Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #81

Right there with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyote61 View Post
My humble opinion is, no one should ride in any trailer period. They are not built with any protection against a crash. Nothing but thin fiber walls on 2x2 studs or thin metal framing. They blow up like a watermelon shot with a 357 magnum hollow point! Pushers are only slightly better. OK, don't start reading me the riot act for expressing my opinion. Remember, I'm from Arkansas.
I'm right there with you--that's crazy risk-taking behavior. And, yes, I'm from Arkansas, too!
kelijake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I tend to agree however--------

Sometimes people that survive spend the rest of their life being cared for by "taxpayers". Even those who are only injured and recover in a few months put a burden on the healthcare system with many being un/under insured.

The costs of their care is spread among all the others that have the means to pay for their care in the hospital.

2X
Old 08-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #83
PhD, Common Sense

Images of the crumpled wreckages of TTs—even those that did not have people inside—should be all that is required to convince any rational person that the lack of passenger protection in a TT makes riding in one stupid beyond belief.

That being said, as long as they are endangering no one else, let stupid people be stupid.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #84

Internet search

The following states do allow you to ride in a travel trailer. However, each one has a different description of what kind of RV qualifies, so check your local laws.

Arizona
Arkansas
California
District of Columbia
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana (fifth-wheel only)
Nebraska
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania (fifth-wheel only)
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
West Virginia
Wisconsin (fifth-wheel only)
chevycarsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevycarsdude View Post
The following states do allow you to ride in a travel trailer. However, each one has a different description of what kind of RV qualifies, so check your local laws.

Arizona
Arkansas
California
District of Columbia
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana (fifth-wheel only)
Nebraska
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania (fifth-wheel only)
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
West Virginia
Wisconsin (fifth-wheel only)
With this long list in mind, I wonder just how many people that were riding in a travel trailer have actually been injured/killed in an accident or even just involved in an accident.

I personally have not seen, read, or even heard of one. Not to say that means it never happens but it doesn't seem to be widespread.

I DO regularly read of people being injured while riding around in the back of pickup trucks though.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #86
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
With this long list in mind, I wonder just how many people that were riding in a travel trailer have actually been injured/killed in an accident or even just involved in an accident.

I personally have not seen, read, or even heard of one. Not to say that means it never happens but it doesn't seem to be widespread.

I DO regularly read of people being injured while riding around in the back of pickup trucks though.
I think the question is more along the lines of, “What are your chances of surviving a wreck if you are riding in a travel trailer (or in the back of a pick-up)?” My guess is that both are near zero. You’d have an excellent chance of surviving if there is not a wreck.

BTW, when I talked to Mrs. eye about this thread, she related the story of her grandfather traveling to Colorado with some friends for a hunting trip. One was traveling in the trailer. He died. Carbon monoxide poisoning from the truck exhaust got him. I know we have a lot of protections against this today (exhausts blowing to the side, CO detectors in TTs, etc.), but I thought the story was tangentially relevant.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
Really ??? Well we are traveling through Mi. and I do believe it is illegal here. I could be wrong but I still would not want to be in that TT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msroll View Post
Not legal in Michigan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
In some states it is legal in 5th Wheel trailers.

Travel trailers it is illegal in all 50 states.

More rules you may or may not be aware of:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/state-regu...o...%20More%20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Not in a TT, but OK in a 5TH Wheel !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrushaber View Post
actually it is totally legal unless the law has changed really recently in Michigan
I see lots of folks talking about Michigan. Unfortunately, I have more years of experience dealing with the motor vehicle code in Michigan than I would care to admit. There is no law that addresses whether you can or can't ride in a trailer. Therefore it is not prohibited. There is no requirement for communication to the trailer either. I know that there are a few sites out there that list it as being illegal, but it isn't. The only thing close to addressing it is the seatbelt law which requires belts for front seat passengers and any passengers under 16.

That said, it's not where I would choose to ride.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
I see lots of folks talking about Michigan. Unfortunately, I have more years of experience dealing with the motor vehicle code in Michigan than I would care to admit. There is no law that addresses whether you can or can't ride in a trailer. Therefore it is not prohibited. There is no requirement for communication to the trailer either. I know that there are a few sites out there that list it as being illegal, but it isn't. The only thing close to addressing it is the seatbelt law which requires belts for front seat passengers and any passengers under 16.

That said, it's not where I would choose to ride.
Doubt that would cover a trailer as the seat is definitely not a FRONT seat.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 08-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #89

Exactly. Which is why it's still legal to ride in a trailer here.
Quote:
Doubt that would cover a trailer as the seat is definitely not a FRONT seat.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck1032 View Post
A quick Google search brought up a link to Camping World, so take this with a grain of salt. Attachment 236713Attachment 236714
Not legal in New York
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:57 PM   #91

Quote:

Titan Mike, you are usually pretty good with your responses but this one I need to correct your list, in New York State it is not legal to ride in a trailer.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipatroller View Post
Titan Mike, you are usually pretty good with your responses but this one I need to correct your list, in New York State it is not legal to ride in a trailer.
I didn't type rhe list, merely quoted it from another poster.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 08-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #93
PhD, Common Sense

There is a forum that has a rule: Cite to authority. This means that when a poster makes a claim of law, the poster should cite the law itself, not what someone else reports what the law says.

Of course, that was much more important on that site because its members would quite often walk right up to the edge of the law. On this forum, not so much.

I am not saying that no one should have posted a list of States that allow or outlaw the practice. However, if someone on this forum is going to ride in a travel trailer, I recommend researching the law in all the States in which he or she is planning to do this.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #94

Chevycarsdude's list is wrong or at the very least, inaccurate. I was going to poke some fun at eye95's response until I read the original list. Others have already said it - Research the states you plan to travel in if it is absolutely necessary to have someone ride outside the tow vehicle.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #95

According to this you can in Michigan plus a list of all the states
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #96

fresh water fill

How to know when the tank is full.

always be sincere even if you don't mean it
nrgilpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:19 AM   #97

What a great way to find out just how rough the trailer rides. There is always debate about air pressure in trailer tires and how it effects the trailer.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:17 PM   #98

have you ever seen a motor home after a wreck? Not much protection there either. Just stay in your lane and give them lots of room, they will be fine.
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote