Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #1

Is there any small pop up that can be pulled by a jeep TJ sport?

My son has a jeep TJ sport, at least I think that's what it's called. Is there any kind of lightweight camper or pop up he could tow or should he just give up on the idea?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Always Learning

There are pop-ups sized the whole way down to what a motorcycle can tow. It's all about what amenities you want (they're mostly tenting, beds and a small table - no electronics at all).
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Site Team

SylvanSport GO | Lightweight, Small Pop Up Campers - Camping Trailer
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
My son has a jeep TJ sport, at least I think that's what it's called. Is there any kind of lightweight camper or pop up he could tow or should he just give up on the idea?
TJ is the internal letter designation given to the Jeep Wrangler line from 1998 to 2006. Sport denotes that it is the second to the bottom option line, so it could be a 4 or 6 cylinder. The 6 should have a tow rating of 2500 pounds which will pull many small pop-ups.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
TJ is the internal letter designation given to the Jeep Wrangler line from 1998 to 2006. Sport denotes that it is the second to the bottom option line, so it could be a 4 or 6 cylinder. The 6 should have a tow rating of 2500 pounds which will pull many small pop-ups.
I know it is a 6 cylinder and I read on a jeep forum that it is capable of pulling like you say but the concern was the safety of such a short wheelbase. In addition to that they said the problem could be worsened by oversize tires and a lift.

I know there are some pics on this forum of people pulling the A frame style pop up with a jeep. I am just hoping to gain more information and be able to give better advice and perhaps help in the search for a small lightweight camper.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I know it is a 6 cylinder and I read on a jeep forum that it is capable of pulling like you say but the concern was the safety of such a short wheelbase. In addition to that they said the problem could be worsened by oversize tires and a lift.

I know there are some pics on this forum of people pulling the A frame style pop up with a jeep. I am just hoping to gain more information and be able to give better advice and perhaps help in the search for a small lightweight camper.
I have several friends who pull pop-ups with TJ era Wranglers, no problems. We had planned to do the same thing with our first trailer that was a pop-up but went with a bigger trailer. Now with that said, here are my suggestions:
-Even with the 4.0 straight 6 - you are limited to 2500 pounds. that is a ceiling, not a guide.
-stock tires were around 29 inches (the S code option would get your 30 inch tires with 3.73 gears and is the BEST for towing) and 3.07 gears. They are horrible for towing. Either do NOT go up in tire size or plan to re-gear.
-if lifted: if it is an adjustable control arm lift with a SYE and total lift is less than 5.5 inches, up to 2500 is OK if prevailing speed kept at 60 or less. You will wear out u-joints so keep plenty on hand to do roadside repair. Every self-respecting Jeeper should be able to do this with one arm tied behind his back. If not a control arm lift, or with no SYE - do NOT pull a trailer. It is unsafe at any speed.

As with all such advice, these are intended to be general guidelines and your experience may vary.

I towed a variety of trailers with a 01 TJ with 5 inch lift and 33 inch tires.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
outdoor addict

I have a Leesurelite tent trailer that I pull behind my Gold Wing motorcycle. They sell a lot of them to people with small vehicles such as Smarts, Fiat 500s, etc. As already said there is no electronics but I do not see much use for that with a tent trailer. There is an option for A/C though.

Webpage: http://tent-trailer.com
Cheers,
nakerr is offline   Reply With Quote