Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #61

Whatever it is that you are towing you have to get yourself a 350/3500 1 ton tow vehicle "just to be safe" (just to be sure) or else you are going to go spinning off the highway in a huge fireball.

I am a bit confused. Are you saying this is a good tow system or a bad one? I have a Forest River Lexington GTS 25 foot and tow a Jeep Cherokee. I am looking for a brake system and had looked at this system. So not sure whether it is a good one or a bad one for my purpose.
Nan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #62

You have to cross your safety chains... Don't twist the chains to make them shorter.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #63

It's a ticking TIME BOMB!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
You have to cross your safety chains... Don't twist the chains to make them shorter.

Mmmm. I was recently out of town and needed a trailer. I went to uhaul and rented it. The check out man was hooking up for me as a requirement. He must have put 8 or 10 turns on the chains to shorten. Obviously that’s how he was taught. I was like.... mmmmm. It was about a 10 foot aluminum trailer you could almost pick up with looked like 5/16 chains. No worries, but not good practice.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:13 AM   #64

I know they're repeats, but the weight limit sky is falling people crack me up. Especially on YouTube with BigTruckBigRV. I love JD's reviews and installations. I love the channel. But my wife and I have taken to looking at the RV he's reviewing and guessing the TV needed. Hmm. 17' feather light? F-250 with helper springs added. 45' 5th wheel toy hauler. Giant Earth mover. I tow a 37' 5th wheel toy hauler. Loaded weight 16,800. Trailer max weight. 17,000. TV capacity (2019 Chevy 3500 Diesel) 17,100. Worries. Zero.

The other one is the "This brand is crap" threads. Every modern truck is a quality machine. Anyone who tells you different is just biased. I've had nothing but problems with my Fords, but I blame that on dealer incompetence in being able to repair it correctly. My Nissan Titan that I towed a 9,000lb (loaded weight) bumper pull toy hauler was the best truck I ever had and gave me zero problems and towed my bumper pull from PA to surges and back without a single issue. But ask anyone and they'll tell you that you can't pull with a Jap truck (even though the Titan is American Made). I got a great deal on the Chevy and was out of Ford dealers I trusted. Ram couldn't match the Chevy deal so when I went to get the 1 ton diesel to tow I bought a Chevy. Happy as could be with it.

But those Ford 6.0s.... You gotta bullet proof it before you turn it on. It's gonna blow you know.
__________________________________________________ __
Days Camped: 2020 - still counting!; 2019 - 77; 2018 - 38; 2017 - 28, 2016 - 35; 2015 - 27; 2014 - 16
JCCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan2 View Post

I am a bit confused. Are you saying this is a good tow system or a bad one? I have a Forest River Lexington GTS 25 foot and tow a Jeep Cherokee. I am looking for a brake system and had looked at this system. So not sure whether it is a good one or a bad one for my purpose.
Now I'm confused. You are referring to a motorhome towing a vehicle and I was referring to the tow vehicle being used to tow a trailer. Many people live by the mantra of bigger is better and potentially safer. Sure a 1 ton rated pickup will tow a 24ft trailer amazingly but a 1/2 ton truck will too as long as it meets the payload an weight requirements. Understand your tools (trucks) and what they can do.

So, make sure your Lexington can tow a Jeep Cherokee. I'm sure it can, as vehicles in general aren't as heavy as larger trailers but, the key here is don't take my word for it. Study up. The best thing you can take from these forums is how to find the information you need and learn it yourself.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #66

recommend

i recomend saloun tires...love them great ride
Old 10-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
Whatever it is that you are towing you have to get yourself a 350/3500 1 ton tow vehicle "just to be safe" (just to be sure) or else you are going to go spinning off the highway in a huge fireball.
I'm late to the party but that 350/3500 you mention must be a diesel and a dually. So I bought a F550. Worked fine.
MikeMck54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #68
Can you run 3800 fps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Using X-chocks as - gasp - chocks! I've been waiting 30 years for mine to fail and kill us all, despite the lawyer warnings.

X2...Best Chocks ever made!

Camping together for 48 years!
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #69

tire bombs

I luv all of the 'tire bomb' warnings.
I 40 plus years and 5 trailers I have had 1 (ONE) tire issue! I hit a pothole and bent the axle and blew the tire.....I guess tht I was too stupid to not know that that was the fault of the China Bomb tire!!!
Get a life folks!
Thanks for heading my rant
Old 10-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #70

My favorite this time of year: When the outside temp hits 32 degrees, everything will instantly freeze solid.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #71
Site Team

Not sure I would consider it a time bomb, but we did use to have some misinformation spread fairly frequently on the forums about 20 pound propane cylinders and you could never fill them past 16 pounds of propane due to the OPD in them.

It happened enough that we went ahead and made a FAQ thread to hopefully solve that misinformation. It still happens every now and again but not nearly like it used to, so hopefully the word has gotten out.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ng-133760.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #72

My ticking time bomb
Toyota Corolla Air Bags. Dealer stated the replacement part 9 months lead time.
The recall stated just don’t use passenger seat!
Called Toyota customer service. Explained I could not use my car as intended. Toyota gave me a Camry loaner for 7 months. Parts came 2 months early. Easy Peasy
okie dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #73

The Forest River A-frame roof lift motors. It is in fact a design bound to fail due to water/dirt intrusion into the top of the motor unit where the shaft extends/retracts. Not a "time bomb" to most owners, although the stock roof install comes down rather fast when the lift motor is removed with the roof in the up position.

Forest River has made attempts fix which have not succeeded. Forum members have been working on a fix for the past several years, and have come with mighty fine ideas that are still in evaluation. Best fix to date appears to be installing gas struts on the rear roof to assist, and ditching the electric lift completely.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Not sure I would consider it a time bomb, but we did use to have some misinformation spread fairly frequently on the forums about 20 pound propane cylinders and you could never fill them past 16 pounds of propane due to the OPD in them.

It happened enough that we went ahead and made a FAQ thread to hopefully solve that misinformation. It still happens every now and again but not nearly like it used to, so hopefully the word has gotten out.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ng-133760.html
I hate those exchange places. I think that at one point it was 17 pounds, then 16 and now 15.

I’ve started going u-haul, the only place around me where they fill the tanks to what they should be filled to, and you only pay for what you need. It’s nice to just top off the tanks when needed.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #75
Site Team

Yep, I towed boats, cargo trailers and utility trailers all over the place since 1973. Never a flat. Then bought a jayco tt with maxxis tires, no problem for 5 years. Then in 2010 bought a wildcat 5er with Trail Express tires LRE, 3 blowouts in first 3000 miles. $5000 in damages. Replaced all 4 with carlisles, no more problem. Then a rockwood 5er with Trail Express tires, blowout at 3000 miles. Replaced all with goodyear marathons. No more problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark View Post
I luv all of the 'tire bomb' warnings.
I 40 plus years and 5 trailers I have had 1 (ONE) tire issue! I hit a pothole and bent the axle and blew the tire.....I guess tht I was too stupid to not know that that was the fault of the China Bomb tire!!!
Get a life folks!
Thanks for heading my rant

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:11 AM   #76

Costco does the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
I hate those exchange places. I think that at one point it was 17 pounds, then 16 and now 15.

I’ve started going u-haul, the only place around me where they fill the tanks to what they should be filled to, and you only pay for what you need. It’s nice to just top off the tanks when needed.
Le Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote