point it is not suitable for streaming. Just remember how much that "free goldfish" your kid got at the store wound up costing you when all was said and done. Same thing here.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #6

I have a basic Verizon plan with 1gig of data and unlimited talk/text, so I called Verizon a couple of days ago to inquire if I could take advantage of the higher amount of data offer. They first said I could for about $5 more amount per month. Then they looked further into their "files" and said I did not qualify because I purchased my iPhone already and their new higher gig plan had a monthly charge for the phone. I think i will call again and see what another agent can do for me. At one gig per month I have been nervous about using data .
clayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #7

Lots of interesting one-upmanship going on out there the past couple of days.

On Sunday, Verizon surprised a lot of folks by offering a new Unlimited Data Plan (UDP).

For some of us, this was not a big surprise; with T-Mobile, Sprint, & AT&T offering UDP for the past several months, it was inevitable.

The new Verizon UDP is a pretty good deal - in fact a fantastic deal - if all you use is your phone, and not mission-critical dependent on the Internet (i.e. You work full time from your RV via the Internet). If you use your phone as a hotspot, well things get interesting (data is capped at 10GB and then is slowed to 3G - OK for email, Forums & Web Browsing, not so good for most video streaming or multimedia use/uploading).

On the device itself, after 22GB of data usage you will be subject to "network management" on "congested" cell towers.

This is NOT Throttling. It simply means you may or may not experience a slower connection depending on how congested the cell tower is - if it is congested and you have exceeded your 22GB, you *may* experience some slowdown until the congestion decreases - or you may experience nothing at all - it all just "depends" - according to Verizon "we don't expect to do that very often."

HD video will not be throttled or subject to "network management" as long as it is viewed "on device" Now, nothing says you cannot get a HDMI adapter, plug it into your iPhone, run a cable to your HDTV and watch the latest Netflix/Sling/CW/YouTube/whatever video at the campground (assuming you have a good cell signal).

T-Moble fired back yesterday afternoon with a interesting UDP: Same as they have had since last year except NOW they offer the 10GB Tethering as well. They matched Verizon AND kept to their flat rate pricing (no additional taxes, fees or other charges like Verizon does)

Even better (assuming the T-mobile coverage map works for you) is they offer unlimited data in Canada and Mexico (Verizon limits you to 500MB/day.) This is pretty huge for folks RVers who travel in these areas.

In addition if you switch to T-Mobile they are offering you a $150 MasterCard Gift Card per line (up to $600) as an additional enticement.

T-Mobile works great in the area we are in *now* but when we retire in December and hit the road, I am not so sure about coverage -- although in 11-14 months a LOT can happen.

So there is the "state of the UDP service" as of 1346 2/14/2017 (Seriously who knows what Verizon AT&T or Sprint will counter with in the next few days?!)

My prediction: By July of this year all major services will have flat rate pricing - no hidden fees or taxes. If they say a plan costs $50/month that will be it. YAY! About frigging time!

As capacity is built up and 5G is deployed "Data Management" will go the way of the dodo, and as long as you have a decent signal you will have high-speed service (FYI "Data Management" is unheard of in Europe, where UDP has been available since we lived there in 2008-2012)

Stay tuned - it's only gonna get better
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #8

We went to a Verizon store to compare the cost to our current plan. It would cost about $100 more to go with the unlimited. Now we have unlimited text and 6.5 GB of data. We're keeping our current plan. We did, however, pick up their free tablet.
lsauer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsauer1 View Post
We went to a Verizon store to compare the cost to our current plan. It would cost about $100 more to go with the unlimited. Now we have unlimited text and 6.5 GB of data. We're keeping our current plan. We did, however, pick up their free tablet.
Hey Linda!

Do you have 1 or 2 phones?

Not sure how a UDP could cost you $100 "more" either way;
1 Line is $80/month,
2 lines are $140/month

- so that means if you have 2 lines, you are paying $40/month for your plan?!?

If you have only 1 line...um...well that would mean Verizon is paying you ($80-100 = -20 )

Also, I suspect the tablet was not "free" Verizon charges $20/month to add a tablet to your plan - did they tell you that?
Old 02-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #10

Two phones. Tablet charge is $10 a month.
lsauer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #11

I never believe any "unlimited " data offers. AT&T's catch is, after a certain number of gig your speeds are throttled down to unusable levels.

I have a 30GB plan and chose not to "upgrade" to the unlimited plan because I would get less data.

I would bet the other carriers have hidden catches as well.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I never believe any "unlimited " data offers. AT&T's catch is, after a certain number of gig your speeds are throttled down to unusable levels.

I have a 30GB plan and chose not to "upgrade" to the unlimited plan because I would get less data.

Verizon's "Hidden Catch" is that if you go over your 22Gig, other customers off of the same tower can get prioritized ahead of you. That's their "catch".

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Lots of catches hidden in all of these wireless contracts. For example, since we have DirecTV and ATT wireless, we should be eligible for unlimited data, right? Sort of. Seems if you sign up for the unlimited wireless, then you lose the Hot Spot capability on your devices (which we have right now). That means you can't use your iPad or iPhone's hot spot to get data on your laptop, etc. Also, beyond a certain point, almost all of them will throttle your connection speed down to the point it is not suitable for streaming. Just remember how much that "free goldfish" your kid got at the store wound up costing you when all was said and done. Same thing here.
I never realized this when I signed up with AT&T, which by the way has been the worst experience I've ever had with a cellular or TV carrier. But you're dead on, when I try to use my phone as a hot spot, it tells me I can't without changing plans, what a joke. Just another reason I will be getting away from the Devil aka DirecTV\AT&T as soon as I can.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #14

i already had DirecTV for years but was a Verizon customer. Considered moving to AT&T for their unlimited data plan, but using my phones as hot spots was excluded. For me that is a deal killer.Now that Verizon has moved to unlimited data (no plan is all you want and as fast as you want...forever) for phones and phone hotspots, I suspect that AT&T will have to adjust their offering as well. For me it was more data for the same amount of money at Verizon. I will probably get an HDMI to micro USB cable so that I can stream the HD from my phones to my TVs, rather than using networked Rokus, which I also have. HD is unlimited and never throttled.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #15

My son went with Verizon and he already had 30 gigs. I'll ask about the new plan next month , I have 16 gigs plus 4 free.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Verizons latest offering may be good news for heavy users and families, but "Big Red" is still way too pricey to send me joy. My single line that uses ~500MB a month was shown no sympathy with their recent change. Pfff.

I do realize that wireless prices/options will continue to keep getting better though. For now I'll just keep watching/waiting.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #17

I called, it would cost me about $63 for unlimited on a single line. (I get a 21% discount from Verizon.) I guess my problem is where I camp out here in the west, I very seldom get any data service and happy to get phone service.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsauer1 View Post
Two phones. Tablet charge is $10 a month.
OK, then I am confused. According to Verizon, 2 phones (I am talking SmartPhones here) are $140.00 / Month - this is from Verizon for the unlimited data plan.

I would really like to know what plan you are on where both your phones are costing just $40/month (you said the UDP was $100 more per month)
Old 02-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post

Throttling is illegal (per FCC) they can't do that anymore.

Reread my post about Network Management - that carriers can do.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
The new Verizon UDP is a pretty good deal - in fact a fantastic deal - if all you use is your phone, and not mission-critical dependent on the Internet (i.e. You work full time from your RV via the Internet). If you use your phone as a hotspot, well things get interesting (data is capped at 10GB and then is slowed to 3G - OK for email, Forums & Web Browsing, not so good for most video streaming or multimedia use/uploading).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Throttling is illegal (per FCC) they can't do that anymore.

Reread my post about Network Management - that carriers can do.
If they cap the 4g at 10gb and slow it to 3g, insn't that throttling?

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote