Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #1

KW 1 Filter Alternative

I've searched back thru previous threads about the KW-1 filter and didn't see anyone using an alternative filter in their housing. I have the regular threaded housing and it seems to be holding up well so far. But I ran across this site while researching filter replacements and wondering if anyone has tried them and will they really work in the KW-1 canister? Thanks
https://www.allfilters.com/carbonfil...YaAtY6EALw_wcB
Hope the link works!
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:26 PM   #2

That's a C-10 type filter not compatible. You might be better off switching to the C-10 type filter canister though because of the issues associated with the KW-1. There's an issue currently posted.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
That's a C-10 type filter not compatible. You might be better off switching to the C-10 type filter canister though because of the issues associated with the KW-1. There's an issue currently posted.
From my understanding of other posts, it is the KW-1 canisters that have the notched threads that have the issues. Mine has the regular threaded canister like other brands have but still uses that expensive filter. But I could be mistaken about this version not having problems. Anyway, the add shows replacement for the KW-1 in the header and description below. So was curious whether anyone else had tried them in their KW-1. Thank you for your reply.
Happy Camping!
Old 11-09-2021, 02:49 AM   #4

Just replace everything with the standard whole house filter from Lowes or Home Depot and be done with it! I had a Geo Pro and the first time I winterized, that's what I did.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
From my understanding of other posts, it is the KW-1 canisters that have the notched threads that have the issues. Mine has the regular threaded canister like other brands have but still uses that expensive filter. But I could be mistaken about this version not having problems. Anyway, the add shows replacement for the KW-1 in the header and description below. So was curious whether anyone else had tried them in their KW-1. Thank you for your reply.
I just assumed you had the Forest River KW-1 canister but if you have the regular threaded canister then any standard 2X10 inch filter will work. 2 for $8 at Lowes so just get one and see if it works. There is no need to replace your canister if this is true.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I just assumed you had the Forest River KW-1 canister but if you have the regular threaded canister then any standard 2X10 inch filter will work. 2 for $8 at Lowes so just get one and see if it works. There is no need to replace your canister if this is true.
Sorry, I think I even confused myself with my post. It is the WaterPur RCS canister that takes the KW-1 filter. I just went out and raised the cover to take some pics and clear it up in my own head. This model does not have the notched threads up in the base and does not need pushed up on to remove or install, just threaded on.
But while I had it apart and looking up into the base, I can see no way that filter in their listing could seal against any flat surface. So guess I have answered my own question and it will not work. Now wondering what KW-1 housing it would actual fit? If any?
Thanks again for the replies.Click image for larger version

Name:	20211109_090635.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	265513Click image for larger version

Name:	20211109_090619.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	265514
Happy Camping!