Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Last trip of the season

I decided to use the camper one last time for deer hunting here in Michigan. I hitched up Sunday morning and with my wife following in her car, we started out to Lake Hudson State Park in SE Lenawee county. 5 miles from our house, I hit a deer. It was a huge 6 point and since I hit it headon, my vehicle was undriveable, let alone able to tow my camper. After we got it off the road and everything squared away, I called a friend and asked if he could tow my camper back to the house (the tow truck took care of my truck). At that point, he offered to drag it to the campground and then pick it up the following Wednesday! I tell you what, that's what friends are for. We got it out to the CG with no problems and he dropped it off and left me. After being at the site about 4 hours, the campground 20 amp breaker started tripping. This was an annoyance. I couldn't use virtually any electricity. It's a self-serve campground so there wasn't anyone to talk to. My wife suggested I just move the camper, but I told her that I didn't think I had enough duct tape to attach it to her van, to move it. Long story short, I spent three days in a hardsided near primative tent with sporadic electricity. Between the cg power and the batteries, I did have heat. It was surprisingly relaxing and I did get a nice 8 point hunting. In spite of the electrical problems, the campground is beautiful with very large sites. The only bad thing is there is no dump station. The park is a "Dark Sky preserve" and I can attest that the stars look spectacular with very little light pollution. It's also open to hunting but the campground and beach area are off limits. I did see DNRE officers patrolling and always felt safe. We still need to move the camper to storage and this weekend my friend is offering his truck again. Having a friend like this is the best. As soon as I recovered from the shock of hitting the deer, I thought "how am I going to get the camper home?". I then thought of my friend and he came through big time.

With the season winding down, I wish good luck for everyone and hope you all have friends you can count on.
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your TV I am glad that no one got hurt. Insurance will hopefully take good care of your TV.

Your friend is the best ! You are a really lucky guy ! You know that now you have to take him out camping and get him drunk right ?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #3

So.... as I understant it you got yourself a 6 point a 8 point, good insurance, a really good friend and no one was hurt ( except the deer ).
Sorry about the truck, but it sounds like things still turned out well everything considered.
Have a fantistic Thanksgiving !!
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #4

Yes, all in all it was pretty good. Expensive and nerve-wracking, but good. The first deer was pulverized, so that one stayed in the ditch. The second one is already back from the processor and tastes mighty fine.

And yes, my friend is the best. They also are our regular camping buddies so the drinking will definitely happen!
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote