Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #1

is everyone pleased with the results of dometic recall

We have an appt, next week to have our refrig work done, we are on a permanent site, therefore, not able to bring TT back to original dealer, after a call to dometic I was given some numbers to call, ask about the travel charge, report back to dometic and basically told to use the cheapest price, my question is should we make it a point to be there when they fix it, we were told that we dont have to be, because they have master keys to the TT. I have never had a warranty problem, so would you assume that the numbers that they give you would be reputable? I did choose the one that had rv in their name,, when I spoke to him, he had mentioned the he had done quite a few in our area,,any thoughts!!
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #2

Its a pretty simple thing that takes about 30 minutes for them to complete.

If they gave you the number then I would not worry at all.

They add two shields and a thermal switch best I can tell on ours.

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #3

If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't know any thing about it. I have not been notified at all by anyone. It's things like this that make me give up camping, Dangerous issues, they don't care if you are notified or not. I guess this is the new American Way Don't do anything just turn the other cheek, it's a shame.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #4

rockwood06 MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE following

the Dometic customer ID number.

That is the number the dealer/repair service uses to get paid. The Dometic phone room is a JOKE at best.

Mike
Old 06-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #5

I have to find out if my dealer is one of the dealer that can do the repairs. From the info I read, not all dealers are authorized, and thanks for the info!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #6

Mine after the mickey mouse recall fix

Two shields and a thermal switch added.

We did go camping this weekend and the unit worked great so I replaced the battery in the smoke detector and pulled out the adult beverages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0436.JPG
Views:	1317
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0437.JPG
Views:	1242
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0438.JPG
Views:	1049
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	907  
Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #7

Is this the repair?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #8

Oh and yes the dometic kit is callled "sbh kit"

Peggy on the phone line was good at dometic and Laquisha < spelling? with Dometic made it happen for me.

Donetta is a joke on the phone line she done nothing but talk smack.

"SBH kit"
Old 06-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #9

What about the cracked manifold?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #10

yep thats the repair

1 shield around the canister thingy and a thermal switch added (the red wire switch) and the big outer sheild.

That photo was taken minutes ago.

Mike
Old 06-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #11

My manifold was not cracked and all they are doing is adding the sheilds and switch to shut it down if overheat and supposed protect the burner incase of a crack.

Like I said looks mickey mouse to me.

Mike
Old 06-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #12

OK, correct me if I am wrong, are these units loosing Ammonia? and if so how does this fix it?
Old 06-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #13

It is supposed so I hear to keep it from getting to the burner.

Based on what I see it appears it should shut (thermal switch) it down before it gets hot enough to fail and cause a fire.

I really wish I knew more.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #14

It seems to me that they need to fix the leak. If an A/C unit looses 10% of it's charge, by law the unit has to be repaired or replace. This is a strange law, but if it is a very small leak it can be recharge and no demands are made to replace it.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #15
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I'm glad the fridge in my Park Trailer is a Whirlpool.....

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #16

I made a vist to my dealers to day with my camper, the info I got is that Dometic is taking precautions. Dometic sees a problem that could come up IF the manifold cracked because of the location of the componets. The service manager told me that he has not seen any problems on any of the recalls where people have had damage due to this issue. Dometic is trying to seperate the ammonia from the two red wires that are on the cannister and the cannister it self. The list of things that Dometic posted as to what to look for would be a resalt if somthing were to happen to the system, this would give you and Idea where it is coming from. I suggest to check with your service department and see if they come up with the same conclusion.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #17

I'm with RockWood06 - its not really a repair, Its just a safety thing so TT won't blow up and burn to ground. The manifold can still crack!
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #18

Rockwood 06:

You hit the nail on the head with your question: "What about the cracked manifold?" This Dometic recall was a joke!.

We had ours done and had to pay an extra $40 for the trip charge, because our unit is permanently parked about 25 miles from the dealership with no way to get it there!

So, I, for one, am not a happy camper! This should have cost me ZERO dollars. It was a half day inconvenience for me, too, for a couple of silly sheet metal shields and junk. I DOUBT SERIOUSLY that these shields will stop a real fire if I get a crack in my cooling unit.

I think DOMETIC is PLAYING THE ODDS HERE FOLKS. But, the odds involve your trailer going up in flames! I am not joking about that. When I asked the Dometic recall line, I even got conflicting info - one person said don't run it on AC power, just run the fridge on gas - the other said, 'no, don't do that, it would be much worse' - 'dont even use it at all until you get the recall done'. So, I jumped through hoops and paid extra to get it done. Hah! What a joke that recall was!

Bottom line: If you TRAVEL with your RV and your fridge is subjected to bouncing and bumping all the time and is not PARKED all the time, you should DEMAND that Dometic replace the entire cooling unit and threaten to SUE THEM if they do not do so. The rest of us are playing the odds that the CRACK doesnt happen to us or that these flimsy sheet metal plates will stop a fire.

Heck, if the side of my trailer catches on fire, due to a refrigerant leak, DOMETIC will be sued. No doubt about it. I just hope those emergency windows work well.

Better stock up on portable fire extinguishers, folks, just in case.
walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #19

My fridge quit working on AC power, but it works on gas. Does that have anything to do with the recall that I never got???? Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #20

need new refrigerator

We dropped off our 25' 02 rockwood for the recall kit but the dealer says the kit won't fix it, it needs a new cooling unit. I'm natually pessimistic so how do I know they are not pulling a fast one here.
Assuming the frig really is dead, any suggestions on a new one? I've read good reviews about Norcold as far as how they stand behind their products.
Anyone know off hand the size of the frig in our TT so I can research online a bit right now, the TT is at the dealer.
Thanks, Brian
brianR is offline   Reply With Quote