Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #41

Had CAA, which is the Canadian partner of AAA, and they wouldn’t tow both the truck and trailer after an issue with my front diff on the truck. They actually said the trailer will be safe on the side of the road for a few days. BS

Switched to Good Sam for way less money and service that will tow both and provide free return to my home city if required, and will never look back.
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #42

RV road service

I'd choose Coach Net over Good Sam any day. Easter Sunday 2019 last leg of a three week trip I spent Sat night at a small rural campground about 80 miles from home so I can give my tanks a good cleaning before storage. Broke camp, pulled up to the exit shut her down and took the garbage to the dumpser. Returned to my RV and it won't start. We tried jumping and nothing.. I called Coach Net and in about three hours a huge highway wrecker turned up to get me. It was so large he had to pull me back to have room to hook me up. He towed me 75 miles to a Chevy dealer that serviced my RV. What a sight my 24ft class C going down the road, hanging behind this huge wrecker with me trying to keep up with my Smart car. Coach Net paid for the tow My van was just under 5yrs so GM paid for the starter and the residents at the campground invited us to their rec center to share share Easter lunch while we waited.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:36 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurlitzer28 View Post
Anyone have better luck with Good Sam or something else?

You can get road service including towing from your RV motor vehicle insurer for much less than the special services. We get ours from State Farm for an add-on fee of $19.40 per 6 months. They provided one local tow at no charge, no problems or questions, that way more than paid for the premium last year.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:57 PM   #44

Had Good Sam... called for a tow... before I realized what was happening the agent wanted put me on hold for like 20 min then came back to me and was offering places to tow my truck to... they didn't even really know what was wrong with my truck. After another 15 min of telling the agent I wanted it towed home we had to do another song and dance of how far home was, the location of where I was VS the shop .. they finally agreed then said they would call a truck and call me back. hr latter I called them and they still didn't have much info .... another 30 min they tell me they found a truck.... I literally could see the tow truck yard from where I was parked...

Anyways tow shows up loads me up and talking to the driver on the way home and he tells me how it works on his side... So Good Sam calls the tow company and gives them the info and tells they they are willing to pay $45 for the tow... They decline and good Sam calls the next tow company rinse and repeat... then he says they call again and offer a few more $$ but they typically decline again... rinse and repeat yet again until the 3rd or 4th time they call and they ask how much... Driver said they were billing them $400 ish for my tow because of the time waste and insult to start with not to mention the wait for billing. Said If I called them direct it would have been about $80... that's what started the conversation.

Honestly my 2 experiences in getting good Sam to obtain me a tow was a 3+ hr endeavor If I renew and If I need another service I suspect I will just call a local person and have them give me a hand then submit the bill as my time is worth more then the tactics they employ.
With internet now there really is zero advantage and I also know more about the issue I have then the 2 agents I have spoken with in knowing who and or what would be the best place to resolve my issues. Call the local tow see what options are and go from there, if and only if a tow is crazy stupid quote would I waste the time calling good sam and I also would dictate the call for my needs.

FYI I suspect when the send you to a repair location they also are trying to get a kick back and or want to see if they will cover the tow VS finding you a spot that will work on your ride.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:54 AM   #45

Quote:
Picked up our Georgetown RV from storage only to find the rear outside duly flat. Tried to inflate it and the tire had come off the bead so no way was I going to inflated it.

Called AAA and just asked for someone with mobile tire service but they refused to help but did offer to tow it someplace. I live in a rural area so a tow is a long and expensive way to treat a flat tire. They refused to even offer any suggestions as to who might offer such service.

It is now 8 days and I've yet to find anyone to come out, and remove, fix, replace the tire.

This is the 2nd time AAA has failed in this manner as a couple of years ago, while traveling through the Chicago area, my rear brake assembly on my car went bonkers and all I asked was for some assistance finding a local repair shop which was open on a Sunday. ZERO help from AAA but Firestone was open.
Do you have AAA RV Plus or just regular AAA? They won't do much for RV's unless you have AAA RV Plus. I had God Sam for several years, after getting left on the road several times I switched to AAA RV Plus.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:13 AM   #46

road side AAA & Good Slab

as far as towing iv had no problems with my own INS.
for coverage I tryed Good Salam aka Sam. it was through Assurance.
C.W refused to repair my rig then passed me off to Assurance through Good Slam through Camping world and they denied the clam i played phone tage for about 2 weeks steady.
i finally called mister big shot " if your happy im happy" CeO lemmon ...i dident get him and, demanded a full refund on my Assurance INS.. for another 4 or 5 mo phone games again.finly i was reimbursed for all the payments i made...
and did the repairs my self ...
iv owned a ton of campers so taking things apart wasent that bad i wanted things right so i took my time ..
so INS i do not know what to say??? sorry

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 cummins Quad cab 8' bed Dully custom
2014 Rock wood 2608ws Ul custom for Cre & zoie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5974.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	253518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6083.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	253519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6082.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	253520   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6641.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	501.8 KB
ID:	253521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6671.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	253522  

Old 05-04-2021, 06:47 AM   #47

Aaa venting

September 2020 we retired and took a 3 week trip to see family in north Georgia. Everything was great until on a Sunday morning we were heading south on a highway and the truck lost power. Zero, nil nothing. The truck was dead. I called AAA ( 30 year member ) and they said that it would be 2 - 3 hours before we were rescued. Here’s the kicker. We’re in the middle of Georgia somewhere and the operator said that when the driver comes that we could not ride in the truck and would need to provide our own transportation. We woulD be left on the side of the road. BS.....as it turned out a Good Samaritan who owned a repair shop in Clarksville hauled the truck, 35 ‘ RV and us to his shop and made the repairs.
After a fight AAA reimbursed me the $250.00 tow bill. The least AAA could have done was assist in finding us some type of transportation. Still pissed.
SGWS-RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #48
Mopar Guy

for the most part I have had good luck with AAA. Except one time.

Sunday mid july on I84 in new york. Injection pump failed in truck. Call AAA at 5:30pm.
AAA assured me they would send someone. Called every 30minutes after that and kept getting a run around. at 1:00AM my brother came to get me. AAA finally got the truck at about 3:30. My house was 60 miles away from where it broke down. At 9AM, i still didnt have my truck. I called AAA. They couldnt even tell me who towed the truck. but they would find out. At 11:00am i called back, got nothing. So at noon i reported the truck stolen to the NYS police. Finally at 4:00pm, truck gets dropped in my driveway.

Driver said AAA told them to hold the truck for customer pickup...
Cost4133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #49

30 yr's & how much $

Quote:
Picked up our Georgetown RV from storage only to find the rear outside duly flat. Tried to inflate it and the tire had come off the bead so no way was I going to inflated it.

Called AAA and just asked for someone with mobile tire service but they refused to help but did offer to tow it someplace. I live in a rural area so a tow is a long and expensive way to treat a flat tire. They refused to even offer any suggestions as to who might offer such service.

It is now 8 days and I've yet to find anyone to come out, and remove, fix, replace the tire.

This is the 2nd time AAA has failed in this manner as a couple of years ago, while traveling through the Chicago area, my rear brake assembly on my car went bonkers and all I asked was for some assistance finding a local repair shop which was open on a Sunday. ZERO help from AAA but Firestone was open.

INS Co.
there all a rip off look at the stupid comershels on TV.
how much money do you think they spend on them Tv ADD'S.

Geico, State farm,Liberty,ALL STATE,

my INS Co was Gougeing me 1,989 a yr for Ins till i finly said why is my INS so
Hi..now it's half that, what about reinbursing me for your gouging me...
it's a Joke

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad 5.9 cummins 8' box Dully custom
No Sway and i nap behind the wheel..it's a night a day thing*
2014 2608ws rock wood Ul custom 4 Cre & zoie.
--
Old 05-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #50

Still no response from AAA

Just an update! The same day I started this thread, posted on AAA's website for "Complaints", exactly what I originally posted here.

To this date, not a single response from AAA.

I tried a local tire firm which does handle truck tires and they have to this very day been using the "Covid" excuse to not have someone available. Seems everyone from government on down will milk the Wuhan flu for the "Excuse de jour" for everything.

So, I called a local Goodyear store, as they made the tire, and a very nice gentleman told me that even if I had the RV towed to them, they were not equipped to handle that size vehicle. He did however, locate another Goodyear store which could provide roadside assistance. They are supposed to be here at the end of the week to the tune of $125/hour including travel time plus of course the tire if it needs replacement.

Sure glad this happened at home and not out at lake upchuck someplace. This all started April 17th, and today is May 4th.

This experience has turned me off not only to AAA but to RV travel as if this happened hundreds/thousands of miles away from home it would really suck and there is nothing RVing can provide to counter that level of suck.
wurlitzer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcape View Post
Do you have AAA RV Plus or just regular AAA? They won't do much for RV's unless you have AAA RV Plus. I had God Sam for several years, after getting left on the road several times I switched to AAA RV Plus.

I have AAA RV Plus and coverage for my motorcycle.

This experience has turned me off not only to AAA but to RV travel as if this happened hundreds/thousands of miles away from home it would really suck and there is nothing RVing can provide to counter that level of suck.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inciter View Post
Wow these RIgs must be the massive size rigs? I think the first thing I will do is change the Campers tire with the spare and then swap it back into the underside. The camper I am getting is a Single axle. I can plug a tire on the go being a jeeper thats a needed skill, and for my tractor. My wife can change a tire as well...

Why can't you guy's use the spare? Am I missing something?

The tires are full size truck/semi tires for this size Class A and usually there is no room to lug something that size everywhere you go. Then you have the issue of jacking up something that heavy, if the auto levelers cannot be coaxed to lifting that wheel off the ground.

Then you have the issue of being a mere mortal trying to remove 10 or so lug nuts which were put on with an air gun and all you have is a lug wrench.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #53

Quote:
I have AAA RV Plus and coverage for my motorcycle.

May I ask where you live? That no one will come help fix a tire for you? Literally hundred of thousands if not millions of trucks cross this great nation daily and they get flats every day, thousands of car accidents and vehicles are towed. on literally any road. Not sure the number but there are millions of tire shops with trucks that go out and fix tires for people. Granted there is a price to be paid for this service but seriously where do you live. that you have storage but absolutely zero tire stores.

Now if your asking if they take AAA insurance then yeah I can see them declining to help you as I assume AAA pays dog poo rates. They have to wait for payment and it's otherwise an epic pain in the rear for little gain.
My advice is to call local tire shops, tow companies and not even mention AAA I would be shocked if you can't get someone to come out after a few phone calls. Once you have someone agreeable to fix you up ask about AAA and see what they say, I suspect you will learn a lot, from they never get paid to they never called I love AAA as they pay more. Then after your all set I would file a claim with AAA, they should have a process.

FYI
If you literally just have a tire off the bead, that should be 10 min to jack it up, 5 min to hook up the air line, 30 seconds to fill and use the blow tank and BOOM it's filling the tire. You might not even need the jack if the inside tire is holding ok.

The other option is you get a can of ether starting fluid and a match.... No seriously people do this all the time lots of cool videos on youtube FYI it can be very dangerous so I only advice watching.

You also might be able to reseat your own tire if you jack up that side just right, Dully tires are usually fairly close to rim size you might find you can fix it yourself.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If you live in a rural area, there just might be nobody that does roadside tire work.
Can't blame that on AAA.

As mentioned, many Ag places do tires on big tractors or possibly a company that services dump trucks (tri-axles) semis and the like.

I'm 30 miles SW of Buffalo, NY. My issue AND I SURE CAN BLAME AAA is I was not asking for an expensive TOW or some freebee, simply some direction as to who to contact for mobile tire service as I did not want to risk more damage to the RV by towing it.

AAA deals with all sorts of vehicle service firms EVERY day and certainly they should have had the ability to say, call XXX-XXX-XXXX.

I don't deal with trucks nor those who work on them so all I needed was help in finding someone who did. That is not unreasonable and in fact would have been to AAA's advantage as I was not asking for a tow.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #55

We had AAA RV Plus and had terrible service especially for the price. Moved to Good Sam and still terrible service but it less terrible than AAA. No matter who we called, it is always a 2 to 3 hour wait. So now with the new 5er I bought and carry with me tools (e.g. generator, impact wrench, ) so I can change the tires in minutes (almost Nascar speed) and I'm back on the road. I use the hydraulic leveling jacks to raise the RV side.

I'm not convinced that a perfect roadside plan or company exists. They all rely on 3rd parties to do the work and sometimes you win and get a good one and other times, you get that guy who just learned how to spell tow truck.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #56

Good Sam is cheaper I think, but plan on waiting 3+ hours for a service truck/wrecker to arrive. First time I used them they sent a 20’ flatbed wrecker to tow my 33’ TT with a locked up rear axel…needless to say, that didn’t work. 2nd time was a simple flat tire…by the time they arrived, I had the tire changed myself. And 3rd time, another flat tire (cheap foreign made tires they put on a TT), I didn’t bother calling them. I changed the tire myself, even though I had just had cataract surgery 3 days earlier.
cbcg710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:52 PM   #57

Good sam tire contract

I did not read all replies to this thread so if someone has already suggested the following, my apologies 8-)

Call your RV Dealer, when we bought our FR3 we purchased a 5 Year Tire Contract that was through GOOD SAMS that covered all tires, RV, TOAD, Trailer, etc.. They will repair or replace as needed. The cost was only $500 so it was a no brainer.

Good Luck
Old 05-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGWS-RETIRED View Post
September 2020 we retired and took a 3 week trip to see family in north Georgia. Everything was great until on a Sunday morning we were heading south on a highway and the truck lost power. Zero, nil nothing. The truck was dead. I called AAA ( 30 year member ) and they said that it would be 2 - 3 hours before we were rescued. Here’s the kicker. We’re in the middle of Georgia somewhere and the operator said that when the driver comes that we could not ride in the truck and would need to provide our own transportation. We woulD be left on the side of the road. BS.....as it turned out a Good Samaritan who owned a repair shop in Clarksville hauled the truck, 35 ‘ RV and us to his shop and made the repairs.
After a fight AAA reimbursed me the $250.00 tow bill. The least AAA could have done was assist in finding us some type of transportation. Still pissed.
I broke down recently (I have AAA RV Plus) in a rest area on the side of I-69 in MI. In fact, it is the ONLY rest area between Flint and Port Huron, MI. I took a picture of the sign outside the restroom giving an emergency location of exactly where we were and called AAA. The agent neglected to let the tow company know where we were (in the lower parking lot of the only rest area east of Flint), the tow driver for whatever reason could not reach me by phone (sketchy service), and he was sitting on the entrance ramp to I-69 a few miles west of the rest area as he was told we were "somewhere" along I-69 east of Flint. In the meantime, I had been told by the AAA agent that we could not ride with the tow driver so I called a friend who drove well over an hour and got to us BEFORE the tow driver!

It was starting to get dark (this was in February) and we (2 females) were concerned with being alone and without a vehicle in a rest area where many of the truck drivers heading back to the Canadian border stop. Not a very safe or comfortable feeling. As I said, thank goodness my friend got there first.

I then started to get more persistent with calling AAA to see where the tow truck was. When the tow driver finally was given the info to find us in the rest area, he was sent to the wrong part (upper level for cars only and we had a trailer) of the rest area. He had to drive over curbs and across grass in order to not have to re-enter the freeway and take god knows how much longer to circle back around as the next nearest exit was more than a few miles down the road.

So, not the best experience when I had to contact AAA in February but at least my friend got to the rest area first so we had somewhere warm, safe and out of the cold to wait for the tow truck. All told, we were in the rest area for a solid 2 hours waiting for help when the tow truck should have arrived in under an hour (the driver told me they were not busy).
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:51 AM   #59

I've had AAA for 30 years and only used them twice for a local tow. The one time I really needed them and they would not help was when I was in Arizona and got my Ford F250 stuck in the sand. They said they were not available to service the particular area I got stuck in which was only a half mile off Tom Wells Road. I called a local non AAA tow company and they responded. They only charged me $150.00 to free my truck from the sand which was well worth it especially since it was July and 116 degrees outside. Now I am questioning if it was worth paying thousands of dollars for AAA service I almost never needed. I guess peace of mind comes at great cost.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLori View Post
I've had AAA for 30 years and only used them twice for a local tow. The one time I really needed them and they would not help was when I was in Arizona and got my Ford F250 stuck in the sand. They said they were not available to service the particular area I got stuck in which was only a half mile off Tom Wells Road. I called a local non AAA tow company and they responded. They only charged me $150.00 to free my truck from the sand which was well worth it especially since it was July and 116 degrees outside. Now I am questioning if it was worth paying thousands of dollars for AAA service I almost never needed. I guess peace of mind comes at great cost.
they should have reimburse you. Did they
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, vent