Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #1

Latest Word on EFI Gen Sets in TH

Folks,
Apparently the professionals that are trying to install electronic fuel injected generators in toy haulers are still having problems. Seems from information I am getting, the folks at FR and Camping World are giving out bad information and bad installs.
Just to recap from my experience. An EFI gen set mounts in a TH the same as a carburetor model. The difference is the EFI gen set requires and external fuel pump. A so called factory prepped TH comes with two fuel lines that run from the generator compartment to the rear of the TH. One of these lines is a suction line from the on board fuel tank. The other line runs from the generator compartment to a vapor canister. That is all that is required for a carburetor gen set. An EFI gen set does not need the fuel vapor return line. This line can be re-purposed for your fuel return line. In order to do this you must disconnect it from the vapor canister at the rear of the TH and reroute it to the fuel tank. There is no vacant existing nipple to connect this return hose to. What if have found to work is to put a "T" in the hose running from the fuel over flow line at the fuel filler port on the side of the TH. There is the large hose that the fuel dispenser goes in and the beside this large hose is a smaller hose where any fuel spilled when filling goes to return to the tank. The "t" is added to this small hose. The return hose from the EFI gen set is now connected to this "T". In my case, I put a ball valve in this small line between the "T" and the fuel inlet. When I am filling my fuel tank I open this valve to allow the tank to vent while filling. When I am through filling the tank at the pump, I close the valve which then allows the hose to be used as my fuel return line from the EFI gen set. This valve is really not necessary as long as your fuel fill cap is working properly. The on board fuel tank has another hose coming out of the top of it that also goes to the fuel vapor canister. The fuel tank MUST have a vapor line and the vapor canister must be in place. Recently, a well known national chain RV store installed an EFI gen set in a friends TH and they opted to disconnect the fuel vapor return line from the fuel tank and to use that nipple to connect the fuel return line. They told him there was no need to have a fuel vapor canister since all he had to do was loosen his gas cap and let the fuel tank vent there. Please do not do this. This creates a very dangerous situation for fires. Hopefully the tank manufacturers will soon begin to install an additional nipple on top of the fuel tank for fuel return lines. EFI is way better than carburetors and the manufacturers need to make installation of these units much easier.
Previously owned: 2014 Vengeance 25V, 2011 KZ 184,
2011 DIY 7 x 14 Enclosed Trailer,
Motorcycle pull behind cargo trailer with tent
smitty31093 is offline   Reply With Quote