Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #1

It’s Back! The Secure-Fill Fresh Water Tank Filler

I bought one of these several years ago when it was made by SNL Products. For some reason they became unavailable for years after I bought mine, but you could find them here and there for $80-$100.

This is the absolute best filler for gravity-fill fresh water tanks. I just thought I’d share.

https://www.amazon.com/VALTERRA-LLC-.../dp/B07JDZMC82

Here’s a video:

https://youtu.be/9HcjtK_k7Qs

Bruce
Old 07-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #2

I don’t get it. You can build one exactly like that with 3 parts from Home Depot for $7
Old 07-19-2020, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
I don’t get it. You can build one exactly like that with 3 parts from Home Depot for $7
Show me and I will believe you.

Bruce
Old 07-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #4

The difference between it and the cheap hose device it's contrasted with in the video is that it incorporates a fresh water filler cap, drilled to allow the hose to pass through it and to allow venting.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
The difference between it and the cheap hose device it's contrasted with in the video is that it incorporates a fresh water filler cap, drilled to allow the hose to pass through it and to allow venting.
Exactly. And you can turn your hose on full blast to fill the tank in no time with no splash-back. I know this because I have owned one for years.

Bruce
Old 07-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Exactly. And you can turn your hose on full blast to fill the tank in no time with no splash-back. I know this because I have owned one for years.

Bruce
I believe those caps are available at Home Depot, as are the other parts. Maybe 4 parts, instead of 3?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:24 AM   #7

Still waiting on that list of parts from Home Depot...

Bruce
Old 07-20-2020, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Still waiting on that list of parts from Home Depot...

Bruce
It’s not rocket science. I think if you want to make it yourself you can do the legwork yourself. It’s 4 parts I think you can find them all on your own.
Toddupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
It’s not rocket science. I think if you want to make it yourself you can do the legwork yourself. It’s 4 parts I think you can find them all on your own.
You don't get paying for convenience? You can build most things on your own if you're willing to find and buy individual parts and put them together. Sometimes it's worth it to just buy one instead of searching for the parts to make one yourself.

And I've noticed that you've taken the time to criticize the OP for posting about this item, made claims that it can be built for $7, yet won't take the time to back up your claim, and now tell him that he can look it up if he wants to build one. Clearly he doesn't. You seem to be the only one who wanted to build one. Poor form.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #10

I Bought the Camco one from Amazon for $7.54

https://tinyurl.com/yyhvtxw2

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
I think that he is doubting the veracity of your claim and is asking you to back it up.

I believed you and was curious what collection of parts you were talking about. I am now in the doubting camp. I ordered the demonstrably workable product the OP cited.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #12

I see one advantage to this device versus the standard $8 plastic Camco freshwater fill valve/tube. The $20 device actually fastens onto the fill connector, whereas you have to stand there and hold the $8 Camco tube in the fill connection. The Secure-Fill Fresh Water Tank Filler claims to reduce back pressure by venting through the fill connection itself. Well, that's a bit of false advertising because all fresh water tanks must have a separate vent off tank itself that is always open to prevent pressurization during tank filling as well as preventing drawing a vacuum in the tank when the fill connection is capped.

I agree, it's not rocket science, but it's only $15 more than the alternative, so not a wallet buster either.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Bruce
You guys can argue about the parts needed to build one all you want but BE CAREFUL with the statement I emboldened.

Filling your tank FULL BLAST is a recommendation I NEVER MAKE TO ANYONE.

Every vent hose is different, every overflow hose is different, every fill port hose is different and I've see too many tanks bulge and bend the mounting straps or bust the floor upwards from filling the tank faster than it would vent. YES... bust the floor!

I'm not saying the screw on cap device is a bad idea... I'm simply stating that telling folks to fill THEIR tanks full blast is unless they know whether THEY can is bad advice.

I've never seen the need to fill any of my tanks in a hurry whether at home or at a potable water source. 10-15 minutes of slower filling whilst I'm doing other things to get ready to move is good enough for me.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #14

I have to agree with not filling the tank full blast unless you know for sure the rate of flow of water going into the tank. People use water pressure regulators on their city water connections to prevent over pressurizing the plumbing in the RV. The same care should be taken not to over pressurize the FW tank when filling. To me the advertised device would increase the chances of over pressurizing the fresh water tank. Just be careful using it.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #15

I just use an old washing machine hose and a hose shut off fitting. Put the shut off on the end of the garden hose, add the washing machine hose that I cut in half, stick it in the fill hole. It stays in by itself. I can regulate how fast I put water in with the shut off. Works for me, and only a couple bucks.
jboczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #16

I don't get it...

I've got the Valterra tank filler, and I can't see any advantage to the one referenced by the OP...

I just slip my Valterra filler in the port, and let it go until the tank is full.... it self vents, doesn't fall out of the port, and if it runs over, there is plenty of room for the water to exit so the tank does not pressurize. I don't have to hold mine or babysit it in any way. We have 80psi water here at the house... mine doesn't come out of the port.

Looks like another solution looking for a problem to me. But hey, if they can sell some more power to them...

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
You don't get paying for convenience? You can build most things on your own if you're willing to find and buy individual parts and put them together. Sometimes it's worth it to just buy one instead of searching for the parts to make one yourself.

And I've noticed that you've taken the time to criticize the OP for posting about this item, made claims that it can be built for $7, yet won't take the time to back up your claim, and now tell him that he can look it up if he wants to build one. Clearly he doesn't. You seem to be the only one who wanted to build one. Poor form.
Ditto
Jonallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #18

and one of these let me know how many gallons I put in a tank.

When moving I want minimum water to save weight, reading gallons of water added to tank helps.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:37 PM   #19

Why not let him buy it it's his money to each is own....
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #20

Never a Problem as Long as Vent Line is Clear

I had issues in the past using the cheap filling shut off unit. Always had water backing up and out of the fill line. Finally decided to remove some interior paneling to see what was going on. First of all the fill hose drooped in the middle, so I tied that up with a cable tie. Second the vent hose came off the top of the tank and then went to the floor before going to the vent port on the fill fitting, and would get water trapped in it and would not allow venting. I shortened that and tied it up so it was always above the water tank. Have not had a problem since, I can full flow into the tank and it doesn't back up until its full. Check you vent lines folks!
Testcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank