Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #1

Is repair wait time getting longer?

There has been a lot of talk about increased RV sales, crowded campgrounds, etc. How about difficulty getting repairs, parts, etc.?

It took two months to get an appointment with my local dealer to do routine maintenance on the propane appliances, replace the bearings and diagnose the cause of an unevenly warn tire. Despite saying that they would work on the trailer the day i brought it in, it took 6 days before I received word that the rear axle needed to be replaced. I was told it would take two weeks to get the axle and put down a deposit. Now, two and a half weeks later, the estimated arrival of the axle is a month. Our planned trips are in jeopardy.

If this is becoming common, I wonder how long the new entrants to the RV seen will last.
Trailer traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #2

What you are experiencing is due to the total disruption referred to as "Covid".

Factories everywhere are hampered by closures and restrictions in the workplace. Production of raw materials as well. Even your Dealer is under some form of restriction as to how close his people can be when working,

It's not just you that's experiencing delays, it's everyone from the raw material suppliers to consumers.

In some ways this is much like the WWII years when the whole world was dealing with shortages.

Like then, this will end and things will become more normal, at least whatever the new "Normal" will be then.

Heck, it can take me up to three weeks to get an appointment with my barber. Four chairs in their shop and only two are allowed to be working at any given time. Used to be able to walk in, sign the list, and be in the chair in less than an hour.

Different times so we just need to adapt.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #3

My advice is stop going to a dealer for service, even for warranty work. Go to an independent service only shop or mobile. You will get better work and won't have to leave your RV for weeks. We have only used independents for years and are much happier! I'm sure independents are much busier also, but it has got to be faster than a dealer
If you do need warranty work just make sure they get pre-approved first. No biggy.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My advice is stop going to a dealer for service, even for warranty work. Go to an independent service only shop or mobile. You will get better work and won't have to leave your RV for weeks. We have only used independents for years and are much happier! I'm sure independents are much busier also, but it has got to be faster than a dealer
If you do need warranty work just make sure they get pre-approved first. No biggy.
Can't argue about using independents but they too are limited by parts availability. What good is an appointment with technicians available but you can't get the axle they are going to replace? (just to use the OP's situation as an example.)
'

Old 02-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #5

. I can always can always count on you Titanmike!
We (my friends and family) use a particular local independent when we are in town. He says he has not had problems getting parts so far. He does admit it may take a little longer (days, not weeks).
Unlike a dealer, the RV remains in your possesion until the parts arrive if that is what you want to do.
My nephew just had his toy hauler serviced. The independent came out to the farm, decided it needed an entire new main propane heater and a water heater board. He ordered the parts, had my nephew bring it in to the shop when everything was on hand (10 days later) and my nephew had the RV back the next day.
That is the service all of us are used to when dealing with independents.
I think the dealers use the lack of timely parts delivery as an excuse for over booking. Things may change the longer this goes on, but right now most parts seem to be available according to our independent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Can't argue about using independents but they too are limited by parts availability. What good is an appointment with technicians available but you can't get the axle they are going to replace? (just to use the OP's situation as an example.)
'
Old 02-05-2021, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Things may change the longer this goes on, but right now most parts seem to be available according to our independent.

Things have been changing all along, even before Covid.

Here's an interesting read on what's been happening to the entire manufacturing industry:

https://www.bdo.com/insights/industr...ovel-coronavir

Quote:
Supply shortages and increased prices:
Until affected factories can resume production, manufacturers will need to rely on inventory stockpiles. However, these resources are limited and will run out eventually. When existing inventory runs dry, we can expect to see shortages and / or price increases throughout supply chains if alternate sources aren’t secured.

Fulfilment delays:
Quarantines, travel restrictions, and workforce shortages can make it difficult or impossible for impacted manufacturers to fulfill their contractual obligations to their customers. A shortage or delay of products can seriously impact a company’s reputation and may result in lost customers or even legal consequences.
The examples you used are items that have been "on the shelf" in sufficient quantities to meet projected demand for warranty/repair and as long as that stock remains your local person will be able to tell you "no problem getting parts".

The part about "Fulfilment Delays" will make it very difficult for those items to be replaced and THEN his answer will change.

I experienced this when under contract to a Manufacturer in the 70's and early 80's when several strikes cut off supplies of critical parts for over half a year. Then it was only a minor hiccup compared to what's been going on today.

Disagree with me all you want, the attached article is not my words but others who have a much better view of what's happening.

BTW, have you ordered anything from Amazon lately? Noticed how many items now show "Out of stock, no estimate when it will be back in stock"? OR

Estimated delivery times are 2-3 months from now? (I just experienced that on an order I placed in mid January. Regular checks on order status kept showing later and later estimated arrival dates. Latest was mid-March.

My Son's business is experiencing the same. Most of his product is manufactured just 70 miles away and shipped to a distribution center less than 2 miles from his shop. Between Covid restrictions and supply of offshore raw materials he's seen order lead time rise from "next delivery day" (which is once per week) to as much as 6 months.

I agree that some Dealers do as you suggest. But I'm equally sure that there are Dealers out there that don't deserve to be painted with the same brush.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #7

Delay repair time

As said before all dealers should not be painted with the same brush. That being said when the paint dries they seem to have the same paint color.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:35 AM   #8

Parts can be a problem.

I waited months after placing an order with an RV parts supplier for a Dometic Rooftop AC motor. After waiting months, the order was simply canceled and my money returned without explanation.

I called a couple of local RV repair shops and was told that nobody in the RV world could get me an AC motor. I was told in September that new RVs otherwise ready for delivery were lined up at the factories waiting for AC units, and in that situation, nobody had motors.

Based on this, I took my old motor to a local pump and motor supplier. He got me a replacement in about 6 days. It cost almost double the RV supply chain prices, but I did get it and my AC has been cooling very nicely for a few months now.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
I waited months after placing an order with an RV parts supplier for a Dometic Rooftop AC motor. After waiting months, the order was simply canceled and my money returned without explanation.

I called a couple of local RV repair shops and was told that nobody in the RV world could get me an AC motor. I was told in September that new RVs otherwise ready for delivery were lined up at the factories waiting for AC units, and in that situation, nobody had motors.

Based on this, I took my old motor to a local pump and motor supplier. He got me a replacement in about 6 days. It cost almost double the RV supply chain prices, but I did get it and my AC has been cooling very nicely for a few months now.
You sbould of ordered an entire a/c unit My brother just (last month) had a second a/c unit placed on his pig trailer to get ready for show pig buying season. Had no problem ordering and receiving it. Guess he was just lucky?
All I can say is that everyone is doing projects on their homes and RVs and nobody I have talked to has had any problem getting what they need. They have complained about cost though.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #10

COVID disruptions in every industry.

Here our RV dealer is having trouble getting RVs and Parts, our car dealer can't get very many new cars, trucks, or parts, our John Deere dealer is having the same issues no tractors or parts.......... everything is selling as quickly as it get to the lot (or pre sold) ..................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There have been threads on here (and other R/V forums) for YEARS about the delay in getting R/Vs repaired and or parts. Nothing new. Two months for routine maintenance and days for an answer about something is nothing but a shame!

COVID has made this somewhat worse to a degree (especially on parts availability) but I'm seeing/hearing talk of the same worthless repair facilities now simply using COVID as their latest excuse for poor service.

As mentioned, not all dealers are the same but some in our area, that are reporting record sales, are also telling folks they can't get parts and are forewarning them they may wait months for repairs. What people (newbies and those that don't do their homework) do not realize is this has been an ongoing issue in the industry not always a result of the factory or something like COVID.

Do your due diligence. Many only look a $$ when it comes to buying and then when they need help, their world comes crashing in on them. Find a good dealer or use a mobile technician.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #12

repair waiting time

For all to know. The motor on some steps is the same as a Ford taurus
window motor. Just use the number on motor to cross reference on Amazon.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #13

There are parts available you just have to look for them. Dealers have a very limited number suppliers they use (mainly Factory). If they say "out of stock" they just back order it. (I' am sure with warranty repairs parts need to be supplied by Factory) So that could be a factor. A quality local shop will do more to locate parts. I just did a search for 3500lbs axels and found them available to ship in 3-5 days. It comes down to effort and most dealers lack that. I have been fighting with dealer for warranty repairs and am getting the run around, yet every time I was there, the shop had empty bay's, tech's standing around and the service desk saying they are backed up for month's. Don't figure
Old 02-06-2021, 10:54 PM   #14

Not in my experience. Mine was done in two weeks and I was very surprised. Because it has always been a month or two.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:44 AM   #15

Thanks for all the replies. I have used independent service centers and mobile services before. Especially prefer mobile services when on the road. The service center I usually use was so busy, he would not even make an appointment and told me to check back at a date after we were planning to start our next trip. The mobile service that I have used and got good service from here at home does not do running gear work, just appliances. The dealer had given me good and timely service for warranty work within the past year.

I looked on line for axles and did not find the 4500# Dexter part number one I need. Lots of 3000, 3500 and 6000# available. So I guess I will continue to wait.

Thanks again for all the responses.
Trailer traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair