Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #1

Keeping Generator Stable in Truck Bed

I did not want to take the thread on whether you take your generator along when camping off topic.

I don’t take mine along regularly, but would like to do so more often. It’s a Craftsman 2000 W inverter.

The reason is that I have not found a way to reliably secure in the bed of my 2018 Ram 1500.

Any by secure, I’m not talking theft. I simply want to keep it from flying around the bed.

I use a cargo strap now to keep it abutted to the LH wheel well in the bed. This permits easy access when I need it, but it is difficult to maintain adequate pressure against the side of the wheel well, given the strap eyelet position-one forward and one aft. When I take an aggressive turn (obviously when not towing) it comes loose and there she goes....

Any reasonable and inexpensive method-home made or store bought? Or better yet just tell me I am missing something obvious with the tie downs.
planecrashlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

My generators just don’t move. Between their weight and the material of the bed liner, there is enough friction that only a wreck is going to move them.

Turning, accelerating, sudden deceleration, nothing moves them.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #3

Thanks. Could the answer be that I do not have a bed liner, just the bare surface? It is on year 2 of a 3 year lease, so buying a bed liner at this stage does not make sense. Perhaps a rubber mat of some kind?
planecrashlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by planecrashlaw View Post
I did not want to take the thread on whether you take your generator along when camping off topic.

I don’t take mine along regularly, but would like to do so more often. It’s a Craftsman 2000 W inverter.

The reason is that I have not found a way to reliably secure in the bed of my 2018 Ram 1500.

Any by secure, I’m not talking theft. I simply want to keep it from flying around the bed.

I use a cargo strap now to keep it abutted to the LH wheel well in the bed. This permits easy access when I need it, but it is difficult to maintain adequate pressure against the side of the wheel well, given the strap eyelet position-one forward and one aft. When I take an aggressive turn (obviously when not towing) it comes loose and there she goes....

Any reasonable and inexpensive method-home made or store bought? Or better yet just tell me I am missing something obvious with the tie downs.
Can't help but, if you had bought a Ram with "Rambox" you could just move the divider.
boydn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
PhD, Common Sense

The bed liner sure helps. Bare metal on bare metal won’t provide as much friction (assuming the genny doesn’t have rubber feet).

Maybe you could drive a few miles with a rubber mat (and without) and see what happens.

If it moves, then tie it down, probably with ratchet straps.

Next year, get a bed liner, the more rubbery, the better.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:23 AM   #6

I got one of those cargo adjustable bars that go across your bed and ratchet tightly into place. (Horrible Freight) It will keep your generator from going north to south, but you'd have to come up with something to keep it from going left and right. Like others have said, mine are heavy enough to stay in place without doing anything.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
Brake is on left

Quote:
I use a cargo strap now to keep it abutted to the LH wheel well in the bed. This permits easy access when I need it, but it is difficult to maintain adequate pressure against the side of the wheel well, given the strap eyelet position-one forward and one aft.
Does it not fit in front of, or behind the wheel well? If it does then that should solve the slide forward or back. If it has to be next to the well, can you use 2 straps? One forward and one to the back. That will keep it against the well and the individual straps will stop the fore/ aft movement.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks. Could the answer be that I do not have a bed liner, just the bare surface? It is on year 2 of a 3 year lease, so buying a bed liner at this stage does not make sense. Perhaps a rubber mat of some kind?
My F150 has the rubber factory mat and mine Honda 2000i hardly moves.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #9

Sometimes one can make a cradle out of 2X4's creating "grid" the generator can set in. The 2x4 frame could then be secured to the bed anchor points and a couple screw eyes set in the frame for a single tie down strap. With this frame extra cross pieces could be added to secure gas cans, 20# Propane tanks, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #10

Planecrashlaw, if you need an inexpensive mat try Blain’s Farm and Fleet for a small livestock mat. People outside of the Midwest or farm land are not going to understand what is meant by a livestock mat. https://www.farmandfleet.com/s/?keyword=livestock%20mat There is a Blain’s Farm and Fleet in Traverse City.
wszApex245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #11

I do have the spray in bed liner for starters. All I do for my Yamaha Inverter Generator is use a bungee cord fairly tightly around the handle to the stake pockets on the bed. It makes sure it will stay upright, and not roll around. I have a fifth wheel so the generator goes clear at the back against the tailgate. It will move around some but pretty much stays in place. You could also wrap it with some packing foam and another bungee cord incase it rubs up against anything. It will at least protect the outside of the generator.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #12

We bought a rubber mat for our truck. Sometimes it's hard to get things to move on that thing.
We took our measurements and got one from Tractor Supply, but Husky has ones that are made to fit specific vehicles here: https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/A...ridPageIndex=2
Old 09-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wszApex245 View Post
Planecrashlaw, if you need an inexpensive mat try Blain’s Farm and Fleet for a small livestock mat. People outside of the Midwest or farm land are not going to understand what is meant by a livestock mat. https://www.farmandfleet.com/s/?keyword=livestock%20mat There is a Blain’s Farm and Fleet in Traverse City.
Hey, people outside the Midwest have farms and animals too

My local Co-op sells "stall mats" that often end up as pickup bed mats.

For the record I have a Phd (Piled Higher and Deeper) in cattle byproducts. Dates back to before barn cleaners. I got put out of work by a new Badger Barn Cleaner.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #14

Smile

Well we now know TitanMike is from the “... farm land ...” Cow folk are good people.
wszApex245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #15

They also sell the rubber livestock mats at Tractor Supply. [Side Note: We live in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and all my neighbors drive horses and buggies. There are more cows in my neighborhood than cars. I don't have a PhD like Titanmike though!]

I would also use a six foot rachet strap to go from the generator to the front cargo hook; then use a second racheting cargo strap to go from the genny to the rear cargo hook on that side. Rachet them tight and the generator shouldn't go anywhere. I never depend on bungee cords, as they stretch considerably under any stress at all and are an accident waiting to happen.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #16

I secure mine to the cargo tie down with chain and padlock for security purposes. I've never had a problem with sliding or tipping over. I pad it with an old towel to prevent the chain and the side of the bed from rubbing on the generator.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #17

When I take either of my generators, I put them in between the front the 5th wheel hitch and the back of the cab. Use ratchet straps, generally don't move unless I didn't get them as tight as I should have.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #18

Horse mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wszApex245 View Post
I have a livestock mat with holes under my generator to keep it off the metal tray. Cuts down on noise also. Cuts easily with large shears. Sorry photo doesn’t show mat very well. Tractor Supply has them. One inch thich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81F0C57F-8CA7-4696-9D47-F62FBB5439A8.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	238380  
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #19

Generator

Buy a $30 stall mat from a farm supply. It will not fly out w/o generator on it. W/ the generator on it, generator will not slide. At the end of lease you can pull it out.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #20

I wonder if one of those rubber shower mats with the suction cups on the bottom like WMT sells might work?
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, generator, truck