Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #181

65-70 mph. Depending.
Will push to 75 in a crunch, but rare. ( tire limits)
Bluej777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:42 AM   #182

While driving interstates I will drive 62 to 65 MPH depending on road conditions. When interstates get rough I may have to back down on that speed sometimes. I always try to drive safely within my abilities.
In my area I have noticed no matter what the speed limit is someone is always driving faster than they should. Drivers drive way over the speed limits posted in road construction areas even when workers are present. Double the fines if ticketed per signage posted on highway.
IMO I believe speeders know that the HP can't stop everybody so they drive what they want.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:22 AM   #183

Sweet spot/mph

My sweet spot is 58 @ 24mpg. Ford Escape pulling a Flagstaff A frame trailer. Suposed to be around 2500 lbs.
For me personally I like 70. Mpg goes down to 18 or 19.
grape_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Me too . . . . .
X3!
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #185

65 is what's comfortable on open road interstates. I really don't give mich thought to MPG.

When not towing, speed limit +5 on dry roads.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #186

62 in California, 65 everywhere else.
Speed costs money.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #187

60 - 65 Max
Right lane in light traffic, Lots of on & off ramps,
Run in the middle, trying not to get blown off the HWY !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Ok, looks like most folks drive their RVs around 65. On a 75mph interstate that's only 10 below most traffic, 20 below traffic having a TX or CA plate
My question - do folks going 55 really feel safer driving 20-25mph slower than the majority of the traffic?
If the traffic is light, not so bad, but in heavy traffic, going that much slower just seems to be a rolling roadblock.
Just curious.
It's been my experience that when traffic is heavy it slows everyone down anyway. In many cases 55 mph may be the max speed with many even going slower.

Also, contrary to popular opinion, not all truck drivers are speed demons and actually drive the legal speed (for trucks and vehicles towing). During the close to 4,000 miles I towed my trailer through WA, OR, CA, and AZ last month I had plenty of company in the RH lane driving 55-60 in the Interstates..

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape_ninja View Post
My sweet spot is 58 @ 24mpg. Ford Escape pulling a Flagstaff A frame trailer. Suposed to be around 2500 lbs.
For me personally I like 70. Mpg goes down to 18 or 19.

We have an e-pro 14fk (weighing around 2300 lbs) and we are towing it with a Ford Escape (with an EcoBoost 2 liter engine) and although we normally get 25+ MPG on freeways, we cannot achieve more than 18 MPG at 55-60 MPG. On freeways, we get a lot of air turbulence that we believe is a result of the high profile of our e-pro. It is apparently far less aerodynamic than your A-frame. Your TT folds down for towing, yes?
Old 02-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
It's been my experience that when traffic is heavy it slows everyone down anyway. In many cases 55 mph may be the max speed with many even going slower.

Also, contrary to popular opinion, not all truck drivers are speed demons and actually drive the legal speed (for trucks and vehicles towing). During the close to 4,000 miles I towed my trailer through WA, OR, CA, and AZ last month I had plenty of company in the RH lane driving 55-60 in the Interstates..
The only place the traffic should be that bad on most interstates is in a large city.
And I agree, most semis are not speed demons. They all used to drive slower during the 'trying to save the fleet fuel cost' period. Now, when I drive 68, I get passed all the time by even the national fleets.
And if you had plenty of company going that slow on an interstate, you are part of the rolling roadblock problem
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #191

I love finding routes other than the Interstates !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post

Agreed! Our wall-size map of the US is where we start. Once we have a basic, surface road route, we grab our road atlas for the details and look for camping spots en route. As I said before, if I was in a hurry, I’d leave the TT and fly. We didn’t buy our little house on wheels to travel swiftly.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #193

Quote:
The only place the traffic should be that bad on most interstates is in a large city.
And I agree, most semis are not speed demons. They all used to drive slower during the 'trying to save the fleet fuel cost' period. Now, when I drive 68, I get passed all the time by even the national fleets.
And if you had plenty of company going that slow on an interstate, you are part of the rolling roadblock problem
Not when I'm cruising along in the RH lane and there's plenty of room to pass in the left lane(s).

FWIW, I sometimes amuse myself by counting the number of times the same MH or TV/TT passes me as I drive across a state. They pass at high speed and disappear over the horizon. An hour or two later they speed past again.

Must have a vehicle full of people with small bladders and have to stop a lot.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I find that the secondary highways are much smoother than the interstates a majority of my travels. I believe you see much more scenic country than the interstate by a long shot.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:53 PM   #195

Quote:
IMO I believe the folks that sit in the left lane (passing lane) are the rolling roadblock. They pull out to pass and then just drive side by side with the right hand lane taking their sweet time.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #196

58 -62 in Ca since the roads are so hammered. If on a smooth Interstate 65 at the most.
Like others, I'm not in a hurry, but I do make it a point not to get in the way.

If I execute a pass on a grade, I make sure I can complete it without staying neck and neck. Even then, the same rigs I pass just end up passing me again on the downgrade.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Now that was hysterical! NJ, biggest nanny state I've ever lived in, has no special towing restrictions. Son of a gun. I can finally brag that my state has allowed common sense to prevail. For this one thing. Please don't publicize this, or my do-nothing but aggravate folks legislators will seize this opportunity to make more ground breaking legislation.

I was in Jersey further first time in 2016. I got out to pump my gas and the guy inside comes out yelling in a different language. I couldn't understand a darn thing he was saying. I lifted the gas handle from the pump and he snatched it out my hand.

Then he says that I cannot pump my own gas. I tell him the he!! I can't. I tell him I am not paying more for full service. He says no I can't cause it's the law. 😲😳😳. Never knew a law that silly could be passed.

I also remember something about Oregon voters getting mad cause they were talking about taking away the law that you could not pump your own gas. Lots of people were mad cause they had to pump their own gas. I could be remembering that wrong though.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:46 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
I was in Jersey further first time in 2016. I got out to pump my gas and the guy inside comes out yelling in a different language. I couldn't understand a darn thing he was saying. I lifted the gas handle from the pump and he snatched it out my hand.

Then he says that I cannot pump my own gas. I tell him the he!! I can't. I tell him I am not paying more for full service. He says no I can't cause it's the law. [emoji44][emoji15][emoji15]. Never knew a law that silly could be passed.

I also remember something about Oregon voters getting mad cause they were talking about taking away the law that you could not pump your own gas. Lots of people were mad cause they had to pump their own gas. I could be remembering that wrong though.
Oregon has kept their no self service law except in small counties. Weren't enough people willing to staff stations at night and people complained how they couldn't buy gas at late hours.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:24 PM   #199

interstate cruising speed

set cruise on 62 to 63, right lane, stay out of the way
tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:11 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
We have an e-pro 14fk (weighing around 2300 lbs) and we are towing it with a Ford Escape (with an EcoBoost 2 liter engine) and although we normally get 25+ MPG on freeways, we cannot achieve more than 18 MPG at 55-60 MPG. On freeways, we get a lot of air turbulence that we believe is a result of the high profile of our e-pro. It is apparently far less aerodynamic than your A-frame. Your TT folds down for towing, yes?
Yes I can see over my trailer in the rear view mirror. A weight distribution hitch made a world of difference handling.

Can't call it a TT especially at campgrounds where there are bears. I do have hard sides. (not offended)
grape_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote