Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
They all explode at 66 mph.
That's Funny

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #42
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I’m pretty sure he meant 500... they did make 400s, but I think they were all 2cycle. I have been out of the ATV deal for many years.
Well, there is a 400 HO ranger. And it is a 4 stroke.

https://www.atv.com/specs/polaris/ut...r-reg/400.html

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #43

Ok Rant at me. Every 6.0L Ford Powerstroke has to be Bulletproofed. 171,000 on mine and still going strong. It is all in how you care for them.

China Bombs, lost 3 on one trip, fortunately TPMS caught them going down. Tires were 3 years old.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Well, there is a 400 HO ranger. And it is a 4 stroke.

https://www.atv.com/specs/polaris/ut...r-reg/400.html

Tim

I stand corrected. As I lightly stated I have been out of that since the late 90s.....dang I’m old.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:23 PM   #45

Quote:
There's been a lot of talk about China Bombs lately, and that got me thinking...

In EVERY SINGLE forum I have been on for various things I own or have owned, there is always one thing that stands out as the "ticking time bomb" that people advocate needs to be dealt with immediately.

For my Polaris General it was the "turf mode"
For my 6.5 GM Diesel it was the "Pump Driver Module"
For my Coleman PUP it was "Roof Delamination"
For my 7.3 Ford Diesel it was "Crank Position Sensor"
For my Rockwood camper it was "China Bombs"
For my GMC Terrain it was "Auto Stop feature"
For my Ram Diesel it the "DEF system"
For the wifes Buick Cascada its "Non-Europe ECM programming"
For my sons Mazda 626 it was "Timing belt idlers"
and on and on and on.

And the funny thing is, not once (except for the 626) did I get bit by any of those supposed time-bombs that would ruin my very existence.

It was so bad with the Polaris 'turf mode' thing that when ever anyone came on the board with a "hi, I'm new here" they were immediately set on by 5-6 guy telling them they HAD to remove the turf mode or else they were in for big repair bills. It really turned a lot of guys off to that board, and that machine.

Anyone know of any other things where people are convinced there is something like a ticking bomb in it that has to be changed or else?

Tim
My 7.3 has 135K, its on its 3rd cps . I carry a spare in the glove box.

2017 SCSB F-250 6.2L
2000 F-350 dually 7.3L
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:40 PM   #46

Reads like there are a few overloaded 150/1500 owners posting. 🤗
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #47

China Bomb proof- 500 miles

Quote:
There's been a lot of talk about China Bombs lately, and that got me thinking...

In EVERY SINGLE forum I have been on for various things I own or have owned, there is always one thing that stands out as the "ticking time bomb" that people advocate needs to be dealt with immediately.

For my Polaris General it was the "turf mode"
For my 6.5 GM Diesel it was the "Pump Driver Module"
For my Coleman PUP it was "Roof Delamination"
For my 7.3 Ford Diesel it was "Crank Position Sensor"
For my Rockwood camper it was "China Bombs"
For my GMC Terrain it was "Auto Stop feature"
For my Ram Diesel it the "DEF system"
For the wifes Buick Cascada its "Non-Europe ECM programming"
For my sons Mazda 626 it was "Timing belt idlers"
and on and on and on.

And the funny thing is, not once (except for the 626) did I get bit by any of those supposed time-bombs that would ruin my very existence.

It was so bad with the Polaris 'turf mode' thing that when ever anyone came on the board with a "hi, I'm new here" they were immediately set on by 5-6 guy telling them they HAD to remove the turf mode or else they were in for big repair bills. It really turned a lot of guys off to that board, and that machine.

Anyone know of any other things where people are convinced there is something like a ticking bomb in it that has to be changed or else?

Tim
. Here is proof if it is an issue. Scared me and I anit scared of nothing! 3 out of 4 tires, less than 500 miles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F5285EC-FE74-429B-95EF-1D40B7FD48D7.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	447.2 KB
ID:	235558   Click image for larger version

Name:	75345899-1C73-4F61-BB7B-AFDEF63E0CA8.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	235559  
NavyVet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #48

China Bombs

I’m still rocking my China Bombs on my TT and haven’t had any issues in 10,000+ miles. I check air pressure each trip and have had the tires rotated, and keep a spare handy plus roadside assistance.

I watched a friend have his tread separate on the middle treads while leaving a campground on his brand new toy hauler. Im pretty sure it was because his xchocks were super tight and he didn’t remove them while he tried to lower the tounge about 18 inches on to his hitch.

I’m not saying that there are not people with legitimate issues, there is a percentage of manufacturing defects in everything.

But a lot of environmental factors are in play

Air pressure
Weight
How long the trailer sits. Did it sit at the dealer for a year with low pressure before you bought it?
Weather....do you live in the desert?

I bought my trailer in 2018, and the DOT date on the tires is from 2016. I will probably change them by 2022 even if the tread isn’t gone just because I don’t like to roll on tires over 5 years old.
Aaron1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #49

Live in Texas. Date code valid. Not here to argue, but it does happen - a lot!!! Plenty of people get by as well ( my cousin is one) but all of the major tire dealers know exactly what you are referring to when you mention China Bombs...
NavyVet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc102bob View Post
The one I got burned on is the "Don't buy a first model year vehicle". Back in 2003 we needed a new family vehicle and I found a one year old Buick Rendezvous (first model year) for a decent price. That thing ended up putting my mechanic's kid through college! I never had one repair that was exceptionally expensive, but things just kept breaking on a regular basis. I kept putting up with it because we actually liked using the vehicle due to comfort and drive-ability, etc., but certainly got sick of fixing it. Eventually it developed a "clunk" that the mechanic told us would cost more to fix than what the car was worth, so I dumped it.

Some years later I saw the Consumers Reports annual auto reliability issue and they ranked the first year Rendezvous as "baaad", but the rest of the model years got much better marks.

I apparently am a slow learner because when I sold the Rendezvous I ended up buying a used Toyota Venza that was a first model year vehicle. While it hasn't been nearly as bad as the Buick, I have had to put some money into the engine for stupid stuff like leaking seals. I don't think the engine was new for the Venza, so I don't think I can blame first model year problems on that.
You must have got a lemon with the Rendezvous. I had three of them. One of the best SUV (before they were called that) I've ever owned. As bad as the counterpart Pontiac Aztek was the Rendezous is just the opposite. When GM ended both vehicles the Buick dealers were upset. It was big seller for Buick.
wzpsjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
X2.....And your best bet is to buy a 1 ton diesel dually so if you decide to upgrade to a 42' toy hauler from your Geo Pro in six months that your towing with 1/2 ton gas truck with a meager 1,500 lb payload
F-150s are magic. They can tow anything. Magic I tell ya!
And don’t forget Tundras while you’re at it. They can tow a space shuttle! :-)
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #52

6.0 ford

OK can anybody say that’s not true with a 6.0 Ford, Ford ended up buying mine back because there’s so many problems in that vehicle
graystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #53
Triglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
That's Funny
66.157 to be exact !!!:ro flblack:
TriGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #54

Chevy trucks don't last, over 250k on the last 3 and still going, brother has 400k on a 4.3 S10, go figure?
6.0 Ford, yep best friend paid almost $8 grand to fix his.
Don't get me started on the junk china bombs
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:27 AM   #55

How To Induce Buyer’s Remorse

I always say, if you want to feel bad about something you just bought, jump on the Internet and re-read all the reviews. They will confirm every worry.
EyeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #56
Site Team

Been there. Trail Express tires. Inside belt separation on all 4 less than 3000 miles. First 2 blowouts were less than 1000 miles. Towed that fifth wheel the same way, at the same speeds, to the same places as I did my 3 other RVs. Never had a flat with Carlisle's, Goodyear marathons or maxxis. Had 2 blowouts in third RV, a fiver, which also came with trailer express. When I replaced all tires that hadn't blown, they were all oval shaped with dips and swells in the treads and sidewalls. Trash. And for the guy who was surprised that Carlisles were made in China, most st tires are. "China Bombs" is not a term for all tires made in China. It refers to those brands with known failure issues. And not everyone will experience it. Like I, having owned 3 Toyotas, have never experienced the stuck gas pedal that plagued the manufacturer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet58 View Post
. Here is proof if it is an issue. Scared me and I anit scared of nothing! 3 out of 4 tires, less than 500 miles

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:21 AM   #57
Site Team

I agree with your environmental conditions. But some tires can stand the extremes better than others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1121 View Post
I’m still rocking my China Bombs on my TT and haven’t had any issues in 10,000+ miles. I check air pressure each trip and have had the tires rotated, and keep a spare handy plus roadside assistance.

I watched a friend have his tread separate on the middle treads while leaving a campground on his brand new toy hauler. Im pretty sure it was because his xchocks were super tight and he didn’t remove them while he tried to lower the tounge about 18 inches on to his hitch.

I’m not saying that there are not people with legitimate issues, there is a percentage of manufacturing defects in everything.

But a lot of environmental factors are in play

Air pressure
Weight
How long the trailer sits. Did it sit at the dealer for a year with low pressure before you bought it?
Weather....do you live in the desert?

I bought my trailer in 2018, and the DOT date on the tires is from 2016. I will probably change them by 2022 even if the tread isn’t gone just because I don’t like to roll on tires over 5 years old.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #58

Quote:
Huh... I never even knew Polaris MADE a 400 ranger... Much less as soon as 2011. I though it was 150 (kids) and then the 570. Looking into it, they make a 500 now too.

Tim
Late reply.....we love it. only two seater....3 if one is small, but has the dump box, 3 diff modes. 1: Single wheel drive (Turf mode) 2: 2 wheel drive and 3: 4 wheel drive.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #59

Not all time bombs are created equal

I think all of us have had dire warnings we have heard about products and places. Often, these warnings have the status of "Everyone knows" yet personal experiences vary greatly and are often a poor source of information for decision making. For example, I just replaced a garbage disposal. Depending on which review, it was going to be very noisy or pretty quiet. It's pretty quiet.

There is also a trend to dismiss any information, regardless of source, when it conflicts with what is desired. Like truck weight limits or inflation pressures. Now, it is a fact that they are conservative - they have to be because some knothead is going to be unaware.

Oddly, the manufacturers did not just pull these numbers out of the air. It's like a lot of safety things. You get away with it 100 times but it's time 101 that bites ya in the butt. Don't just dismiss numbers because someone on the internet tells ya they don't matter.
Eidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #60

Absolutely!! Just did that with my new phone purchase.
Eidolon is offline   Reply With Quote