Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #21

We usually never camp on holiday weekends either, just too many people at the beaches and around the playgrounds at the CG for us. But we do have reservations for Labor Day this year, I was able to get a couple lake side sites that have a "private" beach. If it wasn't for the fact that I got the sites I did we wouldn't be going then either.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
me neither too many vehicles and the interstate is stop and go for miles and miles
I used to feel that way too. Still don't go far, but we have a local county owned park just 10 miles away with a great RV campground, and found one of last 2 sites for the weekend. Yes, it was crowded with families with their young children, but I enjoy watching them have a good time. Our park (Hagan-Stone in Pleasant Garden NC) is almost 500 acres of trails, lakes, play areas, and is priced right. Elec & water, dump stations. Camping is camping, wherever it may be!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
We usually do camp on Holiday weekends, and do have to agree the campsites can be over crowded during the actual holiday weekend, but we usually extend the stay for a couple of extra days. It is amazing how quite the campground is once the holiday campers go home.
We do the same we usually arrive a day early and leave a day later if we can. It is so nice to be able to back into your site without it being crowded and leave and use the dump station without having to wait 2 hours.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKyle View Post
send that rain up here to the Texas Panhandle. we could use it! as for out camping...we go when we can....kinda like Nike's motto.....just do it.
Preparing to pack up this morning to head home. Wish we could send some of this wet stuff up there to you; still overcast and light showers, but we know better than to complain about rain. We'll take all we can get and a wet weekend camping is better than a sunny wekend at home any day!
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #25

rock on brother. we're about to pack up and head back home also. gotta tend to my lovely wife's garden. it's been fun. just me and her all weekend. kids are about grown up and out of the house....so....i'm starting to "date" my wife again and get to know her all over. sounds sappy I know, but the rat race of life has been killing us lately. in a few years, retirement will be great! take care and have fun. be careful going home.
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKyle View Post
rock on brother. we're about to pack up and head back home also. gotta tend to my lovely wife's garden. it's been fun. just me and her all weekend. kids are about grown up and out of the house....so....i'm starting to "date" my wife again and get to know her all over. sounds sappy I know, but the rat race of life has been killing us lately. in a few years, retirement will be great! take care and have fun. be careful going home.
Nothing wrong with dating the wife. DW and I have been dating for more than 40 years and we enjoy the heck out of our time together now that we're all grown up and retired...

Coffee break is over; time to hitch up...

Safe travels; if you make it down to the hill country, give a shout...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #27

10-4
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
I used to feel that way too. Still don't go far, but we have a local county owned park just 10 miles away with a great RV campground, and found one of last 2 sites for the weekend. Yes, it was crowded with families with their young children, but I enjoy watching them have a good time. Our park (Hagan-Stone in Pleasant Garden NC) is almost 500 acres of trails, lakes, play areas, and is priced right. Elec & water, dump stations. Camping is camping, wherever it may be!
I was there for Memorial Day last year. it wasn't overly crowded but our campsite was attacked by flying cockroaches. They were everywhere. They were landing on us by the campfire and thy kept trying to attack the TT. we managed to keep them out of the rig but I was not happy. We were parked directly across from the playground in the last spot before you go into the woods. oh and don't drive a big rig into the woods. it is tight, and there is no warning about that, we took our 30' TT down there and almost didn't make it back out. I don't think I will be going back to that campground anytime soon.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
I was there for Memorial Day last year. it wasn't overly crowded but our campsite was attacked by flying cockroaches. They were everywhere. They were landing on us by the campfire and thy kept trying to attack the TT. we managed to keep them out of the rig but I was not happy. We were parked directly across from the playground in the last spot before you go into the woods. oh and don't drive a big rig into the woods. it is tight, and there is no warning about that, we took our 30' TT down there and almost didn't make it back out. I don't think I will be going back to that campground anytime soon.
Yikes!!! Apparently last year the cockroaches were celebrating memorial day. Not this year - unless maybe they were only on the site you were on. We were parked directly across the green from the dump station, and didn't have a problem with flying insects of any kind.

Your post reminds me of being at Disney World back in the 80s with our kids. Memorial day, and it was "LoveBug" season. Thousands... no, millions of the darned things. Couldn't go in or out of the camper without several families of them following us in! LOL
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
sorry to hear that. How bad was the damage?
not sure how much it will be but the dealer says they will be replacing the whole roof.

2013 Wildwood 26TBSS
2014 Ram 1500 Express CC
2013 Days camped 13
2014 Days camped 14
racecar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #31

Camped last weekend. Spent this past weekend painting the porch.

Now I camped in 70-80F dry sunny weather. The porch was painted in the cold..50's into the low 60s with rain on Monday.

I chose well!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #32

We camp over holiday weekends. But we are usually camping at my folks house at the lake. We have electric and water hook up and a party boat to play in - and we are the only camper there!!
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

well we ended up spending 2 days this weekend washing, buffing and waxing the TT. It was a lot of work but in the end it was worth it because we were able to get 2 yrs worth of baked on black streaks out, the TT is white again! we also miked a pork butt while we irked on the TT all in all a really good weekend considering we weren't camping.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #34

Camped in south east Nebraska at Indian Cave State Park from Thursday till Monday, then moved down and over to Lovewell State Park in North Central KS. It was an interesting night for sure. I was trying to keep an eye on the storm, but no TV reception and patchy cell service. Decided to head north to town, about 15north and wait it out at a pizza hut. Storm nailed the lake pretty good. No damage to the Sabre, but some weird stuff for sure. The rear stabilizers were on lynx levelers which were on 12" sq plywood blocks. When we came back after the storm, one Side was not quite touching the blocks anymore, and the other sides blocks were 24" away from the stabilizer! Also lost our awning mat, which is crazy to think of where it could have blown. The stinky slinky was on the sewer hose support, but the support all blew to pieces and found most of it 75 yds away! Also can't find two yellow wheel chocks...
Crazy stuff, but no one here was hurt and lots of campers stayed in their rigs thru the storm.

Hope we get some better weather the rest of this week.
Happy Campin! & if a brown & white awning mat blows your way, it'd be mine.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by denandra2 View Post
We avoid most holiday weekends like the plague, It's nice to be able to do it that way. I remember those weekender camping trips. Will be leaving 6-6-13 for Lake Red Rock, Ia for a week meeting with friends and then on to N.Dak for 5 days and then begin to slowly work our way back home to mow that darned ole GRASS.

Happy Camping
Where about in ND?
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #36
semi-senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Julie View Post
Where about in ND?
A little town called Verona, down in the SE corner of the state. Had relatives that used to farm in the area!
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by denandra2 View Post

A little town called Verona, down in the SE corner of the state. Had relatives that used to farm in the area!
We are from Williston, in the NW corner of the state. About the time you're there we will be in Devils Lake.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote