Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #1

It Just Has To Be True!

Some of the things I read on the Internet just leave me shaking my head in utter disbelief. It seems that with all the power to research the truth people are more apt to believe the absurd. For instance, the belief that somehow you can blow up a gas station by using a cell phone at the pumps. After Myth Busters proved it couldn't be done the signs at the pumps started to disappear. I only see them at maybe one in ten stations I stop at now.

Tonight on another forum a guy is convinced that if his tires wear un-evelnly on his 4-wheel drive Jeep Cherokee that it will destroy the gearing in the differentials.

I also see so many times where guys are sure that storing a battery on concrete will kill it. This has been handed down through the generations and I believed it myself until I did some research. Seems it USED to be true but with modern manufacturing practices in batteries it isn't anymore.

So does anyone else here know of something that is "common knowledge" that really is just a myth? Or something that just makes you shake your head?
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Kind of goes along with people believing the "MAX TOW CAPACITY" of their tow vehicle. They fail to realize that is for the vehicle and driver only. Gotta leave the wife, kids, dog, bicycles, canoes, coolers, and everything else at home, and yes, even the adult beverage. Guess you could do what some bikers do, ship your stuff UPS to the campground so it is there when you arrive, then ship it home when you leave. Gotta tell you though, the wife won't be happy about that.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

How about the myth that all government programs are from someone else's money? That one seems to be believed by an awful lot of people!
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
How about the myth that all government programs are from someone else's money? That one seems to be believed by an awful lot of people!
Oh how true! But for those that don't work for a living the money is someone else's.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

This stuff often won't die because well-meaning people float it out there and infect more people with it. My favorite is the battery on cement deal that Jeeper mentioned. That had some merit about a century ago but not today.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #6

NWJeeper wrote;

Quote:
Tonight on another forum a guy is convinced that if his tires wear un-evelnly on his 4-wheel drive Jeep Cherokee that it will destroy the gearing in the differentials.
This is true! I used to work at a Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealer and have seen this first hand. I`m not talking feathering either. if the tires have worn to the point the circumference has changed it could destroy the transfer case and or the limited slip or VariLock diffs. this is only an issue on fulltime 4WD systems (QuadraDrive/SelecTrac). I`ve even had to replace a viscous clutch on an all wheel drive minivan because the owner had 2 different types (same size) tires on his van. what I did was I move the tires on one side so as to give the effect of each axle having the same tire diameter.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #7

So not everything I read on wikipedia is true????

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #8

Here is a site where you can look up "urban legends" to see if they have any basis in fact. http://www.snopes.com/snopes.asp

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote