Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
Multi-Slacker

Just curious - Dinette Usage

We have plenty of room for a dinette in our TT but use it more as a catchall than for dining. In a smaller unit, they take up a lot of space that, for us, could be put to much better use. My questions probably apply to couples camping without kids.

My questions are: Do you use the dinette for eating by preference or just because it is there. If you do not care about the dinette, for what would you use the space?

As I said, I'm just curious and thought it might make for some interesting discussion.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Kasual Kamper

We have the U-shaped dinette in our MicroLite 21DS and that was actually one of our requirements when we were looking at trailers. It gives you a little more space than the "booth-style" dinette option.

With that said, we prefer to eat outside, weather permitting. We're often with two or more families when we camp, so it makes more sense to erect an Easy-Up so that we can all eat together. However, when the weather is nasty and there is only two or four of us, we will use the dinette. It's cozy, but it works.

There is only my wife and me in our unit, so when the weather is nice, the table stays flat to the cushions and we use it for seating and extra storage space. This past weekend, our grandson joined us, so it served as a bed the whole time.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

With no dinette where do you eat? Don't give me that nonsense that there are zero calories if you eat standing over the stove or sink.

We eat outdoors, even when home, when convenient. But not often.

-- Chuck
Old 07-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
With no dinette where do you eat? Don't give me that nonsense that there are zero calories if you eat standing over the stove or sink.

-- Chuck
Depending on the meal, either from a plate in the lap or, more likely, from a folding TV table or similar. A paper plate in the lap works for lunchtime sandwiches. I'd want a table from which to eat a steak but a bowl of chili works handheld. Hey, that is just me. It's why I'm asking.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #5

Two adults and two dogs (basset hound and English shepherd) in our camper.

We never use the dining table. We lowered it as you would as if to use for another bed and then put two dog crates on it. That way the dogs sleep in their crates at night and also have a safe place to be if we're not inside for a bit.

We eat outside if it's nice. If not, we've got two recliners and a couch that we sit in while eating (we sometimes use lap boards when eating).

We've never missed the dinette. Going this route was the best thing we've done since we take our dogz with us.
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #6

I've got a lounge instead of a dinette in mine. If needed, I have two small folding tables.
Dining is mostly outdoors anyway.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #7

When we purchased our 2507S from the Dealer it came with a table and 4 chairs. We removed the table and 4 chairs and replaced it with a Futon.
Now each of us has a couch to lounge for tv or take a short nap. We eat on a TV tray. If we have a guest, they can sleep on the Futon.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #8

We have and use a U-shaped dinette. We conduct all of our business at it, it's a catch-all and eat at it. And occasionally use it to make a bed out of it. It would be the same usage if we had a table and chairs, except for the making a bed out of it.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #9

A number of people have replaced their dinette with either table/chairs, or love seats, etc. Put "replace dinette" into the search field at the top of this page and you'll get a lot of responses.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
Grammar Pedant

90% of the time, our dinette is in the "down" configuration as place to lounge and/or sleep. We rarely use the table, other than when it rains and we're forced inside.

In CO it doesn't rain persistently. So, even if it rains, it only lasts for 20-40 minutes and things are pretty dry after an hour. Still, during those times, it's nice to play a game on the dinette table and, very rarely, we'll even eat there.

But, meals are eaten outside 99% of the time.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #11

Have the dinette but table has not been up since our first trip 3 years ago. Wife made additional cushions; added pillows; like a day bed and dog bed. Normally just two of us. have had a couple of occasions it was used as a bed.

Generally cook and eat outside. If Rain... snack or eat out.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #12

We eat breakfast every day at the dinette. Too hot/cold/wet/buggy lunch and dinner as well. I find it easier to serve dinner inside then go back outside rather than haul everything outside and then bring the remains back in.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #13

My questions are: Do you use the dinette for eating by preference or just because it is there. If you do not care about the dinette, for what would you use the space?

As I said, I'm just curious and thought it might make for some interesting discussion.

[/QUOTE]

We purchased our Geo Pro 19FD in September here in the mountains of CO, and this weekend was the first time we haven't used it for breakfast. We're up early and it's too damn cold outside. It is just the two of us so a smaller dinette was on the list of requirements, but we do love starting our day in our own personal diner. at night it turns into a bed for our Newfoundland and he loves it when we open the window above a crack for him. Makes night trips to the bathroom interesting; you've got to time it when the dog is up on his bed and not taking up the floor.
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #14

Our previous travel trailer had a dinette and a sofa, and we were usually on the sofa but never using the dinette. Our current micro lite 19fbs has the sofa on a slide out and no dinette. We prefer it that way and use a folding table when we dine.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #15

Use the dinette

We use the dinette as intended at meal times. It's also used for food prep, and as a computer desk outside of meal times.

On this and other forums I've seen some nice installations where they have removed the table and installed a desk spanning about 18" of the benches closest to the walls. It's lower than the table, at a good height for typing. Room there for computer and printer.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #16

We have a Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS. It came with a couch instead of the dinette... something we specifically looked for on the lot. We eat at the couch using laptop lap tables. Cupholder in the couch arms. The unit comes with a fold up table that can be placed in front of the couch (or outside). Our feeling was... easier to use a couch for eating than a dinette for a
tsargent55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #17

Fell dinette is tight. More frequent and better use for us as daybed. Not into breaking down and setting up every day.

It is all about personal preference and what works best for you.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #18

If it's not used for dining much and not depended on as sleeping space tear it all out and remodel with what works for your needs. I've seen some take it all out and convert it to office work space. They work on the road.
Need a table, they have folding chairs and a drop leaf table.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #19

After many TTs with dinettes of various shapes the last TT had a table and chairs. Now on our 4th 5er with a table and chairs, would never go back.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #20
Retired Old Fart

We have the standard booth dinette and I'm not a fan of it. The prior owner of your TT took one side out and had a folding table and a chair. The other side has the furnace underneath so it cannot be taken out entirely.

I've thought about taking out the side by the door which just has storage under the seat. I would then make some storage above the other booth base (over the furnace) that would have a fold down table top which could be used for office/computer work or for eating. I would then put in some standard chairs that could also be used outside for guests. It's just the 2 of us and we will still have the jack knife sofa bed when our grandson gets old enough to travel with us. The storage for large items like chairs is somewhat limited in most "couples trailers" and having a straight back chair that could do double duty both inside and out is a plus. It would also give us more room with the table folder up.

What I'm thinking of is basically a storage area with compartments and drawers that mounts on top of the one side of the dinette above the furnace. It would be about twice as tall as the existing dinette base. Lower part, pure storage (perhaps larger bulk storage) and the upper part would have a bank of smaller drawers and cabinets. On the "front" would be a fold down table top that when in the up position would cover the upper section of drawers/cabinets. I may draw up a diagram and post it.

Here is our floor plan to help visualize what I'm talking about. The seat under the clock is where the furnace is, the table and seat by the door will be what I change if I do this (And being a bolt in mod, I can always reverse it when I decide to sale the trailer).

Another thought is since the wheel well is on the wall, It might work better to put the storage over the one side dinette base (with furnace) and then make a 2 person flip up table that mounts on the wall under the window. Same 2 chairs but you will be facing the window which might be nicer and give more elbow room. The wheel well is shallow enough that under that table on the wall I don't think it will matter. Again a bolt in mod that can be reversed.

Photos are from the internet, but for our model trailer.

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote