Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #21

I have been camping for over 60 years with parents, friends, single on a cycle, wife, along came kids, and now just the wife and I again. I will help anyone in need and frequently end up assisting other campers.
We have a great time talking with people if they seem interested, if not, I walk on by.
The one thing I have noticed is that people walk through our campsite more often than before. They don't know campground etiquette.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #22

Have people changed?

We're fairly new to the RV world but we tend to be very friendly and enjoy talking to other campers. We've seen a mixed bag. At one site, the neighbors on one side wouldn't even make eye contact; whereas, those on the other barely got their rig set up when they came over to say "hi."
1983 Wife
koribustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQROOT View Post
Camped this weekend at local campground, and we noticed that campers have seemed to have changed. Not too many smiles, hand waves, no stopping to talk, and just basically keeping away from everyone. Is this the result of the virus? The trip out to NM in June, we did not stay in any one place for more then just a day but the one time we did, the next camper spoke, kind of had to, was in our spot. The virus ruined one year and looks like another one also, but at least we are getting back out and I am going to camp several more times this year.
It’s most likely the virus, people just trying to stay safe. For us personally, we camp to get away and enjoy the outdoors. Even before the virus we kept to ourselves and didn’t socialize with other campers. We always wave and say hello, (and occasionally have a nice brief conversation here or there) but we don’t go looking for conversation, that’s for sure. Especially right now with the virus we would also prefer that people not approach our dogs … people are still real quick to ask if they can pet your dog or have their dog meet yours… and unfortunately right now we have to say “no, because of covid, we’re just trying to stay safe, thanks.”
JAJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottaluvlife View Post
We noticed some difference this past summer at our favorite place in Montauk, Long Island at Hither Hills. There were more rental trailers & the fact NY state opened reservation system last May 2020 for the 2021 season (instead of 9 months) probably allowed some who normally would not have gotten a reservation to book. We made effort to say hi or wave & some responded!! However at another local campground on Long Island, seemed everyone walking by said hello first, which surprised us, and we even had some nice conversations. Think long-islanders are some of the friendliest campers!!
Liked PenJoe's suggestion "break the ice"!!🧊😊If no one says hello to you, say hello to them!!
Camped at smith point past weekend - I say 70/30 in favor of non caring/socializing group which is fine by us. Camped at Cape May week before that and it was the other way around. Was at Harvest Host by Hearsey a month ago and 2 out of 3 other campers that were there were very friendly. I guess it’s really depends, no matter the location. My wife is usually the one’s running for Mayor at our trips.
p.s. wanted to go to Hither Hills too but since we just got a new pup that would be a no go.
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #25

The human connection

It could also be that there are a LOT of campers that are brand new to the travel trailer/camping experience. There’s been a huge jump in sales in the RV industry. Few, if any, of these “newbies” have had the exposure to, what we’ve come to expect as neighborly camping etiquette. Just keep smiling, and engaging, just as people did to you when you first started. Be friendly, helpful, ask questions and pass on tips you’ve learned. Hopefully, just like you and I did, they’ll catch on, and learn how to pass on one of the great aspects of “glam ping”!
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #26

Like so many things these days, it depends. We are full-time RV travellers with a 43' 5th wheel. We've been doing it for 7 years now. Estimate we've been in close to 1000 RV parks in the US and Canada over that time. We have found folks in the western states to be real friendly (esp. AZ, UT, ID, MT, WY, TX), and in most rural areas. We always wave, and say hi, and most folks in these states have no problem with talking and visiting. Elsewhere however, we've had similar reactions to what you've experienced. Never used to be that way. We still wave and say hi, regardless of whether they acknowledge us.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #27

I wave to everyone, especially if they don’t wave first. I was raised that way and not changing it. So, even though I’m new to the RV world, it’s just how I am normally at home so it’ll be the same on the road. I talk to people at the pool, store and just walking around.
LaLaLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:12 PM   #28
D W

Folks are still friendly in my neck of the woods. Lots of new younger folks. Mostly G.I.'s from JBER, but still friendly. Our CG's were never shut down due to the virus. Since the onset of the virus, camping is about the only thing that remained normal.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #29

Yes…Something is Very Wrong!

After years of submitting to infusions (every 8 weeks, year round) of an immunosuppressant drug, which is keeping his immune system from going into overload and preventing it from consuming any more of his vital organs…this is what an autoimmune disease does folks…my husband had to receive daily radiation treatments for six weeks this past winter to deal with a new cancer diagnosis. In case anyone isn’t aware, this makes him more vulnerable than many to bad outcomes from a Covid infection.

He has been thru the wringer and now he cannot attend the simple social functions he used to so enjoy because people won’t get vaccinated, people won’t wear masks and people don’t care that they are taking away his freedoms because contact with anyone of them could kill him and we have no way of knowing who is a spreader.

So, we use our RV to have some sort of a life and to isolate on the road. We wear masks whenever we are outside and anyone approaches.

I beseech you fellow campers, when you see someone in a mask, put one on yourself with full nose and mouth coverage. Please show my husband you understand his fear, please show him you are willing to help protect him for the few minutes you are near each other. Please show him you are willing to help him by the simple act of consciously keeping your distance. This is how you can be friendly to us these days.

He is a really good man; a kind, gentle soul who everyone instantly likes. Please know that he will be thanking you for your consideration, compassion and thoughtfulness by smiling at you under HIS mask.

So, yes there IS something wrong and it is different for each of us.

We hope you all have a safe and happy winter!
Gracie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #30

In a way, I guess I have the opposite problem as the OP. Sometimes fellow campers will come right up to me with no face mask and try to talk right in my face. I want to be friendly, but try to back up and keep my distance. I even had a guy walk up with a mask on, only to remove it when he began talking to me. I try to avoid other campers due to this type of behavior. There are ways we can still socialize in these Covid times, but some people just don’t get it.

I’m good with a friendly wave from a distance, as suggested above.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #31

Thank you for sharing this. I work in health care and many do not realize that just because a person chooses to wear a mask doesn’t mean they aren’t vaccinated. It means they want to protect themselves and their loved ones. I always wear when entering someone’s home for the first time in my business and keep it on as we work with the elderly and chronically ill. I require it of all my staff as well. We must do all we can to protect each other.
LaLaLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:09 PM   #32

Folks in the campground where we stay continue to be friendly. We stay mostly in state or Fed campgrounds without power or campsite hookups. The few times we stay in RV parks, the folks seem a bit more cliquish. Perhaps the boondockers have a different mindset.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:08 PM   #33

People camp differently. My brother in law has to personally know everyone and be "buds" with everyone.

My husband and I go camping for quiet time, away from our customer service jobs, away from the city. Soft music, a cold beverage, a pretty view. If we pass you while walking we will wave but we don't pop into every campsite and socialize. Yes, we do generally find it irritating when you drop into our campsite for 30 minutes to chat while we were very happy self entertaining with soft music, a book, each other and a view.

Some people camp for social interaction some of us are escaping.
AtTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:06 AM   #34
Pyroslinger Geo Pro 2017

Welcome To The New Normal

I am a camp host at a popular RV Resort near Yellowstone. Things have changed forever. Most visitors are nice and friendly. Some new renting, some long timers. Some want no interaction, some do. Eye contact is the key, no eye contact no interaction. Some hate kids, some dont. We have firewood stolen from sites. The world has gone completely crazy. These may very well be the "Good O'l Days". Make the best of if now, because with everyone escaping the crime ridden cities and states with no law enforcement and drug use and broad daylight crime rampant, it will surely become more crowded in RV Parks and Campgrounds with patience, calmness and kindness a thing of the past. It is what it is. Be Kind. Be Calm. Be Cool. Enjoy!
Pyroslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:57 AM   #35

I use to be a people person but people messed that up for me.I keep to my self and I am a equal opportunity person I hate all people equally.I find out going people mostly want to brag or think they know it all and want to make me think they are and athourity on any and all subjects.Now I would possibly like your dog but think your kids are brats.
Donbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:04 AM   #36
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbren View Post
I use to be a people person but people messed that up for me.I keep to my self and I am a equal opportunity person I hate all people equally.I find out going people mostly want to brag or think they know it all and want to make me think they are and athourity on any and all subjects.Now I would possibly like your dog but think your kids are brats.
We must have a different definition of a "people person".
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:46 AM   #37

We tend to keep to ourselves when we arrive, though if someone starts a conversation we will not be rude. One old man started up a conversation while we were setting on Daulphin Island. We were chit chatting for about 10 minutes when his adult daughters baby had a poopy diaper. She took the diaper off the kid, threw it on the ground and washed the kids poop covered butt off at the water spigot. I promptly moved sites after that to the other side.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:53 AM   #38

I think people can be shy in general. It's the rare person that doesn't wave back though. If you want to attract the friendly people, open the hood of your truck, or RV. You'll have half the campground around you in no time, all with a story.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #39
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbren View Post
Oh my,... Save yourself a trip to Alaska. You'd be miserable here
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #40

I dunno. In my 25+ years of camping I have seen a slow change. When wife and I first started out, there was always a honor hello. There would be older more experienced campers next to us always wanting to talk, lend a hand or advice. I have never been a people person but camping there was friendly association and conversation. Now a days, it seems more stand offish, let the kids run around and be brats, or have a giant tailgate party like you are the only ones around not caring about the "neighbors". We were lucky this week having people next to us our own age and mindset, know when to talk and know when private time is.

I hope it gets back to the way it used to be....

Of course, I'd rather be camping
RolnThndrCat is offline   Reply With Quote