Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #1

Is there something wrong?

Camped this weekend at local campground, and we noticed that campers have seemed to have changed. Not too many smiles, hand waves, no stopping to talk, and just basically keeping away from everyone. Is this the result of the virus? The trip out to NM in June, we did not stay in any one place for more then just a day but the one time we did, the next camper spoke, kind of had to, was in our spot. The virus ruined one year and looks like another one also, but at least we are getting back out and I am going to camp several more times this year.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:16 PM   #2

May have been because you weren't there for long!
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
Site Team

I think many are new to RVing or camping. They aren't familiar with what has been and are used to behaving the way you're describing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #4

And we have had the opposite experience. Most seem so happy to just be out and around other folks. And then there are tons of first timers we have assisted. Some asked for assistance and others we helped before we had to call an ambulance
But then my wife calls me the mayor as I make a point to at least say hello to every fellow camper and see how they respond. Some let you know right away to leave them alone, and others become friends immediately.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:34 PM   #5

I find most campers are friendly and say hello and wave, I do make a point to walk around the campground and talk to people and most are very friendly.
mshenygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #6

I asked a long-time campground owner a few weeks back if he had seen a change in campers due to the virus. I figured you'd get a lot of folks who really aren't campers buying the trailers, and who aren't that camper friendly.

He told me he had not really seen that yet. I was glad to hear it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's different depending on where you are.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:22 PM   #7
Site Team

I ride my bicycle around our campgrounds. My wife reminds me to take my cell phone in case I talk to too many campers and don't return to the trailer when she expects me.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:32 PM   #8

camping

Maybe I am not outgoing enough. It was just thought, but I have been wrong before.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:39 AM   #9

Where DH and I camped this past weekend, we had a mix of friendly.. too friendly and those whom were lost in their own world, read distracted like me.. I was exhausted from work and just wanted to be left alone to rest and nap (which I did a lot of)
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:17 AM   #10
Member: Old Man Club

We've been camping for 12 years now and the atmosphere since the advent of COVID is definitely different. Folks seem more cautious and protective of their children in that they don't let them roam very far these days. Seems like the friendliest people are the ones with dogs. A 'good boy' ar a 'cutie' on the leash makes for good starter conversation. Otherwise, it seems like a lot of folks have forgotten how to socialize or just never had that skill in the first place. I see more people camping in groups now with friends and relatives. I'm not saying that is bad. I'm just saying it restricts the opportunies of meeting new people and making more friends. We're good though.

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:20 AM   #11
Mopar Guy

I am not an overly friendly person. I tend to avoid people when possible.

That being said, i always wave and say hi to people. If I am sitting by my fire having a drink feel free to stop by and chat for a few.

Most of the time people stop and want to meet the dogs. I have 2 German shepherds that attract a lot of a attention since one of them is a long coat and looks about a derpy as it gets.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:49 AM   #12

I don’t know, I camp to get away from the BS mindless chit chat of people in my daily life so maybe I’m one of the non-friendly people around? To me COVID has allowed me to be OK with not chatting much. You want a head nod or a friendly wave? Sure, I’ll do that. But that’s it.

Now last year we had a couple driving around stop, barge into our site talking about how great our camper was, how much they wanted one and walked up and opened the front door looking in without asking. COVID or not, that’s not how you conduct yourself. I think people have forgotten how to socialize these past months.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:06 PM   #13

We just finished a 2 plus month trip back to NE and stayed at about a dozen CGs. On the way up and back 2-4 days in NE, 4 at 2 weeks each. I,ve been coming for over 55 yrs... and though I think it has changed or evolved mind you I meet many nice people and a few that seemed to not want to be bothered wh their choice. They might be new to it, folks that like to be left alone and others that are covid safe. All great reasons. Overall meet a lot of great friendly people. Its why I've always love camping. Though I do got to say with the more modern RVs with 10 TVs inside and out. Microwaves, dishwashers, king size sleep number beds, or an AC, you can't blame especially as you retire and get older. My DW and I do. But still like sitting outside smelling the fresh air and campfires. So go enjoy it.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #14

Call it breaking the ice. You have probably been on an elevator with other people and there is no conversation. When the kids were young, I can recall we were riding on an elevator and I made a comment about the coziness. It started a conversation with the passengers and everyone got off with a smile. Our kids inquired as to knowing the people. Nope, never saw them before. I broke the ice. It has rubbed off on the family.

In my career, it was mandatory for me to be able to strike up a conversation to get information. But it has been very effective in everyday life. Take the first step and others will follow. DW wife has probably heard the same lines a thousand times on the elevator, but they will always get results. And, it doesn't have to be on an elevator. Just make it light and friendly.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #15

There are all kinds of campers.

We’ve been camping for nearly 30 years: tent, pop-up, now RVing. We prefer off season and non-holiday weekends to avoid the crowds. We started camping, not for social gangs around a campfire, but for love of the outdoors and escape from the day to day crowds of city and work-a-day obligations.
We always walk around the campground, strike up a conversation if both parties are open to it. We have met some awesome and interesting people in our travels, and hope to continue to do so. We have not noticed any major change in the age of Covid: most campers are respectful, responsible, friendly, helpful, and kind. There are always a few that are cold, some obnoxious and intrusive, but that’s life. Who knows what people say about us? That’s my experience camping mostly in New England. We’ll be expanding our travels soon, and hope it will be the same. I guess there’s always boondocking!
rskiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:54 PM   #16

The big thing I’ve noted is a lot more campers. But that seems over as kids are back in school in most areas.

I mostly boondock so don’t have neighbors nearby. And after 50 + years of RVing I have tools and knowledge on where to go in Idaho and the States that surround us. I stay as far away from cities as possible.

I haven’t noticed any changes in others’ behavior.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:38 PM   #17

I haven't really noticed more unfriendly campers lately than I've encountered over the years before "Covid".

If anything most seem friendlier. On my last trip I encountered a couple that I ended up babysitting their two dogs during a power outage for. They went to play cards with friends while their pups enjoyed the evening with me in my air conditioned trailer with A/C running on generator (temp in the 80's). Never met couple before but when the husband asked if I had power we got to talking and I told him I would start generator and the pups were welcome to hang out with me they brought them over. The next AM as they were leaving the campground I got a bag of homemade peanut butter cookies.

Another camper in the same park brought me a fresh Cinnamon Roll in the morning after I gave them a hand with some "new trailer questions".

Spend a month camping through 8 states and can't recall running into ANY unfriendly campers.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:21 AM   #18
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Call it breaking the ice. You have probably been on an elevator with other people and there is no conversation. When the kids were young, I can recall we were riding on an elevator and I made a comment about the coziness. It started a conversation with the passengers and everyone got off with a smile. Our kids inquired as to knowing the people. Nope, never saw them before. I broke the ice. It has rubbed off on the family.

In my career, it was mandatory for me to be able to strike up a conversation to get information. But it has been very effective in everyday life. Take the first step and others will follow. DW wife has probably heard the same lines a thousand times on the elevator, but they will always get results. And, it doesn't have to be on an elevator. Just make it light and friendly.
From the sounds of it; You and I would be a great team.
My kids and grand kids are amazed that I can talk to anyone, anytime.

But you have to lift their heads up from their phones!!
It's like many want to be someplace other than where they actually are.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:52 AM   #19

We noticed some difference this past summer at our favorite place in Montauk, Long Island at Hither Hills. There were more rental trailers & the fact NY state opened reservation system last May 2020 for the 2021 season (instead of 9 months) probably allowed some who normally would not have gotten a reservation to book. We made effort to say hi or wave & some responded!! However at another local campground on Long Island, seemed everyone walking by said hello first, which surprised us, and we even had some nice conversations. Think long-islanders are some of the friendliest campers!!
Liked PenJoe's suggestion "break the ice"!!🧊😊If no one says hello to you, say hello to them!!
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:18 AM   #20
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Really have not noticed much change but I usually stay a couple of days at one place and peop;e are very friendly. LaterRJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote