Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2020, 09:06 AM   #1

Keyless entry - how long should batteries last?

I have a keyless entry on my toyhauler and the batteries never last more than two or three months. We only use the toyhauler 1-3 times a year. While I like the keyless entry, I feel I spend more time replacing batteries than it takes me to reach into my pocket for a key. Also I never know when they will fail and leave me locked out so I have to carry my keys anyway. I have taken the unit apart to make sure everything moves freely and there is no binding or drag.

Is it normal to only get a few months out of the batteries? Also I use alkalines.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Team

You should probably be using lithium batteries, but you should get more than 2 to 3 months out of a good set of alkaline batteries. I see that you're in Kansas and cold affects alkaline battery life a good bit.

If your lock has a wireless keyfob accessory it has to stay awake all the time 'listening' for a signal from the fob, (even if you don't have the fob) and that affects battery life greatly.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #3

You dont say what brand but I can tell you that i have an Rvlock and batteries last more than one year. Part of my dewinterizing routine is to replace all the batteries in including the RVLock, Fire Alarm, CO alarm. Ive never had to replace them otherwise.

RVLock has a switch that disables the receiver for the signal from the fob. I do try to remember to turn that off if I'm away for long periods; however, I often forget. Keypad still works.

Have you tried the replaced batteries in another appliance? Maybe there is a contact issue that's appearing as a dead battery problem.

Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Always Learning

What brand lock is it?

For fulltime use, my RVLock goes through batteries about every 9-12 months.

However, my buddy's RVLock was going through batteries every 2-3 months.

Seemingly the same lock. He worked with their warranty folks and swapped out parts until they figured out the problem. I don't know which part it was specifically, but there's a solution out there if that's the kind you have.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

I always take my batteries out when I winterize, the Bauer lock instructions say to if not used for awhile. Mine lasted a full year with sporadic use and are still good.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #6

Defective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I have a keyless entry on my toyhauler and the batteries never last more than two or three months. We only use the toyhauler 1-3 times a year. While I like the keyless entry, I feel I spend more time replacing batteries than it takes me to reach into my pocket for a key. Also I never know when they will fail and leave me locked out so I have to carry my keys anyway. I have taken the unit apart to make sure everything moves freely and there is no binding or drag.

Is it normal to only get a few months out of the batteries? Also I use alkalines.
Possibly the entry lock circuit is defective. It's hard to make a circuit that operates and only draws microamps.

Case in point: I bought a few keyfobs for the Tahoe from Ali Express. Made the mistake of getting the cheapest. One was DOA. The other drains a CR2032 in about 60 days. I concluded that these were test fails that someone plucked out of the trash and was selling.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I always take my batteries out when I winterize, the Bauer lock instructions say to if not used for awhile. Mine lasted a full year with sporadic use and are still good.
Question - When you remove the batteries over the winter, does your number pass code stay in its memory or do you have to reset it each spring? My son-in-law told me that it does remember the pass code on his and his batteries last about 2 years. But he lets the batteries in all winter and only changes when it gives a signal to change the batteries.
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

I don't remember having to re-program it. Just stuck batteries back in and it worked again. Pretty sure.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:17 PM   #9
Old Engineer

We have an RVLock key-less entry and use Lithium AA batteries in it.

They have lasted 2 years so far.

I do notice that the key beep has lower volume in cold temps.

Also, Lithium's will not leak and destroy the lock like alkaline batteries will, not a question of "if" but "when".

I no longer use alkaline batteries in ANYTHING.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #10

I just changed my RVlock batterries. They had been in for 14 months (alkaline) and my RV is parked near my house so I used the touchpad or remote at least 4 times a month year round, more when we are camping of course.
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:55 PM   #11

The keyless entry system was on the camper when I bought it new. It is a 2014 Cherokee Greywolf 27rr. It has always used up batteries quickly since new. There is no key fob, it has a keypad on the door. Sorry to be so long getting back.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #12

I have a 2014 Crusader 295RST. It has the keypad door lock with no remote. I'm lucky to get 4 or 5 months out of my batteries. As mentioned, I'm afraid to leave the trailer without my keys as you don't know when the batteries will be weak enough that the lock won't open. It always seems to lock, even if the batteries are weak, but suddenly it won't open.
free83118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #13

I have the bauer keypad keyless entry. When I put it on my tt I was afraid of the batteries going bad and leaving me out of the tt without a key. To solve this I bought one of the little combination key lock boxes to put a spare key into (they aren't very expensive). I hid this under the tt. I've never been locked out by dead batteries and mine last quite awhile but never say never, always good to have a backup plan.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries