Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
Lottery Non-Winner

It just keeps getting better and better

My brother just took possession of his Georgetown 373 last weekend. He had it parked near the house, but the bad weather that moved through the central part of the U.S. prompted him to put the RV in the barn for safety. But wait. It gets better.

While driving it into the barn, he and his wife realized it was just inches too tall. Small problem, but he has a solution. Pull the RV out, get the excavator and dig out the floor of the barn. Problem solved. But wait. It gets better.

The RV is safely parked snugly in the garage. Now, normally, his barn doesn't flood, but all the rain that went through caused a bit of flooding. Previously, it would have just run through the barn, but now that he'd dug the floor out, it is a low point. Water seeks a low point. But wait. It gets better.

Following the rain was a cold front which brought freezing temps. The barn is not heated. The water froze. Unlike many substances, water doesn't contract when frozen. It expands. The freezing has caused just enough expansion that the RV is now too tall to be removed from the barn. It's trapped until it can be thawed. But wait. It gets better.

... he and his wife are both engineers. True story!

They should be joining this forum soon. When they do, won't you all give them a nice warm welcome?

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

Sounds like the guy who skillfully built the mahogoney laminate kayak in his basement workshop, then had to excavate a wall and install a Bilco door to get it out!

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

That is the best telling of a sad story I've heard in a while.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Lottery Non-Winner

It's thawed out now and with several scoops of gravel under the tires he was able to get it out of the barn. Now he's talking about a building a shelter specifically for the RV. Sounds like a good idea.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote