Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #61

50/50

Morons are illegal in all 50 states.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #62
Kanadian Kamper

Iím not so sure theyíre illegal......but they certainly are abundant.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD over a 2017 Ford E450
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #63

You need a better camera, there's some sort of blue blobs on the lens that block out much of the subject being photographed.

-- Chuck
Old 08-20-2020, 07:47 PM   #64

TT rider

The person riding in it must not have seen a TT blown apart in wreck!
RTRT94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:34 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Iíve posted this before.
momraising5boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:03 AM   #66

Riding in a trailer is illegal in California. Riding in a truck camper is legal.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by msroll View Post
Not legal in Michigan.
I have read from several sources, that riding in the trailer IS legal in Michigan.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #68

One thing that irks me to no end, and can make a fender bender deadly where instead they would have nothing but maybe a bruise, and leaves the driver 100% liable are those that allow their passenger to sit with their feet on the dash or out the window. Hell even a fast stop can cause injuries. The seat belt becomes deadly it can break the passengers neck, strangle them, or even decapitate them. and if that doesn't happen, their back will be broken when they are periscoped under the dash and their knees go behind their heads, as well as what the airbag can do.

Back to the topic at hand

According to Michigan laws, there are no statutes stating whether a passenger can or cannot ride in a trailer, but if they do, the driver is 100% liable for any injuries that occur.

article from 2017
Quote:
Michigan Law does not prohibit riding in a camper; however, in accordance with MCL 257.710(e) (seatbelt law), children under the age of 16 would be prohibited from doing so if there were passenger seats available in the vehicle towing the camper.
https://www.thealpenanews.com/opinio...ng-and-riding/

Reviewing 257.710e, no mention of trailers. Doing a search of 257 has no mentions of passengers in travel trailers.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #69

The longest trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
Wife is driving and I am just watching the scenery go back. When a truck and TT passed by. I had to do a double take to make sure I was not seeing things. Because of traffic they slowed down and then passed us again. We are doing 68 mph and they flew past us.Attachment 236702
Lucille Ball and Demi Arnez did a movie I believe it was called the longest trailer. It is very funny she gets in the back and tries to cook dinner. It is very funny.
I guess if it is legal in some states and not others would have to stop in the ones that aren’t and jump in the truck. LoL
Craftyrn1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
One thing that irks me to no end, and can make a fender bender deadly where instead they would have nothing but maybe a bruise, and leaves the driver 100% liable are those that allow their passenger to sit with their feet on the dash or out the window. Hell even a fast stop can cause injuries. The seat belt becomes deadly it can break the passengers neck, strangle them, or even decapitate them. and if that doesn't happen, their back will be broken when they are periscoped under the dash and their knees go behind their heads, as well as what the airbag can do.

Back to the topic at hand

According to Michigan laws, there are no statutes stating whether a passenger can or cannot ride in a trailer, but if they do, the driver is 100% liable for any injuries that occur.

article from 2017
https://www.thealpenanews.com/opinio...ng-and-riding/

Reviewing 257.710e, no mention of trailers. Doing a search of 257 has no mentions of passengers in travel trailers.
I worry very little about what others do in their vehicles that may be dangerous to THEM. Only worry about what might be dangerous to ME.

I am not part of the crowd that thinks everyone should be "bubble-wrapped". I learned a long time ago that people will do stupid things no matter how many times they're told it isn't wise or how many laws make it illegal.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftyrn1959 View Post
Lucille Ball and Demi Arnez did a movie I believe it was called the longest trailer. It is very funny she gets in the back and tries to cook dinner. It is very funny.
I guess if it is legal in some states and not others would have to stop in the ones that arenít and jump in the truck. LoL
It was called the Long, Long Trailer.

Mickey Mouse did it too.

Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #72

Best reference I could find: https://www.tripsavvy.com/passengers-in-campers-504228

Says Yes to Michigan (to coin a phrase).

-- Chuck
Old 08-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #73

Should be illegal everywhere IMHO
EarlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #74
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlA View Post
Should be illegal everywhere IMHO
I disagree, there should be no laws to protect you from yourself.

Should it be done, probably not. How many people that think it is a bad idea will be forced to do it if it is allowed. None.
prior TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #75

So let Darwin sort it out. Works for me. Let the dumb ones who survive suffer the rest of their life thinking how stupid it was to do what they did.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
So let Darwin sort it out. Works for me. Let the dumb ones who survive suffer the rest of their life thinking how stupid it was to do what they did.
I tend to agree however--------

Sometimes people that survive spend the rest of their life being cared for by "taxpayers". Even those who are only injured and recover in a few months put a burden on the healthcare system with many being un/under insured.

The costs of their care is spread among all the others that have the means to pay for their care in the hospital.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 08-22-2020, 01:00 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Sometimes people that survive spend the rest of their life being cared for by "taxpayers". Even those who are only injured and recover in a few months put a burden on the healthcare system with many being un/under insured.

The costs of their care is spread among all the others that have the means to pay for their care in the hospital.
So true, which circles back to my original statement, sometimes you have to keep the stupid from doing stupid things, or we all wind up paying for their stupidity. Really fits with the OP.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #78
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

That's like saying a 6yo orphan with a brain tumor or cancer has to pay for their own healthcare.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #79

Riding in trailers is not legal in most places because the Rail Roads got the laws passed when the Bus companies were looking at adding trailers to buses to increase passenger capacity and the RRs did not want the extra competition.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
That's like saying a 6yo orphan with a brain tumor or cancer has to pay for their own healthcare.
Not at all. But someone does, usually through incheased medical expenses to all.

Sometimes charity covers the cost but not always.

2004 Nissan Titan