Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #41
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I live mine plugged in 24/7 365 .
never had an issue.
most newer units have a 3 stage charging system as mine does
1st bulk charge
2nd absorption charge
3rd float charge
After asking the question in another post, I was told best option was to remove battery, hook up trickle charger and store it.

I would prefer do nothing, just leave it plugged in into the trailer as I would during the summer. I was really confused about this because why is it ok to leave plugged in during summer and not during winter? was told it could hurt the battery.

After reading this thread, I get different answers so what is the verdict?
I have a WFC 8955PEC 3 stage converter.
Can/should I just leave the battery on, connected to trailer, all breakers on, just do nothing? or should I disconnect from trailer and attach a trickle charger?
does the cold climate have anything to do with it?
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #42
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I feel do what you are comfortable with.
I leave mine plugged in year round.

Check water level once a month.
I tend to be in my camper throughout the winter so I have lights on and such and check things out..
my last camper battery was 6 years old. So I must be doing something right.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #43
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
trust me there sealed
you say to check water levels?
what if battery is sealed? what difference does it makes?

so we will not be using camper but will leave breakers on and adding an electronic rodent control to the trailer
Timbrens
Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #44
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
you say to check water levels?
what if battery is sealed? what difference does it makes?

so we will not be using camper but will leave breakers on and adding an electronic rodent control to the trailer
If you can check them do so right?
I don't have that option.
I have an optima blue top
Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #45
New Camper Owner

100 bucks for a battery tender? I use a battery tender from Harbor Freight, it cost $14 but got it on sale for $6. Works great, use one on my atv, lawnmower, boat and such during low usage or winter. If your battery is fully charged when you hook up the battery tender, this cheap one will work.
camperou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #46
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperou812 View Post
100 bucks for a battery tender? I use a battery tender from Harbor Freight, it cost $14 but got it on sale for $6. Works great, use one on my atv, lawnmower, boat and such during low usage or winter. If your battery is fully charged when you hook up the battery tender, this cheap one will work.

harbor frieght sells cheap imported crap in my opinion.
you may get years of great service from there products but as always you get what you pay for!
my boss buys things from harbor freight and has issues with half . I do not know why he continues to buy from there .

besides battery tender brand chargers sell for as low as 40.00 shipped
Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #47

I leave mine plugged in 24-7 , (Only time its without AC is when I'm traveling) My previous camper- 6yrs no problems, new camper 2 yrs no problem. live in mountians of WV and get plenty of snow and cold weather. I say do what works for you.

Ron & Barb
2004 GMC 2500
2010 Wildwood 29BHBS
wvfireboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #48

If you do decide to leave the battery installed and hook your charger to it, but you're worried that too much charge will "cook" your battery, you could always plug your charger into a timer. Set it to come on only for an hour or two every day, and it should never get warm enough to cook anything. Battery disconnect switches are a good thing, too. Good luck!
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #49
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
If you do decide to leave the battery installed and hook your charger to it, but you're worried that too much charge will "cook" your battery, you could always plug your charger into a timer. Set it to come on only for an hour or two every day, and it should never get warm enough to cook anything. Battery disconnect switches are a good thing, too. Good luck!
I thought of that but after reading around, I learned that a 3 stage charger like the one on my TT keeps the battery charged and goes into float/trickle mode
Timbrens
Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #50

Send a message via AIM to jk31668
i live in the midatlantic region and leave my mh plugged in 24-7 as our area is prone to power outages all the time during the winter so i keep the rig charged, gassed, and full of propane in case i need to "camp" in my yard. i run the genny every month and check the water levels in the batteries at the same time.
jk31668 is offline   Reply With Quote