Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #1
Gold Tee Box

Inverter Generator question

It's been a long time since I've posted, but I've been doing my research and am asking for some clarity.

I need a portable generator for various reasons, not just camping. I've looked at various models, but am concerned about weight (my back). The ones I've recently considered are Champion models, but to get up around 3Kw range they are about 100 lbs.

Some in past threads have recommended going to a lighter weight 2K type of model and doing a tandem or serial connection if needed with another unit. That would lessen the weight when lifting.

This is the question, is there a smaller unit like a 2KW which has a 30 Amp RV connection which can also be put in tandem and is light weight?

My RV has only one Air Conditioner so maybe a 2K unit weighing less would be the way to go. I know the cost of doing 2 units far exceeds the cost of just buying a larger inverter generator. I'm OK with that if the weight issues are manageable.

Thanks for the help, this is why I frequent this forum!

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #2

I have 2 Yamaha 2000w inverter generators. I use a parallel cable to connect the 2, and the cable provides a 30A travel trailer outlet. I don't know about other brands like Honda and such, but I'd think for sure there's an option for a 30A TT outlet.

This is the one I use
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-ACC-0S...ha+side&sr=8-4

And when I'm not planning on using the air conditioner, I only bring along 1 generator. I use an adapter on my 30A cable to connect it to the 15A household outlet on the generator.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:05 PM   #3
World Traveler Member

Sounds like you already know the answer and that is the reason I have two Yamaha generators both 2k and put out around 27 amps in tandem and they both weigh around 50 lbs so I can move them.

Generator Wattage. The maximum wattage for 30 amp service can be calculated by multiplying amperage by voltage. In other words, 30 amps multiplied by 120 volts equals 3,600 watts (amps x volts = watts). So, we can establish that a 30 amp RV will require a generator that produces more than 3,600 watts.

Keep in mind that starting watts are always more than running watts. It is a give and takes on weight. If I need air-condition it either both generators or go where there is power supplied. I have a smaller Microwave that I can run on one Generator and charges up my system on cloudly days.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiver View Post
Sounds like you already know the answer and that is the reason I have two Yamaha generators both 2k and put out around 27 amps in tandem and they both weigh around 50 lbs so I can move them.

Generator Wattage. The maximum wattage for 30 amp service can be calculated by multiplying amperage by voltage. In other words, 30 amps multiplied by 120 volts equals 3,600 watts (amps x volts = watts). So, we can establish that a 30 amp RV will require a generator that produces more than 3,600 watts.

Keep in mind that starting watts are always more than running watts. It is a give and takes on weight. If I need air-condition it either both generators or go where there is power supplied. I have a smaller Microwave that I can run on one Generator and charges up my system on cloudly days.
I hadn't thought about microwave, hair dryer, etc. I suppose they could be selectively timed

Do those generators 30amp RV connections? Will one run a single Air Conditioner?

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #5

The parallel kit for the Champion 2000 has a regular 120 outlet and an RV outlet.
To run my single AC unit I need both Champion 2000's running.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

To answer your question...

Not sure I've ever seen a 2k inverter generator with a 30a R/V outlet. Reason being, a 2k generator can't produce 30a so no reason for a 30a outlet.

But... almost ALL parallel kits I've seen DO have a 30a outlet. NOT ALL (most though) are 30a R/V outlets, some are 30a twist-lock but easily adapted.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #7

Champion offers a nice 2500 watt Inverter generator that can be hooked in parallel for up to 5.000 watts peak.

Only 39 pounds and 53 dba at 23 ft. They claim it's the lightest unit in it's class.

Parallel kit has a 30 amp outlet and you can only run one for light loads (or if you don't have two generators).

It sells for under $500 so you can have two of them for the price of ONE "Red One" (which is also heavier).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #8

I recently purchased the Generac 3000i generator. 3000w start up 2300w running. Dry weight 60lbs. Haven't used it camping yet but should run a single 13500 ac unit no problem. It does have a 30 amp outlet but you would need to buy a RV adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Generac-GP300...s%2C171&sr=8-2
Old 01-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #9

I run a single EU2200 and installed the Micro-Air Easy Start (google it) on my A/C unit. I've had co-workers have really good luck with the Harbor Freight models (2000 watts) with proper break-in. You could easily get 2 of those and parallel them together for less than 1 Honda. I quit using my EU3000 for the very reason you described...weight! It's 150 lbs. Since switching to the single 2200 unit I haven't looked back and it's much easier to load/unload and carry. Good Luck

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:17 AM   #10
Site Team

You need to be very specific when you ask about the 30A connection. Some of the generators ( both single and tandem) have a 30A RV plug and others have a 30A twist lock plug that will require an adapter. Both styles will work fine, but you will need an adapter on one.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #11

From my reading. Honda offers two versions of the ~2k generators. One, the "companion" model, has some kind of 30 amp outlet. The other doesn't. It seems that all other brands have the 30 amp outlet on the parallel adapter sold by that brand. So you need to check the parallel adapter for the brand of your choice. I haven't seen much about folks using two different brands of generator in a parallel setup. Many brands allow different sized generators of the same brand to be run in parallel, though there are some restrictions generally based on serial number ranges, check the brand's documentation for details.

One other piece of info to consider. If you are simply interested in running your AC, adding a MicroAir Easy Start to your AC has a high probability of providing what you want when running a single 2K gen, more likely with the newer 2.2K gens that are out. Using the Easy Start still requires good power management though. There are threads on this and other RV forums talking about the Easy Start units. My understanding is that they are fairly easy to install (one time effort).
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #12

I use a MicroAir with a Ryobi RYI2300 and it works ok for off grid camping. Also came in hand during a summer power outage giving me a cool place to work.

I saw a Generac GP3000i on Amazon recently that looks intriguing. It looks to be the size of a 2000w class inverter gen but with the power of a 3000w gen. I suspect it has a capacitor to help kick in some extra power when it gets hits hard but 2300 running watts would also run a camper pretty easily.

Looks like a model to consider for your purpose.
n0m4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Some in past threads have recommended going to a lighter weight 2K type of model and doing a tandem or serial connection if needed with another unit. That would lessen the weight when lifting.

This is the way I do it. But it's called a parallel connector. Yes, it does have an RV outlet. Yes, I like the two 50 lb units, my back thanks me, and I don't need assistance. I actually bought them before I got RV, based on conversations from this forum, and haven't even used them for traveling, as I have not needed them yet. They both fit in pickup bed beneath hard folding cover perfectly when I finally will need them. I've been using around house a little bit just to make sure they work before warranty expired.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
This is the way I do it. But it's called a parallel connector. Yes, it does have an RV outlet. Yes, I like the two 50 lb units, my back thanks me, and I don't need assistance. I actually bought them before I got RV, based on conversations from this forum, and haven't even used them for traveling, as I have not needed them yet. They both fit in pickup bed beneath hard folding cover perfectly when I finally will need them. I've been using around house a little bit just to make sure they work before warranty expired.
I'm enjoying my 3500 watt champ inverter right now. A huge windstorm blew through last night and cut power to a huge area around my house. Power company can't say when they'll have the lights back on.

Since my TT sits on a pad in my side yard, and generator is on a rear platform, it was just a matter of running a heavy cord i built to my house. Have furnace (nat gas) running, refer/freezer, and TV too.

I kind of go back and forth on which I'd prefer, two on parallel or one larger one.

Days like this favor the larger and with it mounted on the back of the TT, no lifting required.

It's looking like it's going to get a good workout too. Good thing I always fill fuel cans after I get back from camping.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

Good luck with power Mike. My open frame B&S generator has earned it's keep several times over at home in situations like yours. No power = no water or sump pumps for me. And now when my parents have an outage, I can bring the more portable inverter generators over and save the day (or days).
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #16

It's been out almost 12 hours now and checking the utility's website they haven't even assigned repair crews yet. This is making me think they lost a major transmission line feeding all the local substations. The utility doesn't have as anything needing repair, they need the big power supplier to "plug them back in".
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Good luck with power Mike. My open frame B&S generator has earned it's keep several times over at home in situations like yours. No power = no water or sump pumps for me. And now when my parents have an outage, I can bring the more portable inverter generators over and save the day (or days).

Old 01-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
It's been out almost 12 hours now and checking the utility's website they haven't even assigned repair crews yet. This is making me think they lost a major transmission line feeding all the local substations. The utility doesn't have as anything needing repair, they need the big power supplier to "plug them back in".
Us too, Mike. We're part of Snohomish PUD.
This is the first time I'm running the Champion 3500w open frame generator to power our 3200sqft house and it's not up to the task. It'll only power one breaker of outlets.
PUD is saying the same thing for us. Our daughter does have power back, in Monroe though.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #18
rbq

Noticed that Costco is now carrying the Firman 2000W inverter generators. They can be run in parallel and they come with a twist on 30 amp plug.
https://www.costco.com/firman-1600w-...100713858.html
Old 01-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Us too, Mike. We're part of Snohomish PUD.
This is the first time I'm running the Champion 3500w open frame generator to power our 3200sqft house and it's not up to the task. It'll only power one breaker of outlets.
PUD is saying the same thing for us. Our daughter does have power back, in Monroe though.
I don't back-feed my panel. Just extensions to essentials. Refrigator, ont for fiberoptic cable, tv, a power strip for charging, and an extension to my power recliner.[emoji106]

I'll charge my TT's batteries before dark and use the onboard inverter after dark so I don't irritate my neighbors with the generator. Refer will get unplugged until morning. Rinse and repeat if still no power in the AM.

Other than all these extension cords making it look like I live in a third world country life is good.

I plan on installing a transfer switch using the wires I vacated this last summer when I got rid of my hot tub. Kind of wish I hadn't put it off[emoji53]

Old 01-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I don't back-feed my panel. Just extensions to essentials. Refrigator, ont for fiberoptic cable, tv, a power strip for charging, and an extension to my power recliner.[emoji106]

I'll charge my TT's batteries before dark and use the onboard inverter after dark so I don't irritate my neighbors with the generator. Refer will get unplugged until morning. Rinse and repeat if still no power in the AM.

Other than all these extension cords making it look like I live in a third world country life is good.

I plan on installing a transfer switch using the wires I vacated this last summer when I got rid of my hot tub. Kind of wish I hadn't put it off[emoji53]
Yea, we paid extra to have backup generator capability, when the house was built.
The main panel has a transfer switch that blocks the main panel switch when you turn on the generator breaker switch. So no backfeeding.
We may go out to the TT tonight if the power not back on.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter