Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #1

Is this happening in your local area?

My wife and I decided to drive out to our local corps of engineer lake the other day and were surprised to find that all three campgrounds were full. I have lived here since the seventies and this is the first time I remember all three campgrounds being full. This was just a normal weekend, not a holiday weekend. I am thinking it must be a result of covid 19.

Anyone else noticing an increase in camping activity?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #2

Considering how sales of RVs has jumped, I think this may be the new normal. People don't trust planes or motels for travel, Sooooo!
Old 06-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #3

Everywhere around is us is booked out several months, especially federal campgrounds. It is worse this year than last but I believe people are finding camping a cheap vacation and fun also.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #4

WI state park campgrounds opened last Wednesday. We live within 10 minutes from 2 and frequently walk the dog in both and they have been full since they opened.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #5

we were camping this weekend at a state park (Maryland)- the electric sites were all booked, the non-electric sites were pretty open. This is the second time we have been to this park - same time of year and it was this way last year - so no real difference. Here, you always need to book early if you need/want electric hookup.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #6

Our local state park has always been full on the weekends since they upgraded the whole park to full hook ups but this year even week nights are hard to get.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #7

The state park closest to me has about 250 camp sites. It’s often busy on weekends but usually only full on holiday weekends. Well, the campgrounds reopened here in June, and the campground was full last weekend. People are everywhere. The lake was full of boats. It was insane.

We said “forget that”. Instead, we stay at our quiet rural home with nobody around and make campfires in our backyard.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #8

We've found that camping in the last 2 seasons has become really hard to come by. If you have the ability to book 3-4 weeks out, you can usually find a spot, but they're sparse. If you want to just pack up and drive to the lake on a Friday evening and get a spot, you're SOL. I'm afraid those days are gone. I remember my parent's almost never making a reservation when I was a kid, so a LOT has changed in 20 - 25 years around here, but it's really busy lately.

I'm not sure if it's COVID causing this issue, or the fact that most campgrounds were flooded out so bad last year that nobody got the opportunity to camp very often, or that a lot of those spots that were flooded last year, are still unavailable due to needing repairs. It's probably a mix of all of those things.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Considering how sales of RVs has jumped, I think this may be the new normal. People don't trust planes or motels for travel, Sooooo!
The problem is that campground capacity was often limited in the past. If camping activity surges, finding a campsite will be difficult. New campgrounds or parks are not likely to open anytime soon to fill this need. Soon it may be hard to find a spot overnight at Walmart.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
Site Team

This has been happening out West, since the boom in RV sales started 4 or 5 years ago.
Now you have to make reservations for off season sites.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #11

Local County Park opened yesterday. Suffolk County, NY. 200 campsites, only 3 were taken. Kind of nice to have the place to yourself.
the raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #12
ARLO

We don't use federal or state campgrounds but are finding to a lesser extent that it is getting harder to book.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #13

Full camp

we stayed at a Corp of Engineers site last week and it was full all 5 days. Usually weekdays were empty.
PatP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #14

Recently in Southern California, I have met quite a few people whose home now have wheels. These are the "new brick and mortar" homeless. These are folks that can no longer afford to own a home/condo/townhouse but can buy a used 30 footer and join something like Thousand Trails. Payments for both are 1/4 to 1/10 what a townhouse/condo was costing them. Even at $1,200 a year membership, that beats paying monthly rent or mortgage. Campsite usually include water, sewerage, electric and most free wi-fi. That's a deal. No property taxes, which are very high here. They stay for 30 days, move out, then come back. They partner with a friend whose doing the same thing and exchange sites. Our problem now is almost all the campgrounds are full all the time.
I was surprised at how many folks were doing this.
fishinpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:39 PM   #15

Open spots here in Hot Springs SD, weekday. Full on weekend (as usual). Been the same all the way from IL. Scored a spot 10-12 miles east of Yellowstone for July. NEVER happens this late! Full-time and I would say same as usual or lighter. (Just my opinion.! So relax) Does anyone have anything that corroborates RV Association saying RV's are "flying of the shelves". The lots seem full and not sure I trust any rv salespersons or industry folks(again only an opinion, use your own eyes).
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #16

I talked to a couple that had work done on theirs and remarked how empty the lot was. They were told that 110 units were sold that month. This was in May.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpole View Post
Recently in Southern California, I have met quite a few people whose home now have wheels. These are the "new brick and mortar" homeless. These are folks that can no longer afford to own a home/condo/townhouse but can buy a used 30 footer and join something like Thousand Trails. Payments for both are 1/4 to 1/10 what a townhouse/condo was costing them. Even at $1,200 a year membership, that beats paying monthly rent or mortgage. Campsite usually include water, sewerage, electric and most free wi-fi. That's a deal. No property taxes, which are very high here. They stay for 30 days, move out, then come back. They partner with a friend whose doing the same thing and exchange sites. Our problem now is almost all the campgrounds are full all the time.
I was surprised at how many folks were doing this.
Yep, we've also seen this increase, especially young families. Off season used to be just retirees but now more and more are fulltiming.
One of our favorite parks in Palm Springs area, that was 55+ only, has dropped that policy and is allowing all ages because of the increase in young families fulltiming.
Needless to say, we won't go back.
We're fine with camping at public campgrounds with young families around. But I'm not going to pay more for a private RV park site, for the same thing. This is why we'll never stay at a KOA.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #18

Its because people aren't flying places. I have a vacation rental up in Lake Tahoe. After a few cancellations early on due to a family with elderly family members having to cancel their travels, I booked my entire summer solid until mid September. I have never had that happen before.

Will see if this continues to 2021.

We have had no problems getting reservations for camping this year in California but we drycamp exclusively. My bet is a lot of the newer campers are not willing to dry camp.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #19

Same here (Oregon), everything all full. Luckily, I have reservations at state parks for every other weekend through September.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
Open spots here in Hot Springs SD, weekday. Full on weekend (as usual). Been the same all the way from IL. Scored a spot 10-12 miles east of Yellowstone for July. NEVER happens this late! Full-time and I would say same as usual or lighter. (Just my opinion.! So relax) Does anyone have anything that corroborates RV Association saying RV's are "flying of the shelves". The lots seem full and not sure I trust any rv salespersons or industry folks(again only an opinion, use your own eyes).

I saw on news and then did quick check appears to be correct easy for anyone to look up.