Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

LCI Automatic Leveling System Fail?

I have a 2018 Forester Model 2801 with this system. On our last trip I noticed one of the leveling leg pads was badly bent and basically the pneumatic arm was punched through it thus going directly into the ground when lowered (and splitting wood boards and putting a hole in my rubber pad.)

My unit is far away at an RV shop in Maine right now with the intent on replacing this one. Upon inspection of the others, they too are showing major stress/wear at this connection point and I'm probably not far from them having the same issue, I'm told. (See pics attached that show a new one, my bad one with the largest hole, and then another one showing a widened hole.)

This is a very common jack system, I think. Has anyone experienced the same kind of issue with theirs. My unit isn't even 2 years old yet. Though we've stayed in some camp sites that aren't perfect (gravel/slightly uneven ground) I've tried to be cautious as to what I'm lowering my jacks down on. (Plus have used rubber pads many times in these conditions.)

So, is there any way to avoid this issue and would you replace all four metal jack pads at this time if they were showing this type of wear? Any other thoughts/questions appreciated...got to make some decisions and have my RV place get this work done in the next 3 weeks when we return!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Foot Pad.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	214601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foot Pad Showing Wear.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	214602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foot Pad Broken.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	214603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Comparison Foot Pads.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	214604  

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #2

Are they welded on or screw on? If punching through, I would have/weld a plate to the bottom with a tack weld to the shaft through a drilled hole in the center of the plate.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Are they welded on or screw on? If punching through, I would have/weld a plate to the bottom with a tack weld to the shaft through a drilled hole in the center of the plate.
I believe there's a large bolt that is flush with the bottom that holds it on. Thx.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #4

If that's the case then it would be easier to take them off and brace them better. A good welding shop could fix so you don't have that happen again.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
NXR

Looks like you have the same jack foot pads I have on my Georgetown. See this thread for my saga: How my $110 SnapPads cost me another $115 (so far) - iRV2 Forums

The short version is that the bowing you experienced is a common problem and has been since those feet were introduced in 2017. They're about $34 from LCI. The RV SnapPad folks really came through in helping me troubleshoot the problem and I am very happy with their product.

Mine came bent from the factory as far as I know. So far no decision on whether FR will cover the cost under warranty.

Check out my pictures of how a new foot pad compares to the bent ones and see if that matches what you experienced.

Ray
Old 09-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #6

Even though there wasn't much interest/response for this topic, I did want to share that I sent Lippert (it's their leveling system) these photos and they agreed it was unusual to have the problems I have. They are graciously sending me new footpads to be installed. I'm now going to add the rubber "Snap Pads" to them to further help with stability in the future.

I agree with those that said to have a welding shop reinforce them...but that shouldn't have to happen on a quality built product. Guessing the thousands of users with a similar system have never experienced this issue.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
Even though there wasn't much interest/response for this topic, I did want to share that I sent Lippert (it's their leveling system) these photos and they agreed it was unusual to have the problems I have. They are graciously sending me new footpads to be installed. I'm now going to add the rubber "Snap Pads" to them to further help with stability in the future.

I agree with those that said to have a welding shop reinforce them...but that shouldn't have to happen on a quality built product. Guessing the thousands of users with a similar system have never experienced this issue.
This shouldn't happen but then again they are lippert not quality built products. make em cheap as you can . looks like stamped steel pads . i would get the new ones the get a welder to reinforce or you'll do this again in a couple years
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Looks like you have the same jack foot pads I have on my Georgetown. See this thread for my saga: How my $110 SnapPads cost me another $115 (so far) - iRV2 Forums

The short version is that the bowing you experienced is a common problem and has been since those feet were introduced in 2017. They're about $34 from LCI. The RV SnapPad folks really came through in helping me troubleshoot the problem and I am very happy with their product.

Mine came bent from the factory as far as I know. So far no decision on whether FR will cover the cost under warranty.

Check out my pictures of how a new foot pad compares to the bent ones and see if that matches what you experienced.

Ray
What a great narrative...thanks for sharing and taking the time to so clearly describe your challenge. I never thought of the Lippert leveling system to be a "maintenance" concern but I think you nailed it with this specific comment-

"I strongly suggest anyone with Lippert leveling jacks give their jack feet pads a twist and see if they spin. If they do, they're loose. The bolt is probably an inch or inch and a half long so it likely won't fall right off but loose is loose."

That, I think, is EXACTLY what caused my multiple foot pad problems and something I'll check/watch out for in the future now.

So regarding the Snap Pad installation, I had heard that you should maybe "seal" them after installation to keep water from getting trapped and to hopefully hold them on more permanently...any thoughts on that. (You didn't mention any sealing.) Thanks!

Old 09-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
So regarding the Snap Pad installation, I had heard that you should maybe "seal" them after installation to keep water from getting trapped and to hopefully hold them on more permanently...any thoughts on that. (You didn't mention any sealing.) Thanks!
SnapPad suggested spraying FlexSeal on them. I did and it was messy. But I did it.

No idea if it helped or not, though.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
What a great narrative...thanks for sharing and taking the time to so clearly describe your challenge. I never thought of the Lippert leveling system to be a "maintenance" concern but I think you nailed it with this specific comment-

"I strongly suggest anyone with Lippert leveling jacks give their jack feet pads a twist and see if they spin. If they do, they're loose. The bolt is probably an inch or inch and a half long so it likely won't fall right off but loose is loose."

That, I think, is EXACTLY what caused my multiple foot pad problems and something I'll check/watch out for in the future now.

Thanks for the kind comment. RV SnapPad suggests coating the jack feet with FlexSeal before installing SnapPads but I did not do that. There is a big hole in the bottom of the SnapPad for the bolt to go through as well as "slots" on the side tops. The jack feet have holes in them so I doubt they would hold water long enough to cause a problem. That may be a general recommendation from them because they work with all kinds of manufacturers.

You do not want to really crank down on that bolt because the feet do need to pivot a bit for an off-level site. The hole in the jack foot is over-sized for that purpose. There is an o-ring on either side of the jack foot that seems to be there so the foot can pivot a bit. There was no torque setting I could find for the jack feet.

One thing I did that is not in their installation instructions was to hit the jack feet with a hose to wash away the dish soap used to ease the installation. I got a lot of suds off each one so hopefully that helped keep them from slipping loose as well. A lot of suds drained out that bottom bolt hole.

Ray
Old 09-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #11

There is another RV leveling system called Equalizer Systems. They use a more robust ram and have several heavy duty steel pads on their products page. Check to see if the holes are close enough to match I bet you won’t bend those pads. I am curious myself as I have noticed them on several coaches we have camped next to and they make the LCI pads look like tin foil.

https://equalizersystems.com/product...rts/foot-pads/
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #12

That's what I had installed on mine. Equalizer. Only difference I did was have them put all the equipment to make the work in an empty bin rather then underneath on the frame. Still looks new and easy to get to if needed. Holes for hoses and wires are sealed.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #13

So I have now heard from a very reliable source that Lippert began manufacturing their leveling system footpads with a thinner/less strong steel for units installed in 2018 and now 2019 models. (Mine is a 2018)

Hence their willingness to provide me some new footpads at no cost when pressed with photos and questions. I will also hopefully be protecting my new footpads with the SnapPad product before they get in use.

We'll see...always an adventure in the RV world.

Tags
leveling