Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #41

Doesn’t remind me of “Convoy”. Reminds me of A typical type people who want to stereotype all people of a certain group into something that they have no idea what they are talking about. A vast majority of the truck drivers now days are college educated and changed jobs for the income or the freedom to come and go as they please. When you hear all of the rumble and grumble and don’t want to hear it, turn the volume down and 5 or 10 minutes later you’ll be out of their range and can carry on. The CB radio won’t have you distracted with having to look at it like a cell phone. I used one for about 40 years during my trucking career and just feel more comfortable with the ability to communicate with some of the vehicles around me. Looks like you run up on the same knuckle dragging stereotypes even on forums.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #42
Back On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Funny thing happened today.
I got a PM from someone here who I will not name that said he was insulted by my statement about Rebel truck drivers with a draw and wanted me to remove my statement. (Which I can't)
Obviously I didn't reply but if I did I would say the my statement was true being he sent me a message of the same.
Iggy, I'm trying to determine how you knew their was a drawl on a PM sent to you. LOL Safe travels, sir.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:53 PM   #43

Cb Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
I am considering installing a CB radio in my truck but don't want to go to the time and expense if I am going to be disappointed. Does anyone still have them in their rigs? Are they useful or entertaining?
My father in law and myself have them we find them very useful when traveling
thesharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #44

The Cobra model we have has the National weather service band on it. If your unit is older like mine, a 2006, the in dash radio isn't Sirius XM capable as is where you might be able to get the Weather Channel.

Sure, cell phone weather and radar is great but with the weather band you get someone talking to you about where the threats are to a pretty exact location and if you've got a copilot you can find out where you are in relation to them. Allows the driver to stay focused on driving not looking at radar. I think theres 10 NOAA weather stations by region.

We listen mostly to the CB if we run into slowdowns to hear the chatter about what's going on, lanes to be in, etc.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #45

Key words are "a few years ago." Dead silent here.

-- Chuck
Old 06-25-2020, 07:48 PM   #46

I have one. Don't here much one it but I've been running one for 40 years so why stop now.
KB9VBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #47

I as well am going to install one. I have a Midland also. I just have to get a mag mount antenna . I think it would be alot of fun and I like the old school stuff like that. When I was a teenager all of my buddies and I had one and we had alot of fun. I have a 2012 Ram and just need to decide where to mount the CB. My trailer brake control is in the handiest spot but I am not moving it.
razzle408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:24 PM   #48

Truck Driver

As a Truck driver of thirty eight years. I don’t have one in my pickup When pulling my fifth wheel, nor do I want one! We all have cell phones! The CB In the Semi was turned off! Times have changed! More noise and nonsense on there anymore! That’s my two cents. Maybe some one else likes it!
Luisde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:05 AM   #49

Quote:
I got a PM from someone here who I will not name that said he was insulted by my statement about Rebel truck drivers with a draw and wanted me to remove my statement. (Which I can't)
Obviously I didn't reply but if I did I would say the my statement was true being he sent me a message of the same.
I'd have to say that your message I found rude and condescending, along with the others that have questioned the "intelligence" of truckers. Not everyone out there is a Rhodes scholar like some of you. Classifying people by how they sound on a radio does nothing more than feed divisiveness. Don't like CB? Move on. I have one - a very nice one as a matter of fact, but rarely use it because I don't find it widely adopted any more therefore not of much value. Personally though I have no issue with rebel truckers with a drawl - it's a pretty thankless job they do and there are a lot of idiots that make it tougher.
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #50

Quote:
Probably because it's "drawl", not "draw".
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #51

We still have the same Uniden CB radios we had in the early '80's. They were handy for staying in contact with the base station at home mostly and were helpful on the road at the time. I stored them away after we got cell phones.

During our first hurricane evacuation without a CB radio we discovered that it was impossible to communicate because the cell towers couldn't handle the phone traffic.

When we returned home I modified the old mobile unit so I could plug into a 12 volt receptacle and I also dug up an old magnetic antenna.

They worked well during the next evacuation so we carry them in a drawer along with the FRS radios in case we ever need an alternate means of communication in the future.

I'll be checking into the 2 meter units. I know a few people that use them and they have mentioned a local repeater. Sounds interesting.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #52

Not many on 52 either de/n9hqg and n8mld
ER17453361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #53

Carry a 40ch handheld in the truck with me on trips. It's more of a novelty item now as there is very little traffic on any of the channels. I started in the CB world in 1974.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #54

Hate to show my age but I got into CB when it first came out and all radios were 23 channels and had tubes. At first there was no one on the air and at one point I put one in the truck and could only find a few farmers to talk to. Then it took off. Later on channel 10 was the truckers channel east of the Missouri River, and 19 west. And yes we had call signs when it first started. There was a place for them and still is in many places. If you don't like it or the language just shut it off. Don't run that foul mouthed Redneck, Hillbilly down. Could be they don't like our voice either. They just could be the one that saves your life someday. None of them will ever drive by anyone in need. Like the rest of us, some of them are highly educated. I moved on to Amateur Radio years ago but still keep a CB in my TV. Keep in mind when the grid goes down and it very well could, we'll still be able to communicate when all other forms go down. n9hqg and n8mld
ER17453361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:13 PM   #55

I have one in my truck; I use it for traffic information- to ask what lane is best in a slowdown, or just to banter with other drivers b
Wishart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #56

I had a couple CBs in the 70's that I used a lot. It was a necessity when the national speed limit was 55mph (what a joke!). Regret giving away my small portable plug in model to my SIL for his personal car, he is an OTR trucker.
I picked up a yard sale special CB a few years ago and stored it. Recently put a 12vdc plug on it (hard to find except on Amazon) and got an antenna for it. It resides in my truck, just for long distance travel use. I went with a Firestik offset bed stake hole mount for my aluminum body truck. The off set allows my soft folding tonneau cover to work with no modifications.
I also have two Walkie talkie type CBs I've managed to keep.
I've driven from PA to my cousin in UT twice. Both times there were large sections of no cell coverage. So the CB is a safety backup when traveling. And for those who might be aware that the world is NOT a well padded, crayon coloring Safe space, more comms the better when the SHTF.
Boomerweps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #57

I like having the CB as backup, and backup plans in general.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:49 AM   #58

CB seems dead, but HAM is very much alive. One advantage of HAM radio is that you can legally use it while driving, because it requires a license which requires professionalism and common sense. The language used on HAM is regulated so you won't find cussing and such. The FCC actually "goes after" and prosecutes abuse of HAM radio users for abuse.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWJ View Post
CB seems dead, but HAM is very much alive. One advantage of HAM radio is that you can legally use it while driving, because it requires a license which requires professionalism and common sense. The language used on HAM is regulated so you won't find cussing and such. The FCC actually "goes after" and prosecutes abuse of HAM radio users for abuse.
I'm not aware of any laws that prohibit the use of a CB while driving.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:09 PM   #60

I would suggest looking into a Ham radio. It’s fairly easy to get a license now days. When traveling I keep in on simplex frequencies. Mostly 152. I’ve been surprised at how many use it on a regular basis. And it’s a lot more family friendly than cb.
Eagle1rm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio