Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2022, 07:05 PM   #1

Is there any value to having a Good Sam membership?

Just as the subject says, how many and which RV travel organizations should one belong to? I don't mind the annual subscriptions for one or two but after a while, it does add up. And to what benefits? If you had to choose one, which one would it be and why?

Bob, K4TAX
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:12 PM   #2
Enjoying Life

10% off at Good Sam campgrounds, discount on fuel at Pilot/Flying J.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:19 PM   #3

TNX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
10% off at Good Sam campgrounds, discount on fuel at Pilot/Flying J.
OK, thanks. Don't use any commercial campgrounds and have a gas burner so don't stop at Pilot/Flying J. Also the Camping World discount is nice but I can usually find what I'm looking for, for less after the CW discount.

Bob
Old 03-16-2022, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
OK, thanks. Don't use any commercial campgrounds and have a gas burner so don't stop at Pilot/Flying J. Also the Camping World discount is nice but I can usually find what I'm looking for, for less after the CW discount.

Bob
Looks like your mind was already made up.

You can use the discount for gas as well. I have belonged as a life member to Good Sam since 1988 it paid for itself over and over.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:08 PM   #5

We have one. It is relatively inexpensive and do use the campground and fuel discounts.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Looks like your mind was already made up.

You can use the discount for gas as well. I have belonged as a life member to Good Sam since 1988 it paid for itself over and over.

We have a lifetime National Park Senior Pass. Usually $10 per night, no discounts. Likewise for state parks. Senior discount and no others. Don't know where you find the gas discounts other than truck stops. We don't use them because of congestion and the ugh, smell of diesel fumes.

Guess I'll send them my $22 and be done with it. I tried to use it a couple of times last year and was greeted with "we don't take those". Go figure.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
We have a lifetime National Park Senior Pass. Usually $10 per night, no discounts. Likewise for state parks. Senior discount and no others. Don't know where you find the gas discounts other than truck stops. We don't use them because of congestion and the ugh, smell of diesel fumes.

Guess I'll send them my $22 and be done with it. I tried to use it a couple of times last year and was greeted with "we don't take those". Go figure.
Use the Good Sam app to find your next camping spot. You'll get the discount then (or, at least find parks that honor it).
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:08 PM   #8

We have Good Sam for the member insurance discount. Use it occasionally for camping discounts.

Don't think I could choose just one. We use KOA for their camping discount, Coach-net for Roadside Assistance, FMCA for camping and their magazine, and another one that I can't remember right now.

It does add up, but their discounts usually pay for the cost of membership.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:52 AM   #9

We have good sams the wife likes to use it to plan trips, but I just got the free script to that rv app/ magazine for being a member of this forum. She might like it better because I might be wrong. When we decide on our big trip every two years I pre plan find way I want to go and figure out fuel consumption. She always gets mad that I’m within a few gallons each time ( she pics the rv parks within a range of the stops I give her or it would be closer) she hasn’t figured out they she gives them same info I put in calculator.

Anyway for the longer trips where we are just staying overnight on way to destination I believe we use more of the private parks and most take good sams. As for the camping world discounts if we are near one with time to kill we will stop by I like to see things in person but I like my money so regardless of where I am looking I usually talk my self out of buying
Old 03-17-2022, 06:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Just as the subject says, how many and which RV travel organizations should one belong to? I don't mind the annual subscriptions for one or two but after a while, it does add up. And to what benefits? If you had to choose one, which one would it be and why?

Bob, K4TAX
I'm a member but if you don't order from camping world or have a gas station like pilot to get5 cents off a gal then it's not worth it. to me I use Amazon . don't know y I'm a member
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:18 AM   #11
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
I'm a member but if you don't order from camping world or have a gas station like pilot to get5 cents off a gal then it's not worth it. to me I use Amazon . don't know y I'm a member
Same here... Dunno why? Just like some magazine subscriptions and other little used things.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:05 AM   #12

I've found that Pilot gas is usually high price in my area so the 5 cents off isn't worth it. As far as CW I've been RVing for over 10 years and they really don't have that much that I need any more. The camp ground will usually take an AARP or other discount so who cares?
Old 03-17-2022, 08:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
We have good sams the wife likes to use it to plan trips, but I just got the free script to that rv app/ magazine for being a member of this forum.
Moose074: Which RV magazine did you get the free subscription to and how does one sign up?
NevadaMiniLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:46 AM   #14

We have Good Sam Roadside Assistance which proved to be invaluable having had a flat tire on the camper. If you are only in need of campground info and assistance, I can't see any benefits other than discounts which can be found through AARP etc. There are a lot of free camping APPs. Since we are seniors and prefer public campgrounds for various reasons incl. senior discounts, we use an app that charges a one time fee of $3.99 called UC public campgrounds. It all depends on your preferences.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:46 AM   #15

Wife and I have 2 long(ish) trips planned this spring and fall, Grand Canyon and Glacier NP. In making reservations we kept getting asked if we were Good Sam members. So I went ahead and signed up. The Grand Canyon trip will basically pay for the 1 year membership and the Glacier NP trip savings will be all gravy. After that we will decide if it is worth it to us to continue the membership. Other than that, our National Park Lifetime Senior Pass gets us 50% at pretty much any other campgraound that is not private.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:57 AM   #16

No Card

How do you use a Good Sams membership at a gas station when you don’t have a plastic swipe card? All they provided me was a paper copy of the “card”.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
How do you use a Good Sams membership at a gas station when you don’t have a plastic swipe card? All they provided me was a paper copy of the “card”.
I just looked at my Good Sam Membership confirmation that was sent. It appears to be digital and you have to download the app. I do not want to do that so you can request a physical card by calling 1.800.234.3450, or go to GoodSam.com/club
Old 03-17-2022, 09:33 AM   #18

I have never found a need for Good Sam membership. (I think it's a part of the Lemonis Camping World empire now). I never use Flying J or Love's etc. (yes I run diesel), I use Gas Buddy and save way more than any discount those guys offer. I also have found that Camping Worlds "discounted" price is generally 20 to 30% higher than I can buy things on Amazon, or Walmart, or any number of independent RV parts suppliers. I can see using the Roadside service potentially, but having been a mechanic for years, I get myself out of most issues by both prior maintenance, and critical thinking if an issue occurs, and there are plenty of other "roadside options. As far as camping, I am a senior now, but most parks would offer the discounted price anyway. Just my experience, and there is life outside of a GoodSam membership. There are also plenty of free trip planning sites on my computer such as MapQuest, RV park reviews, Yelp and Google Earth can provide distance, and unbiased reviews of potential parks, and provide details pertinent to your visit such as length limitations, and costs, and amenities. JMHO

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:01 AM   #19

As others have said, it depends on your style of camping. We have been Good Sam members for years and every year we spend at least one weeks vacation in a GS park and use their discount. Card has always paid for itself in our case. I've found in many popular vacation areas, where we have camped in the past while raising two daughters, that most campgrounds were around the same price. So we used the GS campground discount and made a significant difference.
We don't often use the fuel discount since their affiliate stations are usually higher priced to start with.
And as far as shopping thru Camping World, I always wait on a very discounted sale on something we may need or want before buying it. And obviously, checking that item is not cheaper somewhere else. If its something needed right away then other places are usually cheaper.
Oh yeh, I'm a "reader", so I enjoy the discounted magazine price.
Just a matter of camping styles and preferences. Happy camping!
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:14 AM   #20

I am done with Good Sam after having to contact their corporate headquarters to be removed from their insistent email lists. Gas Buddy is free, I even got their debit card again for free. We will save more than the annual GS membership on a couple fills from Gas Buddy. Amazon without prime gives me better prices than Camping World and in most cases better quality. In fact even my local RV shop has better prices than Camping World. All that said the CEO of Camping World just donated 15 M to Marquette University for a new library I will get to use. My three year membership was not a total waste.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam