Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

Junk equalizers.

Replaced whole suspicion two years ago. Saw that it was the culprit of the bad tire wear.

This 400 miles. It had tread this morning. I looked at them while checking pressure.

Called a dealer but not able to get before closing that has the solid cast kind. Hopefully get this junk off in the morning and get on to Arkansas. At least not a blow out. But if you are having constant tire issue might be more than the tires. No I am not saying they don't make junk tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #2

Could you clarify your post a bit more? I'm just not seeing what part is junk?
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Curious to.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #4

In the first picture directly below the bolt to frame is the rubber portion. The first time before replacing I know I had some bind on the axles and forgot to pull up and back to allow the stress off tires,bushing ,etc. I know that I have always relieved any stress after replacing. Usually ten to twenty feet straight pull ups and back. One long 2X8 under both tires on each side. The only conclusion I can see is the springs are not getting equalized and smashing or compacting the rubber bushing. One is 6" from spring eye to spring eye and other is 5.75 or less. Resulting in the center of axles to the axles is around 1". The first time is was 1 3/8" off from axle to axle. Think it is Dexter EZ Flex. 5 years on the China bomb and 2 years on the suspension. There is a better equalizer but I will put shocks on it before install two sets on that junk.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Passenger side. Just measuring the outside of cap to outside of cap right now.

Driver side.

Last time I replaced all leaf springs put wet lube system went from plastic to bronze bushings, new U bolt, a new equalizers. Everything was brand new in between the frame to the axles. Measuring from the grease fitting to other grease they were exactly the same less than 1/32".

Maybe there is something I don't know how to set up the camper for this equalizer. But I know I won't ruin tires with the solid equalizer.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #6

Opposite side tire. They looked identical this morning.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:23 AM   #7

I'm thinking axle alignment instead of equalizer issue. But then I may not be familiar with rubber equalizers. Would like to hear more when you figure it out!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:18 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Measuring hub to hub won't tell you if your axles are aligned. You need to make diagonal measurements. That will tell you if you are square to the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:07 AM   #9

My WAG is bent spindle on that one wheel since it is the only one of 4 showing odd wear! Youroo!!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Measuring hub to hub won't tell you if your axles are aligned. You need to make diagonal measurements. That will tell you if you are square to the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

We did on the first replacement. I did it with a plumb bob and tape and the place I was staying had a friend to do it with laser or some high tech. Ours measurements were within 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch to each other. I think that is good. Just not a fan of that rubber bushing equalizer. If I had stop for fuel could have easy been a blowout and first thought would be China bombs. Don't think tmps would give you a warning. Maybe it just me. I believe when I park the one axle some how one rubber is under pressure compacting creating this problem. Not try to scare any one but just sharing my experience. Hopefully be at the dealership and swap out and be on the road.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
We did on the first replacement. I did it with a plumb bob and tape and the place I was staying had a friend to do it with laser or some high tech. Ours measurements were within 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch to each other. I think that is good. Just not a fan of that rubber bushing equalizer. If I had stop for fuel could have easy been a blowout and first thought would be China bombs. Don't think tmps would give you a warning. Maybe it just me. I believe when I park the one axle some how one rubber is under pressure compacting creating this problem. Not try to scare any one but just sharing my experience. Hopefully be at the dealership and swap out and be on the road.
I agree with the rubber being bad. It would be better if the cushions were urethane. Good upgrades on front & rear sway bars replace the factory rubber bushings with urethane bushings for better wear and longevity.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #12

I'm on the team that says axles are not aligned properly.

Bruce
Old 03-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #13

Got the solid ones on and axle to axle is the same. Waiting for them to to get tires and be on the road.

Last time I measured from the kingpin with plumb bob and pulled string to the front hanger and it was right. That was my first thought and decided to replace all the suspension to be sure. One of the old ones the rubber was noticeably shorter. These taken off are the same now but at the rest area there was.25" difference.

It's over and I have peace of mind and that means a lot.

Will check again when tires are on and on the ground.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #14

On the road.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #15

305 miles. Looking good.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #16

Dove's Camper Sale in Harrisonburg, VA did the job. Had parts and pulled the RV right in and sent out to get the tires changed. Was worried after reading some of the horror stories. They were great.

On the camper at rest area one equalizer was 6" from eye to eye and other was a little less 5 3/4" eye to eye.

They look the same after taking off but the tape measure didn't lie and tire has over 400 miles on it. The rear opposing tire is not showing any wear as it had rubber balling on it. It was a better tire than the factory and we could not see any visual reason to change.

Got another 500+ miles to go to get in Arkansas. Unless the phone call comes to be gainfully employed again. Right now it looks good.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #17

965 miles on the tire. Looks good. Back in Arkansas.

Tags
equalizer