Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #1

Unhappy Is it just me? (spare tire access)

As you can see on my info, I have a 2016 Cedar Creek fifth wheel, original owner. Have not had an issue with tires so far (fingers crossed). There is a spare tire mounted under the unit, accessible by a crank up/down winch, much like those found on any pick up truck with a full size spare. I realized I have never known where the crank handle/extension was stored on the unit to access the spare tire. After looking extensively, I sent an inquiry to FR and the response was that there is no crank handle included with the unit, it has to be ordered separately...WHAT!!?? Is this actually the situation?
IICAPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes, that is actually the situation.

The good news is that a 3/4" socket and extension or speed handle will fit it.
If you have a manual handle for the stabilizers it should also fit it.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #3

We have a Silverback 33ik and the spare is under the camper and now that I think about it I haven't seen a tool to get mine down either. Have seen here on a thread that it takes a 3/4 socket. I plan on getting under mine this weekend and check it out.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

For what its worth I'd take that spare and put it some where other than under the camper. You ever had to crawl under a camper in the rain and lay in the mud to get to the tire. I had the dealer take mine down and I put it in the side compartment that goes all the way through. Did this the day I bought it. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

Thanks all. After finding other threads on the subject, I found that the absence of access tools is, indeed, the norm. I can't imagine purchasing a new pick up with a full size spare and not having crank tools provided. After 4 years of ownership (and countless issues), I thought I had "seen it all".

I have continuously maintained a roadside assistance plan on this unit, so I never much worried about changing a tire, or what it took to do so. I would never attempt to change a tire on this beast in a roadside situation, in any case.
IICAPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #6
BMullins46

My XLR toy hauler and has the same situation. I have had to access my spare several times, although not in the rain, biggest issue was getting the flat tire back in the mounting space. I have noticed that the units from Heartland use the BAL under mount tire carrier. This device is realitively inexpensive and I believe would make getting to the spare tire easier. I carry a battery powered impact wrench which I use with the 3/4" speed socket to operate the winch.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #7

Interesting read. My GDRV did come with the crank handle. I had to use it on our last outing when I picked up a screw in the left rear tire. A suggestion - keep a piece of cardboard to lower the tire onto so you can slide the tire out from under the camper and back in. The rubber of the tire does not slide well on pavement. Or rock. Or dirt.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #8

Not the same but just as bad

I have a 2018 Cardinal and they put mine on the inside of the storage compartment but it’s on the left side! With traffic wizzing by it’s very dangerous trying to get it out exspecially if you have to unload some cargo to get to it. Sometimes you have to wonder who’s doing the thinking on these things
TGO Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IICAPN View Post
Thanks all. After finding other threads on the subject, I found that the absence of access tools is, indeed, the norm. I can't imagine purchasing a new pick up with a full size spare and not having crank tools provided. After 4 years of ownership (and countless issues), I thought I had "seen it all".
Comparing the RV Industry with the Auto Industry will only frustrate you. They have very few things in common.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Comparing the RV Industry with the Auto Industry will only frustrate you. They have very few things in common.
The only common thing I can think of is that they roll on tires.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
The only common thing I can think of is that they roll on tires.
Yep and they sell through dealerships.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #12

spare tire ?????

I have a 2019 FR3 30DS I bought new. I don't think I have a spare tire? Is this common practice? I looked for one and haven't been able to find one in or on my FR3. I remember hearing something about it on our walk thru but the walk thru was done so fast. I got the feeling that once the deal was approved the dealer wasn't as helpful anymore. I thought he said something about not needing a spare due to the product inside the tires. Anyway I'm hoping someone out here can help me understand what he might have meant. I bought the unit brand new a year ago but haven't been able to go due to Covid. I have put a whole 1505 miles on it. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated!!!!!!.
gerrygambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:48 PM   #13

Our Blue Ridge 3025rl requires the spare to be released from the road side but extracted from the curb side of the front storage bay. That's after you unload same, took a real brainiac to design that.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrygambler View Post
I have a 2019 FR3 30DS I bought new. I don't think I have a spare tire? Is this common practice? I looked for one and haven't been able to find one in or on my FR3. I remember hearing something about it on our walk thru but the walk thru was done so fast. I got the feeling that once the deal was approved the dealer wasn't as helpful anymore. I thought he said something about not needing a spare due to the product inside the tires. Anyway I'm hoping someone out here can help me understand what he might have meant. I bought the unit brand new a year ago but haven't been able to go due to Covid. I have put a whole 1505 miles on it. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated!!!!!!.
Some RVs comes with spares, some do not. Use the search box on the form and search on "FR3 spare". There have been prior discussions on the subject, like this one: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...re-138757.html
Old 09-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrygambler View Post

Forget about what the dealer said.

Some RVs comes with spares, some do not. Use the search box on the form and search on "FR3 spare". There have been prior discussions on the subject, like this one: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...re-138757.html
Old 09-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #16

Since I immediately replaced the China bomb tires on my trailer with Goodyear Endurance tires I got two rims and mounted two of the original tires on them. I keep those two tires in the bed of my truck all summer long. As for the 3/4 inch socket needed to lower some tires, always use a six point socket. One thing I immediately noticed about my FE trailer is that the design of the rim is such that a lug wrench or impact socket was too thick to access the lug nuts due to the concave design of the spokes. Only a standard socket would fit, so I got a dedicated 1/2 inch six point deep socket and breaker bar that always stay in the storage compartment. I also keep a Harbor Freight 1/2 inch torque wrench in there. $20 if you hit the right sale.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #17

When we bought ours new the spare tire was in the front basement on the off road side. It’s been there ever since (never had cause to use it thank heaven) It’s out of the elements and the only thing I do is check the air pressure (easy with TPMS) We have never found the loss of the storage space to be an issue. As has been said previously the thought of getting under the rig in the rain doesn’t do much for me but every one is different. Our spare is in fact one of the original Double King brand China bombs which served is well for five years and about 30K miles until I replaced them with GY Endurance tires this spring.

6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #18

Cedar Creek 34IK also stores spare in back under the frame. As others noted, no tool provided, same as no tool to assist with changing tire. I have practiced changing a tire in the driveway, first attempt I did not have a socket or lug wrench that would fit the narrow clearance of the lug nut. Bought a 6 point socket at auto parts store, 8T bottle jack, long handle 1/2” breaker bar, torque wrench at HF. Also carry 1/2” battery impact tool. Before each major trip i check the spare tire pressure and lug nut torque on all wheels, takes maybe 15 minutes. At each stop on the road I have an infrared thermometer I use to check the tire and hub temperatures. Gives me a bit of peace of mind.
Pete usn ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:54 PM   #19

I have a 2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway my handle was located in the front locker when I picked it up at the dealer.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #20
AlmostretiredTom

I must be lucky. Found mine at original walk-thru (2018 CC 36ck2). Was stored in the basement storage where I expected it to be. With respect, surprised you hadn't looked since you bought. I climb under each year to make sure pressure in spare is up. (That seems to get forgotten when it is out of sight). I would hate to need it and have a low/flat spare.
tomaziegler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire