Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #1

Question Is insurance necessary?

We have a 2005 Travel Trailer all paid for. The insurance is coming up for renewal and we are trying to find out if insurance is a requirement on it. Know it varies from state to state. If the board members don't know, maybe someone has suggestions when we could inquire.

2002 GMC Sierra 5.3
2005 Flagstaff 26RKS
tomkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

According to my insurance guy, the liability on my trailer is covered under the tow vehicle. I do have comprehensive insurance on the camper, so if something happens to it (fire, accident, limb across it, etc.) I can come close to replacing it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
According to my insurance guy, the liability on my trailer is covered under the tow vehicle. I do have comprehensive insurance on the camper, so if something happens to it (fire, accident, limb across it, etc.) I can come close to replacing it.
I have Nationwide Insurance and that is the way mine works.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #4

I carrier full coverage on all of my vehicles including my TT. The full coverage on the tow vehicle includes the trailer when I am towing. But one thing is a fact, If you plan on parking your rig on a seasonal site in most cases the campground will require insurance on the rig and they want to see your insurance policy. The minimum coverage that is needed is $100,000/300,000 that is what is required where my rig is. CAUTION for the little bit of money that it cost to insure your rig or carrier the proper coverage on your tow vehicle it's worth the peace of mine knowing that if anything go's wrong while towing YOU are covered because if not there is a great chance that YOU could lose everything you have worked hard for because of a lack of insurance. A rig that comes off of it's tow vehicle for any reason can be a disaster not only in property damage but the loss of life and the first thing that comes to mined is the children. The way I look at it, the insurance I buy for my cars, trucks and camper is to cover your losses in the event that I am at fault and it doesn't matter if the vehicles are paid in full.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

What rockwood06 said, and the possibility of breaking and entering, vandalism, neighbors rig goes up in flames and takes yours with it, hailstorms, lightning on the power grid and on and on.

Paid for is one thing, but not worth insuring is something else. I would think a 2005 TT would be worth insuring for at least another 5 or 6 years.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote