Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
Folks in the campground where we stay continue to be friendly. We stay mostly in state or Fed campgrounds without power or campsite hookups. The few times we stay in RV parks, the folks seem a bit more cliquish. Perhaps the boondockers have a different mindset.
I've noticed how RV park campers are more cliqueish as well. I believe that many times it's because they all reserved spaces for the same time to spend time as a group. Can also occur at places like Quartzsite where reservations arent taken but people still get together as a group.

When out walking or even riding my bike, when I make eye contact I usually wave. Some merely wave back, some will engage in conversation, and some just keep on with what they're doing.

As for dogs, I find them to be outgoing. Most love to greet people they meet while walking with enthusiasm. I let the dog controll the "meeting" and usually end up with one or more leaning against me begging me to keep scratching it's back/rump

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #42

Still friendly as ever

We have been camping on mostly short trips, within 200 miles of home. The folks we encounter still seem to be very friendly. The big difference we notice is that their are a lot more full timers. We find they are gone most days, we figured they were off working. The last few RV parks we stayed in had well over 50% long term folks (flower boxes, outside storage, etc.). Perhaps they get to know their neighbors. I think they may look at us as transient visitors. In addition, I know everyone has seen the cost of the parks go up. Covid has changed everything. We still enjoy getting out but we are staying close to home and the stays are much shorter.
BobinIrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:15 PM   #43

Newbiís

The newer campers seem not to know the etiquette. No waves and walking through campsites.
Mitchell 2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #44

I am friendly even with my bad attitude.I wave I even talk to several people.But I know there just riding there golf carts around the campground to be nosey.I live in the country so when I go camping itís like a taste of living in town.I find it comical to here they love to get out of the hussel and bussel of town and cities and how peaceful it is.
Donbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:47 AM   #45
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell 2020 View Post
The newer campers seem not to know the etiquette. No waves and walking through campsites.
I put up a perimeter fence so my 100 pound Lab doesn't need to be chained up. People think twice before walking through our site. But the fence does continue to garner about 10 inquiries a trip about "where did you get that and how do I get one?" And of course he gets way to much attention from children; which he loves.

Have never had anyone open the gate and come inside without being invited.
Centerline TS WDH
2004 Heritage Softtail Harley Davidson
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #46

We have had the exact opposite experience. We have talked to no less than 3 couples for an hour or more just at our current campground at the Grand Canyon north rim. Maybe itís the area? People here seem so relieved and thankful to be out and camping again. Itís funny because we just commented how many nice people weíve met this trip! Maybe it will change when we get back East, but I hope not!
Jbthrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:40 AM   #47
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbthrone View Post
Maybe it will change when we get back East, but I hope not!
You can't get much more east than where I live. I can talk with anyone and 99% of the time it is pleasant. So I'm not quite sure of what you're impleying?
Centerline TS WDH
Old 09-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
You can't get much more east than where I live. I can talk with anyone and 99% of the time it is pleasant. So I'm not quite sure of what you're impleying?
I didnít mean to imply people arenít nice on the east coast. We live on the east coast in a major metropolitan area. Our experience is that people in our local campgrounds go to get away from people - its not that they arenít nice, just that they want some quiet. We usually never have long conversations with other campers when on our weekend trips close to home. We have found, in our experience, when we get to the Midwest, people become more talkative and friendly. Thatís just our experience.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:22 PM   #49

Maybe if you all lived close to Chicago south side like I do you would avoid people.
Donbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #50

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbren View Post
Maybe if you all lived close to Chicago south side like I do you would avoid people.
agreed! Sometimes you camp for solitude!
AtTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #51

Quote:
Ha! I grew up on the Southside of Chicago. Great sports teams, but Iím only back there for family events.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:30 AM   #52
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbthrone View Post
We have found, in our experience, when we get to the Midwest, people become more talkative and friendly. Thatís just our experience.
I might actually be a person that proves your point. I'm a military transplant to the east originally from the Midwest.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 09-20-2021, 03:31 AM   #53
Defender of America

Quote:
I avoid Chicago all together.
Centerline TS WDH