Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #1

Leaks and Mold

Hey y'all out there!

Been on a long journey of looking at different types of RV's for two years now. I have mold allergies and mold sickness pretty bad, and I am wondering if RV'ing is a bad choice for me? I'm being treated for mold toxicity (something that we had a hard time diagnosing for over 25 years now), and I don't want to add fuel to the fire. But we really want to RV too!!!!

As a general rule, does anyone out there know if RV's are just simply gonna be moldy, whether they leak or not? And if there was a leak discovered from the roof, and promptly fixed, could there be hidden water damage? FYI, I recently talked to a professional that told me that houses can get mold in them just from us opening the doors and walking in and out. So, it's going to be an ongoing thing wherever you are, but you just don't want to get something that will be a real problem. I've seen those poor people who bought RV's used, only to have to gut them because of water damage. Of course most of them were pretty old.

We have a friend who has a 2014 Forest River Solera C Class that would be perfect for us except the roof did leak one time and was fixed soon after. It was over the bed apparently. I don't know if I should assume that there is mold growing there, but it did leave a stain he said. We might go look at it, and I might even consider having it mold tested, unless someone told me to don't walk, run! However, mold is everywhere and you can put mold air purifiers in your breathing space that help alot. However, I am not one to want to inherit someone else's problem, and I'm concerned that there could be one. I would be sure to get a tech to look it over and see if they can tell if there is a water damage concern.

We can't really afford to spend on a brand new C Class, so thought maybe used might be an option. Still looking at Travel Trailers too. Oh, and this C Class Solera has always been kept under cover, but this incident happened unfortunately on the road.

If there is anyone out there that has knowledge of mold and RV's, I would love to hear your take on what I have just mentioned above. I just don't want to make an expensive mistake, not to mention something that could compromise health. Thank you so much! Happy Trails to all!
Drummergirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #2

Not nearly the same as mold allergies, but DW has non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The chemo (she is in remission now and on "maintenance chemo") took a real toll on her digestive and immune systems. But she still loves to camp.

What we have decided to do is to only go to parks and campgrounds that have clean restrooms with running water. A lot of Colorado public campgrounds at higher elevations have vault toilets, but she doesn't feel comfortable with no water readily available should things go downhill on a camping trip (they have once already). And some of the Forest Service campgrounds have "outhouse style" toilets - those are a definite no-no.

We also went to a HW A-frame from a regular A-frame. That gained us a cassette potty inside (critical need), some more room inside, higher cabinets, bigger fridge, and a dormer (all nice to have).

Although I miss camping at some of the more scenic and wild campgrounds, at least we are still camping on a regular basis. I am very thankful. I tell the story to give you some ideas on how to deal with limitations.

My wish for you would be that you find the camping style and equipment that will let truly enjoy the experience.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Not nearly the same as mold allergies, but DW has non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The chemo (she is in remission now and on "maintenance chemo") took a real toll on her digestive and immune systems. But she still loves to camp.

What we have decided to do is to only go to parks and campgrounds that have clean restrooms with running water. A lot of Colorado public campgrounds at higher elevations have vault toilets, but she doesn't feel comfortable with no water readily available should things go downhill on a camping trip (they have once already). And some of the Forest Service campgrounds have "outhouse style" toilets - those are a definite no-no.

We also went to a HW A-frame from a regular A-frame. That gained us a cassette potty inside (critical need), some more room inside, higher cabinets, bigger fridge, and a dormer (all nice to have).

Although I miss camping at some of the more scenic and wild campgrounds, at least we are still camping on a regular basis. I am very thankful. I tell the story to give you some ideas on how to deal with limitations.

My wish for you would be that you find the camping style and equipment that will let truly enjoy the experience.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
I'm glad that your wife is in remission, and that you can continue to camp together! So sorry to hear what she has been through though. Because of the chemo, I know that she has to be careful too. The cleaner the environment I think, all the better.

We decided not to buy the C Class that had had a roof leak. Just a little too iffy for me. I have a mold remediation person coming in, and they told me that they could also tell me things to do for RV's to keep mold down. I think going in and out of an RV, just like a house, lets in mold spores. So, I guess it doesn't hurt to wipe things down some before setting sail. He also mentioned using a dehumidifier, which I have heard others say to use as well when their RV is parked. I don't want to live in a plastic bubble, but I guess I may have to be more careful than others for the time being. Thank you so much for your well wishes for us. Lord willing, we will find an RV this year and set sail!
Old 07-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Coach

Mold sensitivity is rough. Guaranteed there is mold in the air you're breathing right now, so getting away from mold is impossible without living in a bubble. The key is to not let mold take over. Well kept RV's shouldn't be any more susceptible to mold issues than your home as long as you're proactive. They just take a bit more effort since they're not as well insulated and sealed. You're already aware that moisture is the biggest enemy. Knowing there was a leak in the RV you are interested in isn't a deal breaker, just be cautious and thoroughly investigate for any lingering water damage or moisture. If you become a buyer of any RV, install a humidistat. If the interior RH gets above 55 - 60% you may need to consider a dehumidifier or additional ventilation especially if you're in a humid southern climate. Camping is enjoyed by all walks of life so don't let the fear of mold deter you if it's what you want to do. The biggest cause of runaway mold is neglect, or undetected problems. Happy Camping!

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
Lame *****

Don't buy a leaker in your condition.

Buy new. Seal the roof, caulk glob and goop it up. Inspect it and as mentioned control humidity.

Inspect it often and keep it covered if possible.

Maybe a western desert location. Humidity seems to be the best friend of mold.

Maggot

02 Chevy half ton

20 Puma 257RESS
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
Mold sensitivity is rough. Guaranteed there is mold in the air you're breathing right now, so getting away from mold is impossible without living in a bubble. The key is to not let mold take over. Well kept RV's shouldn't be any more susceptible to mold issues than your home as long as you're proactive. They just take a bit more effort since they're not as well insulated and sealed. You're already aware that moisture is the biggest enemy. Knowing there was a leak in the RV you are interested in isn't a deal breaker, just be cautious and thoroughly investigate for any lingering water damage or moisture. If you become a buyer of any RV, install a humidistat. If the interior RH gets above 55 - 60% you may need to consider a dehumidifier or additional ventilation especially if you're in a humid southern climate. Camping is enjoyed by all walks of life so don't let the fear of mold deter you if it's what you want to do. The biggest cause of runaway mold is neglect, or undetected problems. Happy Camping!
Thank you, I appreciate the idea of the humidistat. I will definitely put that on our list when we buy an RV. Question: Since the leak in the C Class RV we were considering was over the bed, how will we know for sure that it's a problem or not? I guess I'm just afraid that it would be rotten or something. I've heard tell of pressing down on it to see if it pushes in. But is that a good enough test? I probably would end up hiring a tech to do an inspection, but I'm I guess I'm just leary of the whole leak idea. I'm being treated for mold with my doctor, and it's kind of a hassle to do all these treatments. They say if you get exposed again, you have to start all over.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
Don't buy a leaker in your condition.

Buy new. Seal the roof, caulk glob and goop it up. Inspect it and as mentioned control humidity.

Inspect it often and keep it covered if possible.

Maybe a western desert location. Humidity seems to be the best friend of mold.

Maggot

02 Chevy half ton

20 Puma 257RESS
We are definitely humid in NC. I hope I don't have to move! We haven't even begun mold remediation in our home yet, but soon we will deal with it. I bet camping in the dessert would be best! Thanks for your advice!
Old 07-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
Lame *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummergirl8 View Post
We are definitely humid in NC. I hope I don't have to move! We haven't even begun mold remediation in our home yet, but soon we will deal with it. I bet camping in the dessert would be best! Thanks for your advice!

I love NC and SC. If I was there it would be hard to leave.

Oh man, you have it in the house and if it bothers you that is a big deal.

You can have a dry rig, just takes work. Not all leak but all can.

Maggot

02 Chevy half ton

20 Puma 257RESS
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
I love NC and SC. If I was there it would be hard to leave.

Oh man, you have it in the house and if it bothers you that is a big deal.

You can have a dry rig, just takes work. Not all leak but all can.

Maggot

02 Chevy half ton

20 Puma 257RESS
From what I understand, all homes have mold, but some are definitely worse. If they smell musty, then that's a big clue. Ours did not pass our first mold test, but that test may be flawed, so gonna let a professional use his test next and see how that goes. I think they can get our house up to par. We honestly never thought we had a problem here because we went to great pains to remove anything that mold could thrive in, like carpet for example. But it might be an easy fix and then we hope to get serious about an RV lifestyle. I know what you mean about being pro-active. I think that's why we haven't bought one yet, other than the money thing. It's a big responsibility to take care of for sure. And we take that seriously. And yes, it would be hard to leave NC! All our family is here and the climate is pretty decent most of the time. Hey thanks for your comments! All is appreciated! When we buy an RV, I need to make a big announcement, because I've been talking about it for so long, it may look like a modern day miracle!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #10
Coach

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate the idea of the humidistat. I will definitely put that on our list when we buy an RV. Question: Since the leak in the C Class RV we were considering was over the bed, how will we know for sure that it's a problem or not? I guess I'm just afraid that it would be rotten or something. I've heard tell of pressing down on it to see if it pushes in. But is that a good enough test? I probably would end up hiring a tech to do an inspection, but I'm I guess I'm just leary of the whole leak idea. I'm being treated for mold with my doctor, and it's kind of a hassle to do all these treatments. They say if you get exposed again, you have to start all over.
The outward signs that there was a leak would be staining on the paneling on the ceiling or walls many of us will run from anything that has them. Inspecting for soft spots is a little rough due to RV's having so many soft spots to begin with. Not like sticks and bricks construction where you can anticipate where studs and joists should be. Me being anal, I would tell the owner that I want to see behind the paneling where the leak was so I could see the wood and insulation with my own eyes. If it smells musty inside, that's a bad sign. Also if it smells too good like maybe someone is trying to mask a smell. Would need a thorough inspection inside and out. Especially the roof to see the quality of the repair and condition of any seam/caulking.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
Old 07-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #11
Coach

Quote:
From what I understand, all homes have mold, but some are definitely worse. If they smell musty, then that's a big clue. Ours did not pass our first mold test, but that test may be flawed, so gonna let a professional use his test next and see how that goes. I think they can get our house up to par. We honestly never thought we had a problem here because we went to great pains to remove anything that mold could thrive in, like carpet for example. But it might be an easy fix and then we hope to get serious about an RV lifestyle. I know what you mean about being pro-active. I think that's why we haven't bought one yet, other than the money thing. It's a big responsibility to take care of for sure. And we take that seriously. And yes, it would be hard to leave NC! All our family is here and the climate is pretty decent most of the time. Hey thanks for your comments! All is appreciated! When we buy an RV, I need to make a big announcement, because I've been talking about it for so long, it may look like a modern day miracle!
You're absolutely correct. Mold is all around us all the time. Most of the time the type and levels are fairly harmless. As far as your home goes there are many breeding grounds for mold as well. Bathrooms are the worst because most don't have an adequate vent fan to dissipate the humidity from showering and bathing. Central heating/cooling systems also commonly develop mold especially if your air handler or furnace is in an unfinished basement or isn't properly sized for your living space. Everyone knows that a too small air conditioner doesn't cool fast enough, but many don't know that an oversized one cools too fast and won't remove as much moisture from the air. An unfinished basement or garage that isn't isolated from the living space by a sealed door can also increase your mold exposure. I'm not trying to sound grim with all this, and most are worst case scenarios, but with your situation and the air test not passing, they're some things to look at for reasons why.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
Old 07-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #12

Quote:
The outward signs that there was a leak would be staining on the paneling on the ceiling or walls many of us will run from anything that has them. Inspecting for soft spots is a little rough due to RV's having so many soft spots to begin with. Not like sticks and bricks construction where you can anticipate where studs and joists should be. Me being anal, I would tell the owner that I want to see behind the paneling where the leak was so I could see the wood and insulation with my own eyes. If it smells musty inside, that's a bad sign. Also if it smells too good like maybe someone is trying to mask a smell. Would need a thorough inspection inside and out. Especially the roof to see the quality of the repair and condition of any seam/caulking.
The C Class we were thinking about has a stain in the ceiling we're told, so it wouldn't be hard to find it. They said they took it to get fixed right away upon return from their trip. I guess I have a hard time believing there won't be residual mold, even if you can't see water damage. Probably best to walk away from that one. For others, it may not be a problem for them physically. But I can't shake the feeling that it might be an issue for me.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #13

Condition beats age and price. 5 years ago the wife and I were shopping for a newer used Class C priced under $50K. This ain't my first rodeo so a moldy or musty smell is a deal killer. If the windows are all open when you drive up, drive away. Even 1 year old units smelled. Finally after searching all dealers in a 120 mile radius for 3 months we took a chance and looked at a 1997 on Craig's List priced at $8k. It had been kept inside all those years so it looked new inside and out and most importantly had been closed up sitting in the hot sun. Must have been 120 inside but absolutely no moldy or musty smell. I immediately applied Liquid Rood and 100 feet of Eternabond over every seam and trim. Now after being stored outside for 5 years at our house its still tight as a drum and no smell. I saved $42K on the price and everything still works like new.
TheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBar View Post
Condition beats age and price. 5 years ago the wife and I were shopping for a newer used Class C priced under $50K. This ain't my first rodeo so a moldy or musty smell is a deal killer. If the windows are all open when you drive up, drive away. Even 1 year old units smelled. Finally after searching all dealers in a 120 mile radius for 3 months we took a chance and looked at a 1997 on Craig's List priced at $8k. It had been kept inside all those years so it looked new inside and out and most importantly had been closed up sitting in the hot sun. Must have been 120 inside but absolutely no moldy or musty smell. I immediately applied Liquid Rood and 100 feet of Eternabond over every seam and trim. Now after being stored outside for 5 years at our house its still tight as a drum and no smell. I saved $42K on the price and everything still works like new.
That's amazing! I've never heard a success story like that. But I am a believer of keeping them sealed up and under a cover of some kind. I never thought a 1997 could stay in good shape though no matter how good the conditions, so I have learned a valuable lesson! Many thanks! Maybe I will stop overlooking the older models then, and go by how they smell and how they cared for it. It is harder to find such a treasure, but if they have been under a cover then that might be a very good place to start. Plus, I will probably get a tech to look it over too, since we will be newbies. But wow, 8000.00! That's going to be hard to top. I think your story might be a game changer for us though, so thank you. I always thought if I was going to be able to buy a Class C , we'd have to get one that is within 5 years old. Do you think it's a deal breaker to have a window in the overhead cab? A tech told my husband that it's the first place a class C will leak. This is going to sound silly, but is it okay to ever open the windows of a class C, or should they always stay closed up as a rule when you are camping. I would definitely keep it closed up as I stored it when not camping.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:50 PM   #15

Quote:
You're absolutely correct. Mold is all around us all the time. Most of the time the type and levels are fairly harmless. As far as your home goes there are many breeding grounds for mold as well. Bathrooms are the worst because most don't have an adequate vent fan to dissipate the humidity from showering and bathing. Central heating/cooling systems also commonly develop mold especially if your air handler or furnace is in an unfinished basement or isn't properly sized for your living space. Everyone knows that a too small air conditioner doesn't cool fast enough, but many don't know that an oversized one cools too fast and won't remove as much moisture from the air. An unfinished basement or garage that isn't isolated from the living space by a sealed door can also increase your mold exposure. I'm not trying to sound grim with all this, and most are worst case scenarios, but with your situation and the air test not passing, they're some things to look at for reasons why.
Thanks again. I didn't think about my door to the garage being a mold issue. We've been talking about replacing the garage door with a good metal door that would seal from the kitchen to the garage better. Sounds like now is the time to fix that issue. And I feel sure our ductwork is due for a good cleaning and disinfecting, as it's been over 15 years since we had it last done. No basement, but the crawl space will be something to investigate as well as our attic. I think our roof leaked near the chimney unbeknownst to us, and they found it and fixed it when they replaced our roof 2 1/2 years ago. So who knows if there are things still needed to remediate from that.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #16

The overhead cab window is one of the first places to leak but mine has never been a problem. I put clear Geocel caulking around the outer rubber seal on all the windows as double insurance they won't leak. This is a maintenance item that should be checked yearly to make sure the caulking is intact. Its ok to open the windows.
TheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, mold