Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddjn3399 View Post
I didn't know there are diffrent grades.
I remember reading it from KOA. It was a while ago. Closer the an attraction, usually a nicer more expensive CG. That's my findings and sometimes they are the only listing you can find for a location. On the road I'll take a chance on finding a CG. But, going to a particular location for a period of time, I like to have a reservation. Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #22
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

One thing about KOA's...

You can always count on good hookups from them!

Also, if you are looking for a place to pull in after dark, most KOA's are the best for this!

I've stayed at a lot of KOA's over the years and have never had a bad experience.

And if you plan on staying there a lot, then the KOA membership is worth it!

(Photos at Richfield, UT KOA)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerUtahKOA-P1020457.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	198368   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerUtahKOA-P1020477.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	198369  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I remember reading it from KOA. It was a while ago. Closer the an attraction, usually a nicer more expensive CG. That's my findings and sometimes they are the only listing you can find for a location. On the road I'll take a chance on finding a CG. But, going to a particular location for a period of time, I like to have a reservation. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the input
Juddjn3399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
One thing about KOA's...

You can always count on good hookups from them!

Also, if you are looking for a place to pull in after dark, most KOA's are the best for this!

I've stayed at a lot of KOA's over the years and have never had a bad experience.

And if you plan on staying there a lot, then the KOA membership is worth it!

(Photos at Richfield, UT KOA)
Thank you for the input. Good looking rig you have. I am looking forward to this years camping season and hopefully the KOAs will be great.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #25

Like any other CG, you're gonna find Good and you're gonna find Bad. I wouldn't recommend the one by us off the Interstate to anybody. It's dirty, rundown. There's some old beat up trailers that sit there all year...I wouldn't let my dog live in. We've stayed in some beautiful ones in SD and other parts...but I would never recommend this particular one.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Like any other CG, you're gonna find Good and you're gonna find Bad. I wouldn't recommend the one by us off the Interstate to anybody. It's dirty, rundown. There's some old beat up trailers that sit there all year...I wouldn't let my dog live in. We've stayed in some beautiful ones in SD and other parts...but I would never recommend this particular one.
Wow, sounds like whatever one your by is not one i want to be at. Lol
Old 03-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #27

In my experience, KOAs are generally decent, but its worth researching each location independantly.

I stayed at a KOA outside Louisville, KY over Kentucky Derby weekend and vowed never to stay at one again. (Even that location may be ok on other weeekends.)

Against my opinion and recommendstion, I broke this vow at Devil's Tower, WY. Sure glad I did. Had a great time there.

We've stayed at several since but first look at reviews before booking.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
In my experience, KOAs are generally decent, but its worth researching each location independantly.

I stayed at a KOA outside Louisville, KY over Kentucky Derby weekend and vowed never to stay at one again. (Even that location may be ok on other weeekends.)

Against my opinion and recommendstion, I broke this vow at Devil's Tower, WY. Sure glad I did. Had a great time there.

We've stayed at several since but first look at reviews before booking.
Thanks, I try to avoid any of the big weekends if i can, i always go a week after a holiday, try to stay through the week instead of weekends, anything to avoid crowds. Lol
Old 03-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #29

I admit I usually prefer the peace and space of a provincial park, but having said that, the KOA in Sault Ste Marie Ontario is the nicest private park weve camped in - and its only about a 15 minute drive from the Michigan border.
Blue Ox SwayPro
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #30
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddjn3399 View Post
Hello, I am sure there has been discussion previously in the topic and a few of you will inform me of that, but i am asking anyway. I live in michigan and this is me and my family's second year of camping in our new Camper. Last year we primarily stayed in state park, our last trip of the year last year was a state park with full hook-ups which only a few in our state have that. That was so nice, made it easy with the two year old to shower in the camper. We generally stay for a week so our tanks fill up fast if we shower without full hook ups. So this year we are trying some KOA campgrounds. We have booked 3 so far for the year and am sure we will add a few more trips. We choose KOA because they have full hooks up and they look nice on the website. I have however heard some bad things about them being very loud and uncontrolled. Have read complaints about being dirty and geared more towards parting. We are more into the quite scene are not big partyers. So does anyone have any KOA experinace. How are they? Are they as rowdy as some have said? Any input is appreciated.
Momma always said, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what yer gonna get"
Old 03-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfort View Post
Momma always said, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what yer gonna get"
Yep...probably best way to sum it up. Do research.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #32

Thank you for all the replies. Being pretty new to having a travel trailer its nice to know there is a huge group if people with experience I can rely on
Old 03-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #33

Quote:
I was just getting ready to type the same thing.

My wife and I used to stay at KOA's exclusively when we were camping across the country. They provided a nice directory, had locations spread around the country that accommodated our nightly stops, and you could count on the hookups working and Bathrooms being clean. Some had nice little stores that provided some basic supplies, both for the RV and Pantry.

THEN

They started to change. Some campgrounds took down their KOA signs. Some KOA's started to deteriorate. On my last two trips from WA to NM I stayed at former KOA's that were extremely nice. People explained that they were tired of paying the royalties and when their franchise ran out they went out on their own.

I also stayed at some KOA's that were among the worst. One I stopped at in CA had an office that was staffed only between 11 AM and 2 PM. A husband/wife team and one of them manned the office when they weren't working on another job. Campsites were full of water after a rainstorm and they didn't drain because so much road gravel had been added the sites were below the road. Electrical worked OK but only after I got out my 50/30 "dogbone" and plugged into the 50 amp receptacle (I only have 30 amp). The 30 amp receptacle clearly was burned out.

In my experience KOA's, at least here in the West, have become that proverbial "box of chocolates". Maybe the ones near big attractions are an exception but haven't stayed at one lately so I can't say. I did stay at a KOA in West Yellowstone some time ago. "On paper" it looked really good with an indoor pool and Jacuzzi. Problem was, both were so full of green algae there's no way anyone should be using them but people were still jumping right in.

My conclusion is that maybe once upon a time having a KOA sign out front meant a predictably neat, clean, well maintained, facility that was worth the few dollars extra. Unfortunately that has not been the case in my experience and I've found independent campgrounds to be everything KOA promised.

Maybe this is why I now prefer boondocking. I don't expect the amenities so I'm never disappointed.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #34
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Yup!

Like the Wellington, Colorado KOA...

Very nice RV park...ruined by the huge cattle farm across the road!

The smell and the flies were terrible!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerRainbow-P1000216.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	812.7 KB
ID:	198373   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerFlagsJuly4-P1000235.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	714.0 KB
ID:	198374   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerViewFTCKOA-P1000200.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	645.9 KB
ID:	198375  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #35

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #36

Quote:
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.
Could you get your camper in the room?

Old 03-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Could you get your camper in the room?
I wanted to, but they were going to charge me double.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #38

Quote:
I wanted to, but they were going to charge me double.
You must have a slide or two on it.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #39

... we've traveled over 100,000 miles in just short of 4 1/2 years and had NEVER stayed in any KOA, until just recently, for a simple overnight.

KOA is simply just a 'branded' set of campgrounds, all individually owned, but running along a set of parameters that KOA allows, and KOA provides for much of the 'advertising' for those owners, and the website for reservations, etc... but KOA also has expectations of each owner, though each campground is different, on it's own merits.

KOA also tends to be on the much higher side of the RV Park or Campground price range. Some will be o.k. with that as they think that they are getting all the amenities, like pools, playgrounds, etc., that especially the younger kids like.
There are certainly plenty of other rv parks and campgrounds that are just as well suited, and just as 'fun', if that's what you're looking for. Google maps search with 'campground' will generally show both rv parks and campgrounds, whether private or state, federal, or local/regional types.

While some like to 'camp', and have activities designed toward the younger crowd, many of us are not looking to camp, at least not in the same 'style'. The definition between camping and rving can be vastly different, as many who want the rving lifestyle may be more prone to look for quieter surroundings, though some also like the 'social' part of being in close proximity to others, with common interest.

DISH has an advertisement running now... showing a family with young children camping in their travel trailer. Of course, as an advertisement for Dish, the TV viewing is part of the equation - but not just inside TV viewing, but using their Dish antenna and receiver to watch tv, outside, on a bedsheet hung between two trees, apparently with a projector screen. Hmmm... some would brand this less as 'camping', and more entertainment for the kids. Some of the rest of us would hope this family is not right next to us.

Yes, KOA's are probably more suited for young children. You expect it when you arrive. You tolerate it if they are right next to you. You come back if that's acceptable to your 'camping' style. Some of us will, some of us won't. And, some will complain that those of us who don't really like it are not really 'campers' - you should always have a campfire, roast 'mellows, and sing kumbaya, or else you shouldn't be here.

Maybe that's what RV Parks are - for the rest of us : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #40

Is the membership fee worth the cost?

In our experience, yes. Since we stay there a lot, here are a couple of tips.

- Book online, you'll get additional points for booking online
- There are three different levels of KOA. Go to www.koa.com and click on the Camping at KOA to see what the three different levels provide. Price usually goes up when you get to the 'resort'.
- Click on the Reward tab and scroll down to the Reward Points chart. If you hold off on redeeming points, you earn more rewards.
- Read each campgrounds description. If you see language like 'upgrading', 'undergoing renovations', 'new KOA', you're probably dealing with an older campground. That's not bad. It just means that not everything will be to current KOA standards.
- Don't forget to redeem those points before your trip ends.

Now sometimes you'll find yourself in a parking lot type setting (usually near cities) and you'll probably hear trains because almost all seem to be near train tracks or airports, but we like trains so that's not a problem.

Tags
campground, mpg