Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #41

My wife and I both have iPhones and iPads. I also have a apple TV unit in our rig. Great for viewing photos and video via airplay to the big TV. I also have a pico optoma projector and a screen for evening movies and (of course) Ohio state Football... (Go Bucks)... We tend to draw a crowd in parks on game night.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgood View Post
My wife and I both have iPhones and iPads. I also have a apple TV unit in our rig. Great for viewing photos and video via airplay to the big TV. I also have a pico optoma projector and a screen for evening movies and (of course) Ohio state Football... (Go Bucks)... We tend to draw a crowd in parks on game night.
What kind of data plan do you have that you can watch APPLE tv? Went and checked It out and am interested. Only limitation I see is data plan. We can't get unlimited on Verizon but have been thinking of getting another plan to support my growing fetish with NETFLIX, HULU and maybe APPLE TV.
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #43

I have a Verizon MiFi card. It may have its own plan, or for and extra 10 or 20 a month it can be added as a extra line.

It makes a wifi hotspot in the camper and about 50' outside of the camper depending on where you put it (I stick mine in the over cab bunk area). I connect my iPads, iPhones and apple TV to the network and airplay works great.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #44

Thanks. Gotta look into this.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #45

I have Apple TV and love it when I am home. It connects to my home WiFi network and is great for sharing anything to the big screen TV from my Mac or iPad. I've used it to watch movies, share photos or surf the internet.

When I am camping I have a Verizon Hotspot but am conflicted about how it calculates the data being used. I have read that all the data passing thru the hotspot is logged against your data plan even if it just between the Mac and the Apple TV, so this is what I did to allow me to mirror anything from my Mac, iPad to my big screen TV in the TT without the need for internet.

I have an Apple TV box ($99). I bought an Airport Express ($99). Using the Airport Express Utility I configured it to set up another network. There is an option to use the Airport Express without internet connection, which I did. This then creates a WiFi signal. You can choose the name for network during set-up.

Now, when I am home, using settings on my Apple TV, I set it up to use my home network. When I am camping I set the Apple TV to use my Airport Express Network. I also have to set my Mac or iPad to use the same Wifi network. Now, no worry about using any data because I am not connected to the internet. I can be in the middle of the desert with not WiFi or cellular data and still watch my Mac/iPad on my TT TV or connect it to a projector as a previous poster does.

I can carry my Apple TV and Airport Express anywhere and connect to any TV with HDMI and display on the TV what is on my computer. $200 but one large data bill from Verizon can be much more than that.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #46

Much valued info. DH and I have been trying to figure out how watch Apple TV, Hulu, NetFlix without going broke. Already found out using the Hopper and sling to watch movies on IPAD at the daughters house costs a bundle in data overage fees. Not for her she has FIOS, just me and my little ole MIFI. Eeeek!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
Much valued info. DH and I have been trying to figure out how watch Apple TV, Hulu, NetFlix without going broke. Already found out using the Hopper and sling to watch movies on IPAD at the daughters house costs a bundle in data overage fees. Not for her she has FIOS, just me and my little ole MIFI. Eeeek!
This won't help you with Hulu or Netflix because you need to have Internet connection to receive those.

This is only for watching a movie that you downloaded to your Mac or iPad or for watching a slide show or something you have already on your computer or tablet. You can carry it to a friends house to share your last camping trip photos, etc.

I am a little confused about your overage charges. Does your daughter have WiFi? If she does, you can connect your Mac or iPad to her WiFi network. I assume you have the Dish Anywhere app on your iPad. Using that app and your daughter WiFi you should be good to go with no fees assuming your daughter's ISP is like Comcast or another is is unlimited... Most home WiFi are that are supplied by the local cable company..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post

This won't help you with Hulu or Netflix because you need to have Internet connection to receive those.

This is only for watching a movie that you downloaded to your Mac or iPad or for watching a slide show or something you have already on your computer or tablet. You can carry it to a friends house to share your last camping trip photos, etc.

I am a little confused about your overage charges. Does your daughter have WiFi? If she does, you can connect your Mac or iPad to her WiFi network. I assume you have the Dish Anywhere app on your iPad. Using that app and your daughter WiFi you should be good to go with no fees assuming your daughter's ISP is like Comcast or another is is unlimited... Most home WiFi are that are supplied by the local cable company..
Yep. My daughter has FIOS unlimited data. We have a MIFI, Hopper and Sling at home. Using The Dish Anywhere on IPad. Kicker is that when you use the Dish Anywhere app to download/watch a movie, a fee is charge at home to get the movie to the Hopper and then a fee is charged at daughter's FIOS to watch the movie On ipad. DH and I were amazed, it's states this in the Hopper info. We just didn't get it. Got the sling so we could use the Ipad or PC in places that didn't have cable. This is not the way to do that! we're going to see what happens if we just watch a TV program already captured by the Hopper, then only daughter's FIOS should be charged. Hope my explanation made sense.