Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #1

Just Venting about AAA RV coverage

Picked up our Georgetown RV from storage only to find the rear outside duly flat. Tried to inflate it and the tire had come off the bead so no way was I going to inflated it.

Called AAA and just asked for someone with mobile tire service but they refused to help but did offer to tow it someplace. I live in a rural area so a tow is a long and expensive way to treat a flat tire. They refused to even offer any suggestions as to who might offer such service.

It is now 8 days and I've yet to find anyone to come out, and remove, fix, replace the tire.

Anyone have better luck with Good Sam or something else?

This is the 2nd time AAA has failed in this manner as a couple of years ago, while traveling through the Chicago area, my rear brake assembly on my car went bonkers and all I asked was for some assistance finding a local repair shop which was open on a Sunday. ZERO help from AAA but Firestone was open.
wurlitzer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #2

We don't have a large rig, but we use Coach-Net. They have 24 hour coverage by phone. I think most of these roadside assistance for motohomes us the same heavy tow truck services. They cover your other vehicles also. I needed a jump on my little KIA soul and they sent a huge tow truck with a hand held jump device.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #3

That seems very strange indeed. I've had AAA for 31 years and have never had a problem other than having to wait so long once near Monroe, La on a Sunday, that I finally went ahead and changed a camper flat myself.

The guy pulled up just as I was tightening the last lugs and he begged me to at least let him torque the lug nuts...I suppose so he could pad the bill. I declined and he tried to bill AAA anyway because they called me a week later and asked if he helped.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
That seems very strange indeed. I've had AAA for 31 years and have never had a problem other than having to wait so long once near Monroe, La on a Sunday, that I finally went ahead and changed a camper flat myself.

The guy pulled up just as I was tightening the last lugs and he begged me to at least let him torque the lug nuts...I suppose so he could pad the bill. I declined and he tried to bill AAA anyway because they called me a week later and asked if he helped.
I've been a member since 1987 and for a couple of tows when my car died or a tire change or battery jump it has been fine.

It sure seems, like zero help for a Class A if you don't carry a spare which most do not.
wurlitzer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
Camper God

AAA doesn't even offer RV coverage here in New England. I had to go with Good Sam.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #6
ysidive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post

Just think they were trying to rate the service provided by the tower... Once a truck is dispatched and he tells AAA he is enroute he gets paid for the call... Whatever his contract price with triple A is what he gets paid...
Old 04-28-2021, 06:59 PM   #7

Several years ago I had a flat on my inside rear tire on my E-350 based Class C. I called AAA and they said they would not fix the inside tire. They would tow it or call someone for me. As I had a TOAD I asked them to call someone. They sent an independent out to do the work. When I got home I wrote AAA a letter saying I was surprised they would only cover 4 of 6 tires. They said send them the invoice for the work I had done and they would reimburse me. They did.

I thought they changed that policy of not working on all tires, but evidently not. They have an office a mile close to where I live. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #8

Yikes. We just upgraded DW's membership to include me and the RV. Hope it wasn't a waste as it wasn't cheap...
Old 04-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #9

I was with my sister when her 32 ft class C had a flat. She has the upgraded AAA membership and we called for a service. It was a holiday weekend and so the wait was about 3 hours!! But they came and changed the inner rear tire. A year later, my boat trailer wheel bearing went kaput on a late Sunday afternoon! I tried to use my BoatUS for tow service...uh! They do not have a long enough flatbed available within the area. They have contacted another company for me but those bozos wanted to charge me $800(needed special rig)! Enter my sister's AAA, of which was advised then to upgrade her membership to Premier RV and that my boat trailer will be covered for the 70 mile tow to my house! AAA saved me lots of $. I opted for the same membership to cover my cars, TT and boat trailer.

Life is sometimes short, make the memories last longer- go RVing and just enjoy Life
roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:36 PM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

I have Allstate for all my coverage (cars, house, and RV). I also have the Allstate Motor Club (or Roadside Assistance, or whatever they call it now). It is coverage specifically for RV Roadside help. I had a triple blowout (3 of my tires at different places on the way home from San Antonio to Houston), and Allstate was awesome. My 5 hour trip home though turned into a 14 hour nightmare. But like I said, Allstate did everything right. I blew through my benefit limit though on the 3rd blowout, but they still helped with getting a tire service out there to not only find a tire (at midnight), but get someone out to pull the tire off my trailer, change it with the new tire, and get me on my way. And of course there was the damage to the trailer after the first blowout. Sheesh...like I said, a nightmare.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurlitzer28 View Post
Picked up our Georgetown RV from storage only to find the rear outside duly flat. Tried to inflate it and the tire had come off the bead so no way was I going to inflated it.

Called AAA and just asked for someone with mobile tire service but they refused to help but did offer to tow it someplace. I live in a rural area so a tow is a long and expensive way to treat a flat tire. They refused to even offer any suggestions as to who might offer such service.

It is now 8 days and I've yet to find anyone to come out, and remove, fix, replace the tire.

Anyone have better luck with Good Sam or something else?

This is the 2nd time AAA has failed in this manner as a couple of years ago, while traveling through the Chicago area, my rear brake assembly on my car went bonkers and all I asked was for some assistance finding a local repair shop which was open on a Sunday. ZERO help from AAA but Firestone was open.

Living in a rural area, like me, I have had success on large tires by calling a farm equipment co. We have a farmers Coop here that will work on truck tires. Might look and see if something like that is available in your area.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:27 PM   #12

I have AAA in CA - I had a tire come off my trailer on a major Freeway a few years back. Then would not change or add a new tire but they did tow me to a local shop who replaced the tire. Needs to be AAA Premier Never had a problem in CA. Other than wait time.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 10[/B]
robo44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
I have Allstate for all my coverage (cars, house, and RV). I also have the Allstate Motor Club (or Roadside Assistance, or whatever they call it now). It is coverage specifically for RV Roadside help. I had a triple blowout (3 of my tires at different places on the way home from San Antonio to Houston), and Allstate was awesome. My 5 hour trip home though turned into a 14 hour nightmare. But like I said, Allstate did everything right. I blew through my benefit limit though on the 3rd blowout, but they still helped with getting a tire service out there to not only find a tire (at midnight), but get someone out to pull the tire off my trailer, change it with the new tire, and get me on my way. And of course there was the damage to the trailer after the first blowout. Sheesh...like I said, a nightmare.
Iím glad you are happy with Allstate, but even my former Allstate agent didnít insure her RV with Allstate. She directed me to Progessive, which I switched to and got a far better policy. Later, when I switched all my insurance to USAA (available for current or past service members) I learned their RV underwriter was Progressive. As a result i replaced my Progressive policy for the exact same USAA Progressive policy for a lower premium.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #14

I've had bad luck with AAA with my 32' Sunseeker. Sending out a dude in a HHR to remove a rear dual tire and more recently being stuck on I-81 in VA for 6 hours with a blown engine, 4 hours from home. Good Sam was worse that day. Feast or famine I guess.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If you live in a rural area, there just might be nobody that does roadside tire work.
Can't blame that on AAA.

As mentioned, many Ag places do tires on big tractors or possibly a company that services dump trucks (tri-axles) semis and the like.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #16

For those that are on the Interstates they usually have state paid tow,gas,and tire fix outfits free, Sandag in San Diego handles all the main traffic routes. Guy fixed a tire on my Wifes car (had to frame that properly).

For the original Poster you might try local gas stations and see if they know someone in your area. Lot's of folks looking for jobs & money theses days. Can you not get it off and take it to a tire shop? if AAA is not helping a tire repair shop should not break the bank? and AAA may even pay for it?
2017 4Wheel Camper Hawk
Trail West 2 Horse Trailer
San Diego Area
Inciter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #17

Quote:
...I had a triple blowout (3 of my tires at different places on the way home from San Antonio to Houston)...
Yikes. Next time don't off-road with the RV.

Seriously, how does that even happen on such a short drive? I know the I-10 pavement can get really, really hot in the summer down there, but wow.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #18

Quote:
When one tire goes it times to change all of them. Hopefully change them before they blow out due to age or miles.
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:48 PM   #19

I have Aaa plus r v and I broke down twice first time pulling my boat had to get my dad come get it. They wanted to take it to the nearest rest stop that's y I call my dad.The second time I pulling my trailer had to call my dad again bc they didn't want to pull the camper
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #20

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmfa View Post
When one tire goes it times to change all of them. Hopefully change them before they blow out due to age or miles.
X2-Tire blew last year (3years old) on I-5 in Northern California. When i got to the campground, i had local tire shop replace all the tires.

Tags
cover, vent