Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Just what is "RV" toilet paper??

I hope this has not been covered before.

We are wondering exactly what "RV" designated toilet paper is. Does it meet some government mandated standard? Does it meet some RV industry regulation? Does it have to go through some rigorous testing before it is allowed to have an "RV" designation? Or do TP manufacturers simply slap an RV label on it and get away with it?

After having been to an RV show last fall and seeing a demo., we did a TP test of our own with 4 different brands in water to see what happened. Very interesting results. The first photo below shows the 4 test samples in water. From left to right is "Kirkland" from Costco, another Costco one (but forgot to record the brand), Thetford and then Valterra. IIRC, it took about an hour before you could see something happening. At 24 hours, there was no further visible degradation of the TP.

The 2nd photo shows the Valterra brand after "dissolving" and the 3rd is the Thetford TP. You can see how the Valterra turns to a sort of mush but the Thetford does not and the sheets stay connected and there is little degradation of the sheets.

What we found is that the Kirkland and Valterra "dissolved" but the Thetford and other Costco brand did not. Are we being duped by TP manufacturers? Why pay up to around $4 a roll for RV TP when you can get some from Costco for 50 cents a roll and works great?

So from now on, we are going to buy the Kirkland stuff. For those who might be experiencing problems with cleaning tanks or level sensors not reading correctly, it might be worth switching brands and seeing if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006 (800x457).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	22706   Click image for larger version

Name:	007 (800x600).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	22707   Click image for larger version

Name:	009 (800x598).jpg
Views:	190
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	22708  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting experiment. Now swish those jars around a little.

Probably any single-ply toilet paper that will break up with a little agitation should be OK to use in an RV toilet.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #3

If you're paying $4 a roll you need to find another place to buy TP. 4 rolls of RV TP at Wal-Mart is like $3. I checked out the price before one of my last camping trips and I didn't see enough savings to buy regular TP VS RV TP while having to worry about what will dissolve and what won't.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Graduate Member

all TP is designed to dissolve in water. We use our regular Charmin.

We also don't add any of the poo-dissector chemicals.

Oh, but i do regularly use the Calgon/woolite mixture in the black tank to make everything non-stick and extra flow-able.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We've been using Scotts for Septic Systems for years. Priced below the RV TP , available at WalMart and isn't single ply. It breaks down the same as the RV TP and we use it at home as well.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #6

The RV paper I've seen is narrower than home paper and the rolls are also smaller diameter which makes it even more of a rip off.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #7

I do belive any TP that is labeled 'Septic Safe' is the same as the RV labeled product.
jwuertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Dallas Texas

We use the regular Scott's 1000pc per roll stuff. It's the same stuff at any supermarket, wallmart, target, etc. It 'disolves' quickly. Try it in your experiment.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ View Post
We use the regular Scott's 1000pc per roll stuff. It's the same stuff at any supermarket, wallmart, target, etc. It 'disolves' quickly. Try it in your experiment.
we also use the Scott 1000 with good luck... no chemicals here either, just water softner and laundry detergent
2011: 365
2012: 365
Fulltimers
viperjpm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Not all RV label TP work the same. I do have a favorite brand that I get at WalMart but it is the higher price package & it seems to last longer too. The other cheaper brand @ WalMart doesn't seem to break down as fast as the Marine brand.

After seeing the test jars at the RV show last October I also would consider using Kirkland brand. Don't know if it makes a difference but they used 1 sheet of each type and placed in same size containers with equal water.

Some household TPs are now coming narrower too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #11

Cottonelle works great, dissolves quickly, is very butt-friendly, and priced right when you catch it on sale.

We use it in the MoHo and our septic system, and never have a problem. Been using it in RV's for many years.

I can't convince the DW to shift to Kirkland, but use it in the guest baths. I tested it and it breaks down faster than most, but holds up when you need it to.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #12

This gets debated from time to time. Some say they have problems unless they use RV paper some say they use regular TP wiith no problems.

All I can say is we use the same TP that we use at home with no issues to date. (Since 1986 in 4 different RVs). Its kind of like I never understand why an RVer coming into a campsite feel they have to hook their sewer line up when they first get in (I do understand if they come in with full tanks) whether it is daytime, midnight, or raining.
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
This gets debated from time to time. Some say they have problems unless they use RV paper some say they use regular TP wiith no problems.

All I can say is we use the same TP that we use at home with no issues to date. (Since 1986 in 4 different RVs). Its kind of like I never understand why an RVer coming into a campsite feel they have to hook their sewer line up when they first get in (I do understand if they come in with full tanks) whether it is daytime, midnight, or raining.
The first time we had hookups with the TT (now replaced with a FR MH) I knew that I did not need to connect right away.

Daughter, then 26, knew we had hookups and therefore there was no reason or need to be frugal with water while washing dishes.

Before the dishes were done she asked me why there was water in the shower.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Ditto on the Scotts safe for Septic Systems TP. Use it at home too (we have a seotic tank). Also us Odorlos dry RV toilet chemicals in the black tank. Seems to be working well for the last three years. No smell and the tanks dump completly. (we also have a flush tank thingy built in the tank).

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We use angel soft with no issues and is also butt friendly. As stated before any septic safe to will work. The secret to whatever tp you use is to have enough water in the toilet bowl and enough water in the tanks. We also flush the black tank really well most trips and use the geo method in the tank. That calgon and tide works wonders!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
CampingQueen

We use the 'Scott's' equivelent store brand, generally. Much cheaper than the RV specific papers, and like everyone else we've not had any problems EXCEPT for the time that I totally forgot to add the digester to the tank after winterizing...

Won't forget that again.... the tank digester/chemicals make a huge difference in whether the TP dissolves or clumps as I found out the hard way. We use the non-formaldahyde type of powder packets.
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
Oklahoma Proud

We bought 3-4 brands of rv tp from walmart. Liked scotts the best( higher ply) but never had any problems with any.

I think the trick is water, lots of water, keeps stuff liquid and helps disolves stuff too. When I dump the tank, I add water and a couple of packets, and always use lots of water when flushing. We don't boondock so we use lots of water.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #18

I use Angel Soft 2 ply from Walmart for $5.97 for 12 rolls. 300 sheets per roll. If you don't check you may buy the ones that are 264 sheets per roll.
When you add water is falls apart like other have mentioned.
It also says Septic Tank safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	angel 002.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	22717  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #19
Rod Johnsons Co Pilot

On our way out to California city for new years I discovered we only had half a roll of toilet paper for 3 people and 5 days! To the closest store we stopped. I ran in and bought store brand septic safe for 3$. Reading that, that is alll that you guys are using we will now be doing the same. Though I will get scotts instead of store brand!
Traci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

I have really small bay storage doors so it's easier to get to the sewer stuff when the other containers are already out. Everything has a space but it's sort of like a puzzle. I also like to pre-dump the grey tank as needed since it only takes 2 maybe 3 showers to fill up the tank.

I have waited until the next day to hook it up but this isn't my normal routine.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote