Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2022, 06:28 AM   #1

Jacking trailer up on cinderblocks

Hey everyone, I'm sure this topic has been talked about. I'm new here. I have a 21 ft trailer that I want to jack up and place on level on cinderblocks and leave it in one place for a long time. I have the jacks, its up and almost leveled now using smaller wood.

One side is off the wheels, the other not (yet).

1) Should I get the other side off the wheels for wheel protection?
2) Should the wheels be at least touching for more stability - I could add wood under the one side? Jack it up and let it back down.
3) My cinderblocks are on all four sides, will this stress the frame?
3) any other advise?
thanks
~MLW
marklewiswagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:01 AM   #2

If you bought the concrete blocks within the last 10 years don't call them cinder blocks some folks will hyper-ventilate on here mistakenly proclaiming they are unsafe and will crush.

They are made of concrete for the record <smiles>

Anyway to your question support the trailer with the blocks near the spring mounts and you'll have no issues.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:43 AM   #3

Cement

Cement - noted!
THANKS
~MLW
Old 09-14-2022, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklewiswagner View Post
Hey everyone, I'm sure this topic has been talked about. I'm new here. I have a 21 ft trailer that I want to jack up and place on level on cinderblocks and leave it in one place for a long time. I have the jacks, its up and almost leveled now using smaller wood.

One side is off the wheels, the other not (yet).

1) Should I get the other side off the wheels for wheel protection?
2) Should the wheels be at least touching for more stability - I could add wood under the one side? Jack it up and let it back down.
3) My cinderblocks are on all four sides, will this stress the frame?
3) any other advise?
thanks
~MLW
Personally, I have my wheels touching the ground or on wood. That way they carry most of the weight of the trailer.

The blocks are mostly for stabilization.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:03 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If you are going to be parking it permanently for a long period of time, supporting the frame in several locations with block pillars is the safest and most stabilization possible.
DO NOT support the R/V at just the front and rear with the wheels/tires off the ground. You need pillars at the axle location as well.

Leaving the wheels touching to gain stabilization does little as the suspension allows the wheel/tire to move independent of the frame and really doesn't stabilize but if you feel more comfortable in your thinking that if the blocks should ever fail, then the wheels/tires will catch it then so be it.

Putting a R/V on block pillars by design, is to carry the weight of the R/V. Nothing else touching the ground is necessary. Every modular home/mobile home is set up this way unless there are steel beams place under. The block pillars support the weight and the axles/wheels/tires are removed.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #6

No, CONCRETE

Quote:
Cement - noted!
THANKS
~MLW
No, Concrete! Cement is only one of the three components of concrete: fine aggregate (sand), and coarse aggregate (crushed rock), and Portland cement.

Concrete is much stronger than cement alone.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Cement - noted!
THANKS
~MLW
No. The block is made of concrete. Cement is one of four ingredients in concrete, and cement alone could not make a strong block. The cement, fine aggregate, coarse aggregate, and the water all become the concrete block.

Some say the water does not dry or evaporate, it becomes a part of the final cured concrete product. One would need to understand the chemistry of concrete to know for sure.

Interesting trivia: Concrete is man’s most widely used building material.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:58 PM   #8
Retired Old Fart

Also remember concrete blocks have the most strength when placed horizontal (like you would see them in a block wall with the openings facing upward). Most of the time when you see something up on blocks, they are placed vertical and the weak part of that method is the thin cross piece the weight of the items is resting on. To get the full strength, they need to be properly placed. Also placing them horizontal makes them much less likely to tip sideways. To use them correctly, you will more than likely need more than one block to get the height you need.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:02 PM   #9

thanks

oh these are all so helpful. I picked up some more cement blocks will support my trailer with 6 supports, 4 ends and 2 middles. THANK YOU ~MLW

Tags
lock, trailer